Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CloneDVD / AnyDVD for MAC

Default CloneDVD / AnyDVD for MAC

Hi all

I did a search but couldnt find the answer. I asked Slysoft if / when a MAC version of CloneDVD / AnyDVD would ever be released, and I remember a reply mentioning the file system / drivers for MAC are a real PIA (pain in the ass). Could someone from the team please reiterate the reason these applications cannot be released on MAC and the technical issues with MAC and these applications.

Whats an equivalent on the MAC system?

Rodney
    Toshiba Qosmio X500 X500/04N - Intel Core i7 Quad Core Processor 740QM (1.73GHz/2.93GHz, 1333MHz FSB, 6MB L2 Cache) / 18.4" 1920x1080 Display / 8GB DDR-3 RAM / 1TB HDD (1x 7200RPM 500GB + 1 x 5400RPM 500GB - Hitachi) / NVIDIA® GeForce® GTS 360M / BD-RW Burner (Matsushita BD-MLT UJ240 ES).

Quote Originally Posted by Rodster View Post
    Hi all

I did a search but couldnt find the answer. I asked Slysoft if / when a MAC version of CloneDVD / AnyDVD would ever be released, and I remember a reply mentioning the file system / drivers for MAC are a real PIA (pain in the ass). Could someone from the team please reiterate the reason these applications cannot be released on MAC and the technical issues with MAC and these applications.

Whats an equivalent on the MAC system?

Rodney
    No read more here.

Discussions about AnyDVD being released for Mac or Linux are not new:

http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=2349
    http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=12442
    http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=5205
    http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=4447
    http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=674
    http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=788
    http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=164
    My Server System : ASUS P7P55D-E Motherboard, Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz, CORSAIR XMS3 8GB DDR3 DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800), XFX HD-Radeon HD 5770 XXX Edition 1GB 128-bit DDR5, Thermaltake Armor MX+, Windows Server 2011 64 Bit Edition
    HL-DT-ST BD-RE GGW-H20L

Hi Charlie

Thanks for the links - I was just trying to get the direct full answer in a succinct form regarding the open source / closed source issues and the Kernel. Is MAC open or closed source? Whats Windows ?

Rodney
    Toshiba Qosmio X500 X500/04N - Intel Core i7 Quad Core Processor 740QM (1.73GHz/2.93GHz, 1333MHz FSB, 6MB L2 Cache) / 18.4" 1920x1080 Display / 8GB DDR-3 RAM / 1TB HDD (1x 7200RPM 500GB + 1 x 5400RPM 500GB - Hitachi) / NVIDIA® GeForce® GTS 360M / BD-RW Burner (Matsushita BD-MLT UJ240 ES).

It would be best if a mod or slysoft state this as I have no idea to be honest.
    My Server System : ASUS P7P55D-E Motherboard, Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz, CORSAIR XMS3 8GB DDR3 DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800), XFX HD-Radeon HD 5770 XXX Edition 1GB 128-bit DDR5, Thermaltake Armor MX+, Windows Server 2011 64 Bit Edition
    HL-DT-ST BD-RE GGW-H20L

Hi

Ignore last post, found the info. One more question is there a MAC equivalent to these programmes for the MAC format?

Hi

Ignore last post, found the info. One more question is there a MAC equivalent to these programmes for the MAC format?
    Sorry to disappoint, but no. OTOH we're now seriously considering OS-X versions of our programs. At least CloneDVD for mac was done in the past for the Japanese market, but from what I recall, was a commercial failure.
    But don't hold your breath, it'll take quite some time until we get there.
    My responses tend to represent myself only and do not necessarily represent the views of SlySoft, Inc. PLEASE POST ALL TECHNICAL PROBLEMS ON THE FORUMS. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Sorry to disappoint, but no. OTOH we're now seriously considering OS-X versions of our programs. At least CloneDVD for mac was done in the past for the Japanese market, but from what I recall, was a commercial failure.
    But don't hold your breath, it'll take quite some time until we get there.
    Hi James

Thanks for the reply. All good things come to those who wait. From what I can gather this issue is that the AnyDVD / CloneDVD drivers cannot load into the Kernal on MAC, is this correct (unlike on Windows)? And this is whats causing the incompatibility issue (besides the linux based OS) with the MAC?

BTW - Congrats on cracking BD+. Makes you wonder why they even bother with copy protection - if its man made it can be made cracked.

Hi James

Thanks for the reply. All good things come to those who wait. From what I can gather this issue is that the AnyDVD / CloneDVD drivers cannot load into the Kernal on MAC, is this correct (unlike on Windows)? And this is whats causing the incompatibility issue (besides the linux based OS) with the MAC?
    The AnyDVD driver needs to be rewritten from scratch, but this is certainly possible for OS-X.
    Linux is a problem because of the GPL licensing of the Kernel, and the requirement, that *linking something against the kernel* requires it to be licensed under GPL, too.
    So AnyDVD for Linux is a no-go. FreeBSD / NetBSD wouldn't be a problem.
    My responses tend to represent myself only and do not necessarily represent the views of SlySoft, Inc. PLEASE POST ALL TECHNICAL PROBLEMS ON THE FORUMS. Thank you.

The AnyDVD driver needs to be rewritten from scratch, but this is certainly possible for OS-X.
    Linux is a problem because of the GPL licensing of the Kernel, and the requirement, that *linking something against the kernel* requires it to be licensed under GPL, too.
    So AnyDVD for Linux is a no-go. FreeBSD / NetBSD wouldn't be a problem.
    As people have a tendency to misunderstand what I say (this could well be my inability to express myself properly ) just some clarification:

A 1:1 portation of AnyDVD for Linux is not possible because of GPL requirements.
    Of course, sitting on Antigua I could simply show the finger and say "sue me!". But we are not like some other companies who use GPL code without licensing. I could tell names, but it's not my business. If the authors of the abused GPL code don't care, why should I.

A "ripping application" (similar to DVDDecrypter) which removes AACS and BD+ is no problem, as it doesn't require a kernel driver. We might consider doing such a program. But this is something completely different, and it won't be AnyDVD.

Thumbs up

As people have a tendency to misunderstand what I say (this could well be my inability to express myself properly ) just some clarification:

A 1:1 portation of AnyDVD for Linux is not possible because of GPL requirements.
    Of course, sitting on Antigua I could simply show the finger and say "sue me!". But we are not like some other companies who use GPL code without licensing. I could tell names, but it's not my business. If the authors of the abused GPL code don't care, why should I.
    i'm not so sure about that, the legalise for linking against the kernel is a bit complicated, but i think a binary-blob or kernel module would be ok, as long as you're not distributing part of the kernel too (like vmware, ati, nvidia, wifi manufacturers etc.)

A "ripping application" (similar to DVDDecrypter) which removes AACS and BD+ is no problem, as it doesn't require a kernel driver. We might consider doing such a program. But this is something completely different, and it won't be AnyDVD.
    yes a userland application might be the easiest route - of course that's fine for ripping, but not realtime playback, although playing back hddvd/bluray on linux is not easy - better to rip and recode to h264 using mencoder anyway.

support can also be an issue, but most commercial vendors support apt-based (debian, ubuntu) and rpm-based (redhat, fedora, suse, mandriva etc.) without too much hassle, really its just two distribution types.

i really wish you would do it. you've got one guaranteed customer at least