Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Virtual CloneDrive and NRG files - question

*bump*

Quote Originally Posted by spitfire_ch View Post
    I take it, it's not possible to directly support nrg images, because it would either be not legal or technically not possible, since it is a proprietary format?
    I'd really love to know

My understanding (an admittedly pretty sketchy understanding) of .nrg files is that if they're simply data images with a single session, they are basically .iso files (and most things will work with them if you simply rename them with an .iso extension).

However, if they are audio disc images or data images with multiple sessions, then they are not .iso compatible.

In the Nero control applet select to "make all types and formats avalible in image writer" and then chose to save images as "ISO" rather than NRG.
    As for the constant calls to switch (on many boards) from Nero, people just can't understand that Nero does alot that the others (IMGBurn et al) can't.
    It would be nice to see nero files supported since I use the software for more "exotic" formats that can't be saved as ISO images.

What things can Nero burning Rom's do that Imgburn can't? and as an ISO is the full image of a disc what else could there be in these 'exotic' formats?

Quote Originally Posted by Adbear View Post
    as an ISO is the full image of a disc what else could there be in these 'exotic' formats?
    Support for track information, CD Audio and multiple sessions.

For some image formats (not .nrg) the image can contain sub-channel or other info (some of which might be used in copy protection schemes).

Quote Originally Posted by lostinlodos View Post
    In the Nero control applet select to "make all types and formats avalible in image writer" and then chose to save images as "ISO" rather than NRG.
    Great hint, I didn't know that, thanks! But still, I agree with you, nrg support would be real nice. If I got it right, daemon tools does support nrg images, so it should technically be possible. Further on, already my first try to mount an nrg using virtual cloneDrive by first converting the nrg file to an iso file failed. (nrg backup image of Powerquest Driveimage 2002, converted via nrg2iso, tried to mount the resulting iso-image, gave me a corrupt data error). So the current situation is not really pleasing and, for me, Virtual CloneDrive is no alternative to Nero ImageDrive, as much as I like slysoft's other products.

So please, add nrg-support, that'd be awesome!

Multitracking, and ordering, RAM-position cloning....
    Lets see, HVD, CHDVD, CVD, EVD, Karaoke (KCD and KDD images), S2D (subtitle on second disc)....

Nero, and ISOBuster, can use NRG images for reverse track recording on EITHER layer (ImgBurn can only reverse the second layer, and NOT from a prebuilt image).

DVD-RAM clones with split-positioning and duplicate positioning. Realising that none of this is "common", it still would be nice to add nrg support for those of us who DO use the more advanced and uncommon power features that can not be achieved in a standard ISO format.

Oh, and there's CDT/CDT+ (CDDA with Text), CDEG, multisession cloning, ...!
    Data position measurement clones, Ghosting bans and violations of user rights , (known as DRM),
    For those that "need" nrg images, the support would be great.
    >> How about a "Pro" version of VCD for a fee? I'd pay for it! kind of like DT and Alc have pro versions and free versions. You could make the pro version support other more advanced images like NRG and IGF files that are much harder to implement support for!? 29.99 lifetime sale?

Pro version is a good idea. I'd also be glad to pay if it supported more formats! Just a pity, lifetime licenses won't be available anymore next year ...

Cool daemon tools

you could try daemon tools....it can read .nrg from what i remember

nice necromancy for a newbie with his first post. Dig up a 2.5year old thread lol
    I do NOT work for Slysoft. Please do NOT pm me with problems you may have!

Desktop
    OS: Vista Ultimate X64 || MB: Asus P5Q-E || CPU: Intel Q9550 || CPU Cooler: Asus Triton 79 || RAM: 8GB Corsair XMS2
    GPU: Asus GTX 680 DirectCU II OC 2GB || Monitor: Asus VG278 || HDD: 2x Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB
    Op. Drive 1: LG BH16NS40 || Op. Drive 2: LG BH10LS30 || Op. Drive 3: LG GH20NS10

Home Theatre
    TV: Panasonic TX-P42S20 || Blu-ray Player: Panasonic DMP-BD85 || Sound: 5.1 Surround Logitech Z-5500