Thread: .AVI movie has no video, only audio in windows media player

Default .AVI movie has no video, only audio in windows media player

I converted a movie using the Archos 604 format, but when I open the movie in Windows Media Player to test it, there is no video. Does anyone know why CloneDVDmobile movies don't play in windows? I tried it using the iPod format and that plays fine in Quicktime. What's wrong with the .AVI format? What isn't that compatible?

Thanks

avi files are compatible with windows media player-on my laptop they are anyway.
    try this:
    right click the avi file>open with>windows media player (tick the 'always use the selected program to open this type of file' if it works)
    or
    open windows media player (11)>right click near top of player window>tools>options>files types. then click 'select all'.
    hopefully that should work.

you might be missing the necessary video codec if it doesnt work.
    have you got DivX installed on your computer?
    installing DivX will give you the codec to play .avi files in windows media player.
    http://www.divx.com/
    Last edited by mike20021969; 5th December 2007 at 19:39.
    It's not copying... it's backing up
    Download AnyDVD HD - Get The Latest Stable Version HERE

Thanks mike20021969, looks like the DivX codec did the trick. I forgot to mention I'm using Vista and Media Player 11 so I couldn't find the Files and types to add all so I decided to just try the DivX link.

The codec even allowed me to open the video in my Video editor. Previously, as with Media Player, only the audio track would display.

Thanks!

glad you got it sorted
    Mike
    It's not copying... it's backing up
    Download AnyDVD HD - Get The Latest Stable Version HERE

If the AVI file was encoded with a non-Microsoft codec or with a codec not installed on your Windows, you will fail to play this kind of AVI video. For example, Fraps uses its own proprietary codec to encode its AVI movies which will not play in Windows Media Player.

In order to solve can't play AVI in Windows Media Player issue, a recommended solution is to convert AVI to Windows Media Player more compatible AVI, WMV, ASF, MPG. iDealshare VideoGo is just the ideal AVI to Windows Media Player which can convert all kinds of AVI files to Windows Media Player supported video format.

If the AVI file was encoded with a non-Microsoft codec or with a codec not installed on your Windows, you will fail to play this kind of AVI video. For example, Fraps uses its own proprietary codec to encode its AVI movies which will not play in Windows Media Player.

In order to solve can't play AVI in Windows Media Player issue, a recommended solution is to convert AVI to Windows Media Player more compatible AVI, WMV, ASF, MPG. iDealshare VideoGo is just the ideal AVI to Windows Media Player which can convert all kinds of AVI files to Windows Media Player supported video format.