Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Virtual CloneDrive and NRG files - question

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    9

    Thumbs up Virtual CloneDrive and NRG files - question

    I hope someone can answer a question for me.
    First thing is that I am Slyfox 6.4.8.5b in the background.
    I am running Windows Vista Ultimate 64.

    I used Nero to make a total copy, therefore creating a image file of a CD. As Nero version 8 does, is to create a .nrg file.

    Then I told the Virtual CloneDrive, version 5.4.0.6, to allow for 1 drive.

    I went to the .nrg file, right clicked and clicked on the option to mount files with Virtual CloneDrive.

    It seemed to have worked, the .nrg file has an Icon of the Elby sheep and Slyfox recognizes it as Drive I: Elby CloneDrive 1.4.

    Then I went to "Computer", and Windows showed that I had a drive I. When I went to open it, I received a Windows error windows telling me basically, that it cannot read the contents of the drive and that I might consider re-formatting it.
    What was interesting, is that, when I right clicked on "I" drive, and clicked on properties, Hardware, I see ELBY CLONEDRIVE SCSI cdRom Device. From their, if I click on the details tab, It under Description CD Rom Drive.

    I went to another product that would normally allow me to play the virtual CD and while it sees the virtual Drive I, I get an error message that it cannot open it up.

    Bottom line is ------Does Virtual CloneDrive not handle .nrg files ?
    Can this be a Vista 64 issue ??
    Can it be user stupidity (me).
    All of the above !!


    I would appreciate your help.

    Jon

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    12,444

    Default

    If you associate a file extension with a program then it will get the icon of the associated program. That said, .NRG files are not supported by Virtual CloneDrive.

    You problem isn't a Vista x64 issue or you not doing something correctly. It simply isn't possible to deal with .NRG files with VCD.
    DrinkLyeAndDie

    • All users agreed to follow forum rules when they registered and are expected to abide by them. Ignorance is not an excuse.
    • I neither represent nor am I employed by SlySoft or its developers. My responses do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of SlySoft or its employees.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    9

    Arrow No NRG for Virtual CloneDrive

    Quote Originally Posted by DrinkLyeAndDie View Post
    If you associate a file extension with a program then it will get the icon of the associated program. That said, .NRG files are not supported by Virtual CloneDrive.

    You problem isn't a Vista x64 issue or you not doing something correctly. It simply isn't possible to deal with .NRG files with VCD.
    Thank you for your fast and precise answer.
    Is this a situation where a feature could be possibly added to Virtual CloneDrive in the future, or is it possible that Nero won't allow Virtual CloneDrive to touch it, because of some copyright violations ?

    Thanks,

    Jon

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    12,444

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jolo10 View Post
    Thank you for your fast and precise answer.
    Is this a situation where a feature could be possibly added to Virtual CloneDrive in the future, or is it possible that Nero won't allow Virtual CloneDrive to touch it, because of some copyright violations ?

    Thanks,

    Jon
    As far as I understand there isn't much difference between .ISO files and .NRG files but it's possible that a licensing may be required for software to support .NRG files. I honestly don't know.

    In general, it appears that Elaborate Bytes isn't interested in supporting proprietary image formats. I am in no way speaking for Elaborate Bytes when I say this. I'm just saying what appears to be the case.
    Last edited by DrinkLyeAndDie; 28th November 2008 at 05:07.
    DrinkLyeAndDie

    • All users agreed to follow forum rules when they registered and are expected to abide by them. Ignorance is not an excuse.
    • I neither represent nor am I employed by SlySoft or its developers. My responses do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of SlySoft or its employees.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    16,957

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jolo10 View Post
    Bottom line is ------Does Virtual CloneDrive not handle .nrg files ?
    No it doesn't for audio CDs. Only simple data discs.
    My responses tend to represent myself only and do not necessarily represent the views of SlySoft, Inc. PLEASE POST ALL TECHNICAL PROBLEMS ON THE FORUMS. Thank you.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Hmm, that's a pitty. Are there any plans to support .nrg images in future?

    Since Nero is quite common, I assume that also .nrg images are quite abundant. Now, that Nero has dropped it's own ImageDrive, it would be really nice to have another tool that could take care of .nrg images!

    Or is there any specific reason why it's not supported?

    Best regards
    - spitfire

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    12,444

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spitfire_ch View Post
    Hmm, that's a pitty. Are there any plans to support .nrg images in future?

    Since Nero is quite common, I assume that also .nrg images are quite abundant. Now, that Nero has dropped it's own ImageDrive, it would be really nice to have another tool that could take care of .nrg images!

    Or is there any specific reason why it's not supported?

    Best regards
    - spitfire
    I used to use Nero and I found great annoyance in the fact that they essentially tried to force me to create NRG images and thereby be stuck using their software. Create a proprietary format and then make your customers have to use your own software.

    People who have NRG files and want to use them with VCD can do one of two things: create a new image in a compatible format or convert their existing NRG file to an ISO image.

    Two possible solutions for converting are UltraISO (shareware) and a product called AnyToISO (freeware). I've never actually used AnyToISO but it is a very small freeware application by CrystalIdea Software Company. They also make a application I love called Uninstall Tool that can be used as a replacement for Windows' Add/Remove/Programs and Features.

    AnyToISO can be found here: http://www.crystalidea.com/anytoiso. AnyToISO can convert BIN, MDF, PDI, CDI, NRG, B5I, and IMG imgaes to ISO and is compatible with Vista x64.

    I take zero responsibility for any problems that result from using these other programs and they are merely suggestions.
    DrinkLyeAndDie

    • All users agreed to follow forum rules when they registered and are expected to abide by them. Ignorance is not an excuse.
    • I neither represent nor am I employed by SlySoft or its developers. My responses do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of SlySoft or its employees.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    16,957

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrinkLyeAndDie View Post
    I used to use Nero and I found great annoyance in the fact that they essentially tried to force me to create NRG images and thereby be stuck using their software. Create a proprietary format and then make your customers have to use your own software.

    People who have NRG files and want to use them with VCD can do one of two things: create a new image in a compatible format or convert their existing NRG file to an ISO image.

    Two possible solutions for converting are UltraISO (shareware) and a product called AnyToISO (freeware). I've never actually used AnyToISO but it is a very small freeware application by CrystalIdea Software Company. They also make a application I love called Uninstall Tool that can be used as a replacement for Windows' Add/Remove/Programs and Features.

    AnyToISO can be found here: http://www.crystalidea.com/anytoiso. AnyToISO can convert BIN, MDF, PDI, CDI, NRG, B5I, and IMG imgaes to ISO and is compatible with Vista x64.

    I take zero responsibility for any problems that result from using these other programs and they are merely suggestions.
    You cannot convert audio images to .iso.
    My responses tend to represent myself only and do not necessarily represent the views of SlySoft, Inc. PLEASE POST ALL TECHNICAL PROBLEMS ON THE FORUMS. Thank you.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    12,444

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    You cannot convert audio images to .iso.
    Valid point.
    DrinkLyeAndDie

    • All users agreed to follow forum rules when they registered and are expected to abide by them. Ignorance is not an excuse.
    • I neither represent nor am I employed by SlySoft or its developers. My responses do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of SlySoft or its employees.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Thank you very much for the information and suggestions. I take it, it's not possible to directly support nrg images, because it would either be not legal or technically not possible, since it is a proprietary format?

    Best regards and Merry X-Mas

    - spitfire

    P.S. The fact, that you have to create nrg images when using Nero also annoyed me greatly; I know what you mean Maybe they changed that with their new versions, because the new versions no longer contain Nero ImageDrive?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •