Page 1 of 31 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: A Layman's Guide to Shrinking Blu-ray Size on Hard Drive

Default (UPDATED) A Layman's Guide to Shrinking Blu-ray Size on Hard Drive

A Layman's Guide to Shrinking Bluray Size on Hard Drive

01/05/08 original
    01/12/09 major update

Background:

This is a guide aimed squarely at reducing the Bluray movie size stored on a hard drive. Here we will concentrate on stripping unneeded audio tracks & movie supplements while preserving subtitles. In the end we will be left with (1) .iso file which will be mountable with VCD and playable through PDVD 8. Burning to disc is an option though file size will vary by movie and BD-50 media might be required.

On my movies all I want is (1) 1080p video stream, (1) TrueHD / DTS-MA HD / PCM audio stream and (1) PGS subtitle stream. There is no re-encoding involved so A/V bitrate is untouched, movie will be as pristine as original, just smaller. Of greater interest is no menus or forced trailers, as soon as disc is mounted movie will play. We will keep the original chapter breaks and have natively imbedded subs, something the old guide couldn’t do. On that note this update streamlines the entire process down from ~ 2 hrs to ~ 20 min, not counting step 0. No more OCRing subs or manually joining seamless branching titles, that’s so 2008ish. Also no more Nero Showtime, we’ll be using the clear next-gen winner, PDVD 8.

My goals:

1. subtitles (they are not hard-coding in, just embedded…still have the ability to turn on/off through PDVD 8 )
    2. no re-encoding
    3. simple (for me, that means no graphs), fast (relatively) and easily replicated title to title with consistent results

Programs I Used:

AnyDVDHD v6.5.1.1 (courtesy of Slysoft) - without this amazing program none of what follows is possible, current version or above required for BD++ titles

Eac3to v3.01 (courtesy of madshi @ doom9) - lists playlist order of mpls, enables preserving original chapter breaks

TSmuxer v1.8.4b (courtesy of roman76r @ doom9) - removes unwanted A/V/S streams, creates new BD file structure

IMGburn v2.4.2.0 - converts BD file structure to .iso

Virtual Clone Drive (courtesy of Slysoft) - mounts .iso as a virtual drive

PowerDVD 8 - player

Step 0

Backup our BD to hard drive with AnyDVDHD

For example we’ll be doing King King ripped to D:\

Step 1

- Our goal is to use eac3to and find the appropriate m2ts order, seamless branching or otherwise -

Start eac3to by opening a DOS prompt, start/run/cmd.

We need to find where eac3to.exe is, mine’s in <c:\program files\eac3to\eac3to.exe>

I kept DOS commands simple, after all this is a layman’s guide.

<dir> = list contents of current directory
    <cd> = change directory to specified
    <cd..> = change directory, up one folder

Eac3to command is <eac3to <drive letter>:\targetmovie>
    My example is <eac3to “d:\king kong”>

The quotation around king kong is required because of the space.

This is the meat & potatoes, telling us that when selected 00000.mpls playlist will play 00001.m2ts file @ 3hr 20min which in turn contains (1) 1080p + (1) DTS-MA. Astute readers will realize that King Kong is in fact a seamless branching disc, I used an already “shrunk” version for this guide…the concept works exactly the same. Under normal circumstances eac3to will list a LOT more, in seamless branching titles it’ll list the .m2ts file sequence for each .mpls. Generally the first .mpls listed is the one we want, check run times for unrated / director / theatrical variations. We want to isolate & identify which mpls we want to feed TSmuxer in the next step. Also keep in mind the extraneous steams that we’ll be stripping in the next step.

(continued)
    Last edited by rlung; 13th January 2009 at 19:29. Reason: major update

Default A Layman's Guide to Shrinking Bluray Size on Hard Drive

(continued)

Step 2

- Our goal is to use TSmuxer to strip unwanted streams -

Start Tsmuxer, add the xxx.mpls we found in step 1, it’s located in D:\king kong\bdmv\playlist

Again usually TSmuxer will list a whole lot more, here it’s listing what eac3to already told us existed with the addition of our PGS subtitle track. Either uncheck or remove the undesired stream(s). Newer titles tend to have more than 1 video track, usually another copy @ 480p. I take them all off, leaving just 1 vid, 1 audio, 1 subtitle. In fact because this is an already shrunk version of King Kong, it gives you an idea of what the end result will be. Under output select another folder, preferably on another drive, to write the shrunk version of movie.

Under Blu-ray tab check custom chapter list, this preserves original chapter breaks.

Start muxing.

Note: after muxing you can test the movie from HD using PDVD 7, not required but useful.
    Note: sometimes TSmuxer will spit out an error after muxing, can’t remember what it said, it’s that rare. Simple solution under Split & cut tab enable split by size every 2GB.

(continued)
    Last edited by rlung; 13th January 2009 at 00:39. Reason: part 2

Default A Layman's Guide to Shrinking Bluray Size on Hard Drive

(continued)

Step 3

- Our goal is turn newly created movie file structure in an .iso

Open IMGburn, select create image file form file/folders.

Select source folder N:\king kong final, destination as M:\king kong. Click OK through any prompts, it’ll auto detect as BD and change file structure to UDF 2.50.

Click build.

That’s it, we’re done!

Mount .iso with VCD, playback with PDVD 8.

Results:

<before / after> GB

A Few Good Men = 41.2 / 23.1
    Memento = 22.4 / 15.1
    The Patriot = 42.2 / 30.6
    The Replacement Killers = 30.3 / 18.7
    Ghost Rider = 46.4 / 28.3
    Underworld = 43.3 / 25.3
    Rocky Balboa = 43.1 / 22.0
    Spiderman 3 = 44.7 / 31.3

02/24/08 update:

Cars = 38.5 / 20.3
    Crash = 20.8 / 18.0
    Shoot Em up = 46.4 / 17.0
    War = 40.3 / 19.3

03/04/08 update:

The Rock = 36.4 / 24.1

01/13/09 update:

Babylon AD = 38.6 / 26.4
    Black Hawk Down = 46.4 / 32.2
    King Kong = 36.1 / 31.8
    The Chronicles of Riddick = 30.4 / 19.1
    The Kingdom = 38.5 / 24.5

02/03/09 update:

Any Given Sunday = 45.7 / 28.7
    Predator 2 = 38.0 / 32.0
    Sideways = 42.1 / 36.2
    Sin City = 45.2 / 31.5
    Superman Returns = 36.2 / 21.2

02/14/09 update:

A History of Violence = 21.5 / 18.5
    Taken = 31.1 / 26.1

Nothing written here is new info, I just humbly compiled a method that works for me and hopefully can help others.

Good Luck

Ryan
    Last edited by rlung; 12th February 2009 at 16:05. Reason: part 3

Default One step further...

Good summary...

Most of what you've summarized here I've pieced together myself but I'm going one step further in that I'm trying to create down-res'd versions of the BD rips for consumption by my kids (they just don't appreciate 1080p )

Used AnyDVD to rip to disk... Pieced the seamless branching M2TS files together with tssplitter and then remuxed using tsremux. This is where I'm getting an issue... I then open the remuxed M2TS file (again in tsremux) and demux the DD5.1 AC3 stream.

I've converted the AC3 to MP3 and then use meGUI to encode the video as an AVI (xvid) and then finally mux the MP3 and the AVI together.

The problem is that my result is very close but the audio is out of sync just a bit. Interestingly, my AC3 to MP3 conversion tool is showing a different total stream length (1:33:41) that what tsremux is reporting (1:33:39) before I demux the audio. I've tried trimming the AC3 but this didn't fix the issue.

Does anybody know why I might be seeing different stream lengths from the audio and video portions of the same M2TS. Obviously, the mismatch in lengths is getting my audio out of sync when the audio and video get muxed back together.

Ahhhh... So close...

Thank you

I've been experiencing very similar problems, took the fight out of me for doing any type of container change.

Could there be a ~2sec silence at beginning / end of movie?

Is eac3to the prog reporting the differating duration time?

Have we tried running tsremux twice before dumuxing the audio?

What if we keep the .ac3 native and temp mux to say .mkv?

Good Luck

Ryan
    Last edited by rlung; 6th January 2008 at 20:35. Reason: grammar

A very interesting guide. When I go neutral, I will definitely be referring back to this.

However, I was wondering what might happen if the studios author certain .m2ts segments with audio on different tracks. I'm not sure whether the BD format supports changing audio references on the fly, but I do recall some DVDs used to change the audio track layout from PGC to PGC and it was supported by the DVD spec. This approach was, I think, yet another method to frustrate rippers in the early days if one was not actively using the ifo files to determine on the fly structure.

Using only the .m2ts files seems like a vulnerability for this type of rip corruption, especially if a trial and error approach is necessary to determine which is the english language track in the first place. I guess one would have to extract a test section of audio from each .m2ts to confirm the language track arrangement: not difficult, but another potential slowdown.

Quote Originally Posted by rlung View Post
    Thank you

I've been experiencing very similar problems, took the fight out of me for doing any type of container change.

Could there be a ~2sec silence at beginning / end of movie?

Is eac3to the prog reporting the differating duration time?

Have we tried running tsremux twice before dumuxing the audio?

What if we keep the .ac3 native and temp mux to say .mkv?

Good Luck

Ryan
    I tried just trimming the audio at the end becuase it seemed the sync started out OK but was getting worse and worse as the movie played. Didn't really help.

What's the thinking behind the 2nd remux?

Quote Originally Posted by Kartman View Post
    I tried just trimming the audio at the end becuase it seemed the sync started out OK but was getting worse and worse as the movie played. Didn't really help.

What's the thinking behind the 2nd remux?
    To more "properly" align the headers on seamless branching discs, might be worth a shot.

Courtesy of dmz01 @ doom9, author of Tsremux:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...68#post1080968

post # 875

Good Luck

Ryan
    Last edited by rlung; 7th January 2008 at 17:35. Reason: grammar again

Thumbs up . . .

Very impressive. Definitely sticky worthy.

I've posted a similar question in the HD-DVD tutorial but since the two formats are different I thought I'd post it here since the process is different between the two. Assuming I don't have a seamless branching disc and it's not BD+ and I don't need subtitles, it appears that all I need to do is select the main .m2ts file for playback and then discard everything else, correct? I suppose if I wanted to discard extraneous soundtracks and subtitles I'd use TSremux to remux the m2ts file while trimming out all the fat. Are any other files required for playback in either Nero Showtime or PowerDVD?

Page 1 of 31 1234511 ... LastLast