Thread: ImgBurn vs AnyDVD internal ripper

Default ImgBurn vs AnyDVD internal ripper

I've noticed some differences between the rips made by ImgBurn (with AnyDVD enabled) and the ones made by the AnyDVD internal ripper.
    With ImgBurn, the ripped files sizes are always the same as the original ones.
    With AnyDVD internal ripper, some file sizes are smaller then the original ones.

Here is an example:

Original: VTS_09_6.VOB - 338,249,728 bytes
    ImgBurn rip: VTS_09_6.VOB - 338,249,728 bytes
    AnyDVD rip: VTS_09_6.VOB - 314,910,720 bytes

Is this behaviour normal and why the files ripped by AnyDVD are, sometimes, smaller than the original ones?

My understanding is that when the AnyDVD ripper is used it does some remastering and when AnyDVD is used simply in the background and an image is created via ImgBurn or CloneDVD that remastering isn't done. The same is the case when you just copy-and-paste rather than using the AnyDVD ripper.

If I'm wrong I'm sure I'll be corrected. Am I wrong, James?
    DrinkLyeAndDie

• All users agreed to follow forum rules when they registered and are expected to abide by them. Ignorance is not an excuse.
    • I neither represent nor am I employed by SlySoft or its developers. My responses do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of SlySoft or its employees.

Quote Originally Posted by DrinkLyeAndDie View Post
    My understanding is that when the AnyDVD ripper is used it does some remastering and when AnyDVD is used simply in the background and an image is created via ImgBurn or CloneDVD that remastering isn't done.
    No. Clonedvd, in the strictest sense, always remasters (the original layer break position cannot be retained when using Clonedvd: http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.ph...68&postcount=1).

In cases where structural protection exists, ripping with Imgburn is not recommended because not all the structural protection will be removed when Anydvd is running in the background.

Ripping with Clonedvd or Anydvd ripper are better options when dealing with discs containing structural protection.

If one wishes to use Imgburn, it should be used after ripping first with either Clonedvd or Anydvd ripper.
    Last edited by Webslinger; 10th August 2008 at 21:05.
    My responses 1) presume you own the original retail disc you are attempting to backup, 2) tend to represent myself only, and 3) do not necessarily represent the views of SlySoft nor its developers. I do not work for SlySoft.

Please post all technical support questions on the forums instead of private messaging me. Technical support requests sent to me will be ignored. Private message me only for moderation issues, please. Thank you.

Please read the SlySoft Forum Etiquette before posting.

Quote Originally Posted by girotour View Post
    Is this behaviour normal and why the files ripped by AnyDVD are, sometimes, smaller than the original ones?
    If the original disc contains structural protection, Anydvd ripper produces a rip that is devoid of structural protection. The same can't be said for rips produced by imgburn with Anydvd running in the background.
    My responses 1) presume you own the original retail disc you are attempting to backup, 2) tend to represent myself only, and 3) do not necessarily represent the views of SlySoft nor its developers. I do not work for SlySoft.

Please post all technical support questions on the forums instead of private messaging me. Technical support requests sent to me will be ignored. Private message me only for moderation issues, please. Thank you.

Please read the SlySoft Forum Etiquette before posting.

Actually, I meant CloneCD when I wrote CloneDVD. My mistake. Yeah, CloneDVD remasters.
    DrinkLyeAndDie

• All users agreed to follow forum rules when they registered and are expected to abide by them. Ignorance is not an excuse.
    • I neither represent nor am I employed by SlySoft or its developers. My responses do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of SlySoft or its employees.