Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: LG GGC-H20L firmware discussion

Default LG GGC-H20L firmware discussion

Quote Originally Posted by DrinkLyeAndDie View Post
    I have used MCSE in the past and had previously checked to see if any patches existed for the LG GGC-H20L firmware and wasn't aware any had been added. I happened to download the latest version yesterday and patched the latest 1.03 firmware with a read speed increase that was added at some point. Normally I can rip a BD at 6-7 MB/s with my system. I reached speeds of 20 MB/s after flashing the drive with the patched firmware.

With this knowledge I think it's useful for people discussing ripping speed to also report if they are using patched firmware or not because that patch increased my ripping speed enormously.
    Sounds good, but is there any down side to installing the new 1.03 firmware?

I freely admit that I'm more than a bit paranoid about installing any new software on our machine that already does what I want it to do. I would not put it past LG to cave in to whatever functionality "requests" are made of it by Sony, AACS, MPAA, or whoever.

In short, I want the reader to continue to read both HD-DVDs and BDs at least as well as it did before any firmware update. But maybe I'm being overly cautious on a simple firmware update.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony1M View Post
    Sounds good, but is there any down side to installing the new 1.03 firmware?

I freely admit that I'm more than a bit paranoid about installing any new software on our machine that already does what I want it to do. I would not put it past LG to cave in to whatever functionality "requests" are made of it by Sony, AACS, MPAA, or whoever.

In short, I want the reader to continue to read both HD-DVDs and BDs at least as well as it did before any firmware update. But maybe I'm being overly cautious on a simple firmware update.
    You could probably patch the 1.02 firmware, too. My drive came already flashed up to 1.02 and I never had any reason to patch it.

I know of no reason to not flash using the 1.03 firmware. It's been out for a month or so, I believe, and I've heard of no reported issues and I've experienced none, myself.
    DrinkLyeAndDie

• All users agreed to follow forum rules when they registered and are expected to abide by them. Ignorance is not an excuse.
    • I neither represent nor am I employed by SlySoft or its developers. My responses do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of SlySoft or its employees.

Great. I've downloaded the v 1.03 firmware zip file from the LG site.

I've looked in device manager, but when I look at the ROM, all I see are the MS drivers - not a firmware version, so exactly how do I determine the present firmware version on the ROM and, if necessary, update, or "flash", to the new version?

Does the unzipped firmware file (I haven't unzipped it yet) contain an exe file that, when executed, installs the firmware update?

Can the firmware update be reversed, if necessary? (I doubt it.)

Thanks for the help.

I used Nero to determine that the ROM's present firmware version is 1.05

I used Nero to determine that the ROM's present firmware version is 1.05
    If it's the LG GGC-H20L then I am confused. There is no firmware v1.05. Open your AnyDVD preferences and look at the status window. Click on the tab associated with your drive. Next to the drive model you'll see your firmware version. What does it say?
    DrinkLyeAndDie

• All users agreed to follow forum rules when they registered and are expected to abide by them. Ignorance is not an excuse.
    • I neither represent nor am I employed by SlySoft or its developers. My responses do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of SlySoft or its employees.

Here's the screen capture:

Presumably, the 1.05, to the left of the @ symbol that appears at the beginning of the long number, indicates a firmware version of 1.05 - the same number Nero reported.

I unzipped the zip file and, sure enough, there was a readme that contained instructions for updating the firmware.

GGC-H20L Version 1.03 Firmware Update

To update the firmware of the GGC-H20L please refer to the following instructions:

Note: Not following the subsequent update instructions explicitly will result in
    permanent damage to your drive, for which LG will not be responsible.

This firmware update is for drives with original firmware versions below 1.02.
    The drives must be original LG branded drives with the DVD Writer model number
    GGC-H20L(no OEM units).

If you have an OEM unit, branded with another manufacturers name,
    please contact that manufacturer for support and firmware updates.

This firmware update is for use only on PC¡¯s with Windows Vista, Windows XP.

¡Ø Critical Instructions: (to be followed carefully)

1. Connect the drive as¡°master¡±by it self, on the secondary IDE controller
    with no other device on the same IDE cable, making note to set the jumper
    on the back of the drive to the¡°master¡±position.

2. Download the file GGC-H20L_1.03(EW).ZIP to a folder of your choice.
    This download includes this¡°Read me(ew)¡±text file,
    as well as the GGC-H20L_1.03.EXE program, which will auto-update your drive's firmware.

3. Close all other programs including: screen saver, antivirus and/or power-down programs.
    (If these programs are not closed, they will try to engage the PC,
    during the update process, thus interrupting the update and damaging the drive).

4. Check the drive to ensure that there is no disk in the tray before you start
    the update procedure.

5. Go into the folder with the update file and double click the GGC-H20L_1.03.EXE program
    and click the ¡°update¡± button. Once the update is complete,
    you will see ¡°Firmware Update Complete¡± and then advise you to reboot the system.
    You will need to reboot your PC.

The update will be complete, after you reboot your system.

WARNING: Do not open any programs or start any system functions during the update,
    as they will interfere with data transfer and damage the drive.
    Do not cancel the operation once it has been started or the drive will
    become permanently damaged, as a result.

Fortunately or unfortunately, the ROM was an OEM part of an off-the-shelf HTPC. It is an HP model s3330f. I guess, as the instructions suggest, I should get a firmware update for the drive through HP.

Here's the screen capture:

Presumably, the 1.05, to the left of the @ symbol that appears at the beginning of the long number, indicates a firmware version of 1.05 - the same number Nero reported.

I unzipped the zip file and, sure enough, there was a readme that contained instructions for updating the firmware.

GGC-H20L Version 1.03 Firmware Update

Fortunately or unfortunately, the ROM was an OEM part of an off-the-shelf HTPC. It is an HP model s3330f. I guess, as the instructions suggest, I should get a firmware update for the drive through HP.
    Yeah, I'd get your firmware from HP. I'd be hesitant to screw around with the HP OEM firmware since I don't have enough information on it.
    Last edited by DrinkLyeAndDie; 5th August 2008 at 16:01.
    DrinkLyeAndDie

Thanks for the help, DLAD.

I just chatted with HP and downloaded a firmware update that is version 1.07.

The "person" I was chatting with told me that this firmware update was for the drive only, and nothing else. I asked if anyone had reported any problems with the update and I was assured that installation would go very smoothly. I was also told that the update is irreversible - not comforting.

I just chatted with HP and downloaded a firmware update that is version 1.07.

The "person" I was chatting with told me that this firmware update was for the drive only, and nothing else. I asked if anyone had reported any problems with the update and I was assured that installation would go very smoothly. I was also told that the update is irreversible - not comforting.
    Well, irreversible firmware upgrades aren't a new thing so while I can see it being less than comforting it isn't necessarily something to be scared of, either. You could do an online search for discussion on the HP 1.07 firmware and see if anyone is reporting issues. If you find issues reported then hold off on the flashing. If you aren't having any issues with your drive and the current firmware then you may not even want to update it.
    Last edited by DrinkLyeAndDie; 5th August 2008 at 18:11.
    DrinkLyeAndDie

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast