Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Playing VOB file on PS3, no subs?

Default Playing VOB file on PS3, no subs?

Hi,

I get no subtitles when ripping to VOB File (Passthrough) and then play the file och PS3. This is a great option for the PS3 since it is very quick and keeps the DB, DTS sound. In most cases the VOB file is small enough for the FAT32 file system.

When copying the VOB files directly from the mounted DVD image, the subtitles are shown so this must be a very simple problem to fix?

Regards
    /Sidan77

Have you tried to turn them on with the PS3? If so what happens when you do?

Yes I have tried to turn them on. I get a "no subs available" message.

Yeah I see what you mean. I made a VOB and get the same result and I checked to be sure the subtitles were included. I checked the back up disk of the movie and the subtitles worked on the PS3 but will not on the VOB passthrough of the same movie. I have the VOB on a thumb drive and tried it with VLC player on the PC and the subtitles work?

You will find that PS3 firmware does not have subtitle functionailty on vob / mpg files etc - presume it only works on ISO structures etc. You have to "burn" the subtitles into the image to see them so pass-through will not work - have to re-encode - and / or convert to h264 at the same time

my great wish for the clonedvdmobile is I can get high quality h264 images with 5.1 sound and the choice to burn a selected subtitle in as few clicks as possible - ie idiot proof for me. To date I use cdvdmobile when there are no subtitles and a combination of vsrip, ripbot264 and tsmuxer when there are subtitles that are not burned in (which can get somehwat tedious)

I tried the first beta but did not do 5.1 sound (I understand this is now fixed) and the picture quality was (as was stated in the release notes) not great.

Have not tried the new beta although did get an error message yesterday when trying to do a generic mpeg2 passthrough

I'm using the new beta and trying various things but I believe you are correct. DivX on this version works very well but again the subtitles are hard coded and can't be turned off. I don't think they will work ( can be switched on and off ) on anything except DVD disks.

I have tried re-encoding to DivX and mpeg4 with the latest beta relase of CDM but:

1. It takes 1,5 hours to convert a DVD to mpeg4. A bit shorter for DivX but still a long time.
    2. I only get 2.0 sound for both formats, even with the latest beta.
    3. VOB file (passthrough) takes only 7 minutes when copying from mounted DVD to USB disk! Untouched audio and video

Is there any possible way that CDM will look into this? Maybe add an option like VOB file (passtrhough with hardcoded subs)? I like this program alot for the simplicity which is not found elsewhere, but there is currently a no buy for me until this is solved.

You cannot hardcode (burn-in) subtitles into video without decoding and reencoding video for obvious reasons.

Passthrough is direct stream copying without touching audio or video. If you need hardcoded subtitles you have to reencode and that takes time.
    Fernando

Ah yes, of course.

What about adding an option to re-encode to a VOB file with hardcoded subs? I don't really know so much about this stuff so foregive me if my suggestions are a bit strange.

I just wan't a simple way to convert a DVD image to a playable format on my P3 without loosing subs or 5.1, DTS audio. It would be excellent if it was fast too.

So, enlighten me, is there any plans or work going on to add this functionality to CDM? Or is there any other software available that can do it?

Honestly, why is this so hard?

It seems like the VOB format is the only one supporting 5.1 sound and DTS sound that is playable on the PS3 as far as I can tell, correct me if I'm wrong. Why is there no option of ripping the selected content of a dvd to a VOB file with hardcoded sub and audio track? Possibly also allowing filesplitting so the VOB file is not to large.

This should be a breeze for anyone familiar with muxing, de-muxing, re-encoding or what ever you call these things.