Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How to install and uninstall Toshiba UDF 2.5 drivers in XP

Question How to install and uninstall Toshiba UDF 2.5 drivers in XP

There is an easy way to "trick" installation of the Toshiba UDF2.5 driver on non Toshiba PCs, so it may be "safer" to download it from Toshiba support website:

1.) Unpack it.
    2.) Start setup.

It will tell you, that you cannot install it on your non-Toshiba PC.
    DO NOT CLOSE THIS MESSAGE BOX.

Navigate to your temp directory with explorer. You'll find a directory named like this: {1347D5A6-4FE0-476A-B85F-D0FC91F55EB0}

Enter it. You'll find two files:
    thdudf.inf and thdudf.sys

Right click thdudf.inf, select "Install".

Wait a while. Close the Message Box. Reboot.
    Last edited by James; 8th April 2008 at 16:44.
    My responses tend to represent myself only and do not necessarily represent the views of SlySoft, Inc. PLEASE POST ALL TECHNICAL PROBLEMS ON THE FORUMS. Thank you.

First, install Toshiba UDF2.5 (see above).
    If you add the attached registry entry, and you can uninstall it from Add/Remove Programs.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by James; 8th April 2008 at 16:47.
    My responses tend to represent myself only and do not necessarily represent the views of SlySoft, Inc. PLEASE POST ALL TECHNICAL PROBLEMS ON THE FORUMS. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    First, install Toshiba UDF2.5 (see above).
    If you add the attached registry entry, and you can uninstall it from Add/Remove Programs.
    Just asking - why would you want to uninstall it? Is there a known problem where this might be necessary? (This doesn't seem to be addressed in the other thread that you posted this info in originally.)
    Last edited by profcolli; 9th April 2008 at 00:37.

Most people wouldn't. The person asking about an uninstall was simply curious if it COULD be uninstalled in case there was a problem. However, I've never heard of anyone having issues with it.
    Perhaps you should read The Rules?

My replies represent ONLY myself and do NOT represent SlySoft. I do not work for SlySoft.

Quote Originally Posted by profcolli View Post
    Just asking - why would you want to uninstall it?
    No idea. I wouldn't want to live without it.
    But it is at least comforting that you *can* do it, for whatever reasons you want to. That's what this little registry patch provides.

Should be able to copy thdudf.inf and thdudf.sys to another directory and then close the installer. Then you can do the right click install anytime you want and not mess with the toshiba installer.

I don't have an XP machine to test this on but I doubt it relies on the toshiba process to do anything other than start the install from the INF. I could be wrong though

Yes, that works just fine. I just did it on my work machine. (I have 0 need for UDF 2.5 on this machine, but, whatever. )

Also, for those having trouble finding it on Toshiba's website:

Toshiba UDF Driver
    Perhaps you should read The Rules?

My replies represent ONLY myself and do NOT represent SlySoft. I do not work for SlySoft.

Default thdudf.inf not found (what the!?)

UPDATE2: Issue described below now resolved. Error found between chair and keyboard. See last sentence below for issue resolution.

Hi guys,
    I did just as you instructed, launched the install program, I got the error window that says "can not install on your PC", I left the window open, went to find the thdudf.inf in the WINDOWS\TEMP dir. Could not find it. Did a search on entire C drive, for anything "thdudf", including hidden files/folders... Still no thdudf.*** file to be found. Bummer. Obviously something wrong with me, and/or my XP PC,... any of you guys got any ideas about this hickup I'm having?

I tried the install twice with same results. I have not done a sys reboot yet, but I will reboot later and try this all over again...
    Cheers!

UPDATE: Same problem after reboot. I will update this post again after attempting this s/w install on my other XP box.

UPDATE2+: I missed finding the thdudf.inf during my automated search of C drive... somehow <blush>. My error was somewhat due to assuming <grin> that the file would be at the WINDOWS\TEMP dir, but I now see that the TEMP dir is located at C:\Documents and Settings\XXUserNameXX\Local Settings\Temp\{1347D5A6-4FE0-476A-B85F-D0FC91F55EB0}

My apologies for the goof-up... and many thanks to everyone for your forum contributions... that get many of us off the ground.
    Last edited by Marde; 11th April 2008 at 17:45. Reason: added UPDATE2 at top and UPDATE2+ at bottom of post

UPDATE2+: I missed finding the thdudf.inf during my automated search of C drive... somehow <blush>. My error was somewhat due to assuming <grin> that the file would be at the WINDOWS\TEMP dir, but I now see that the TEMP dir is located at C:\Documents and Settings\XXUserNameXX\Local Settings\Temp\{1347D5A6-4FE0-476A-B85F-D0FC91F55EB0}
    Thanks for this info, but I'd like to also point out that if your system is set to hide system folders and files (the default with XP I think?), you still won't find even the Local Settings folder, much less the necessary temp folder.

Default Toshiba UDF 2.50 Driver for Windows XP

Here is the actual driver files. I run WinXpPro 32bit, so this will be a 32bit driver. If you have WindowsXp 32bit, just unzip and right click on the INI file to INSTALL. No more chasing the ghost in the TEMP folder.

Thanks to OP and other pioneers.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast