Thread: External HD and BD for PS3

Default External HD and BD for PS3

I was wondering if it is possible to rip a Blu-ray movie to an external hd with anydvd hd than plug the hd into my ps3 via usb cable and watch the blu ray movie?
    Last edited by red71082; 23rd March 2009 at 15:09.

Yes it is possible to do, BUT first the external must be in FAT32 format for the PS3 to be able to read it. Second, the FAT32 file format has a size limit of 4GBs per file...so you would need to either compress the blu rip down below 4gb in size or split the rip into seperate pieces (ex. if the file is 20GBs split it into 5 4GB files). I suggest just streaming the file to your PS3 and/or getting a bigger hard drive in your PS3 in order to copy large blu rips directly to your PS3 from the stream.

The format HAS to be AVCHD. Use AVCHD manager to handle the renaming of multiple AVCHDs on one drive.
    Mike

Bei Probleme, Immer LOG Datei Von Original Disk Beifügen: Wie Erstellt Man Ein LOG Datei
    Blu-Ray Movie Only Copies: Clown_BD: eac3to, tsMuxer & ImgBurn Made Easy
    Blu-Ray Copies With Menu: Clown_BD BD Copier

I neither represent nor am I employed by SlySoft or its developers. My responses do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of SlySoft or its employees.

Will putting in AVCHD make it so I don't have to split the BD into smaller files. Also when burning BD do you have to put it in AVCHD for the disc to play in ps3, cause i have been have trouble with some movies saying that they are unsupport data. That is why I'm trying to find another way to watch them on my ps3. Thank you.

No it won't get round the 4gb file size limit as this is a limitation of the hard drive format. The PS3 supports FAT32 and not NTFS. FAT32 has a limitation of 4GB for maximum file size.
    If you're burning back to BD-r or BD-re then they shouldn't need to be in AVCHD format as long as you haven't tweaked it at all and only removed copy protections. If you've made them into 'movie only' discs then I believe there's a patch you can run on the folders before making the disc to make it more compliant (I only ever do full discs which always work on my PS3)
    Last edited by Adbear; 25th March 2009 at 03:05.