Thread: Converting IDE to SATA

Default Converting IDE to SATA

I just built a new desktop which only has 1 IDE connection I am using for floppy/zip connection. I own 2 HP DVD burners (640 & 1040) that are IDE as well. I purchased 2 VANTEC converters to convert them to SATA but when I cranked up the computer only one is recognized in device manager. VANTEC's instructions said to set the DVD drive to "master" but I am curious if one should be set as master and that is my problem? Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
    I just built a new desktop which only has 1 IDE connection I am using for floppy/zip connection. I own 2 HP DVD burners (640 & 1040) that are IDE as well. I purchased 2 VANTEC converters to convert them to SATA but when I cranked up the computer only one is recognized in device manager. VANTEC's instructions said to set the DVD drive to "master" but I am curious if one should be set as master and that is my problem? Any ideas?
    What brand and model is the MOBO? What color are the SATA connectors?
    Floppy drives connect to the FDD header.....not IDE headers but I assume your Zip drive is using the one IDE connector?
    I would use the one IDE channel on the MOBO (Master-Slave or CS) for the optical drives and put the Zip drive onto the Vantec adapter.
    I would think that both drives would be set to Master as there is no Master Slave for SATA.
    I respond to PM and E-Mail requests
    Been to town.........seen the elephant

Quote Originally Posted by oldjoe View Post
    What brand and model is the MOBO? What color are the SATA connectors?
    Floppy drives connect to the FDD header.....not IDE headers but I assume your Zip drive is using the one IDE connector?
    I would use the one IDE channel on the MOBO (Master-Slave or CS) for the optical drives and put the Zip drive onto the Vantec adapter.
    I would think that both drives would be set to Master as there is no Master Slave for SATA.
    Mother board is ASUS P5N32-E SLI PLUS. I agree floppies are on the FDD & zip is on the IDE. Still puzzled why MOBO will only recognize one optical drive?????
    Last edited by jimbob; 2nd February 2008 at 21:20.

Still puzzled why MOBO will only recognize one optical drive?????
    Are you sure that both drives and both adapters are good? Is the second drive recognized in the BIOS?
    I would still suggest putting the two optical drives to the MOBO IDE connector and use one of the adapters for the ZIP.
    I respond to PM and E-Mail requests
    Been to town.........seen the elephant

Default Yes i agree

The burners would be best on the native IDE channels....the zip is fine on the new IDE to sata adapter

Default single driver

Mother board is ASUS P5N32-E SLI PLUS. I agree floppies are on the FDD & zip is on the IDE. Still puzzled why MOBO will only recognize one optical drive?????
    often these devices use a single driver that can support only one burner....if its loaded under startup programs uncheck the box ...reboot reinstall the device drivers again...then check if you have 2 in start up...if so reboot...check both boxes and then reboot again to see if you can load the driver twice