Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BD+ discussion on Norwegian version of The Day The Earth Stood Still

Default BD+ discussion on Norwegian version of The Day The Earth Stood Still

Quote Originally Posted by Peer View Post
    In other words: that disc is simply screwed up, sorry.
    This is funny indeed. Though I hardly believe that no Blu-ray device (such as PS3, standalone player, etc.) can play it at all. Or those devices (which can play it) use different set of keys /codes to decrypt the disc which you don't have access to?

Quote Originally Posted by SuperGoof View Post
    This is funny indeed. Though I hardly believe that no Blu-ray device (such as PS3, standalone player, etc.) can play it at all. Or those devices (which can play it) use different set of keys /codes to decrypt the disc which you don't have access to?
    Yes, that sort of is the thing.
    PS3 plays it.
    Peer
    SlySoft Inc.

Please post software-related questions in the forum. PMs will only be answered if really private. Thanks!

Yes, that sort of is the thing.
    PS3 plays it.
    I don't mean to pry, but the studios finally found a protection that works.

Are you sure it's a bug in the BD+ code?
    It might be a feature.
    OPTIARC BD ROM BC-5500S (Notebook); Pioneer BDR-206D and Pioneer DVR-S18L (PC); Panasonic Bluray Recorder DMR-BS785, WDTV Live Hub and MyBook Live 3TB (TV)
    German ClownBD Thread

But then at least it should play on software player such as TMT and powerdvd.

@ Peer, other than PS3 it doesn't play on other players. Is that correct. Kind of strange I guess we won't need bad sector based portection after all.
    Last edited by Hawk; 14th May 2009 at 14:56.
    If you fail to plan...you plan to fail would you not agree..Think about it

A reminder that the BD+ thread is not for discussion...unless you are Peer, James, or Fernando. They can do or say whatever they want. I've split this conversation out into its own thread.
    Perhaps you should read The Rules?

My replies represent ONLY myself and do NOT represent SlySoft. I do not work for SlySoft.

Default ...

Quote Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
    A reminder that the BD+ thread is not for discussion...unless you are Peer, James, or Fernando. They can do or say whatever they want. I've split this conversation out into its own thread.
    Yes, you're right, I should also route my own comments to the logs there out of the thread, unless they really apply to the logs.

Quote Originally Posted by BurnerHEAD View Post
    Are you sure it's a bug in the BD+ code?
    It might be a feature.
    Of course it's a bug - the same disc is available in every other area of the world with no problem at all, would be quite strange to deliberately mess up a disc for such a small region only and then in a way that makes the players look buggy instead of making them at least display a useful message.

Note that the manufacturers of the players are paying customers of Macrovision, too.
    Peer
    SlySoft Inc.

Please post software-related questions in the forum. PMs will only be answered if really private. Thanks!

Yes, you're right, I should also route my own comments to the logs there out of the thread, unless they really apply to the logs.
    It's not an issue if there's a legitimate reason for dialog in that thread. It's just that the more conversations we have in there, the harder it will be to find the relevant logs you guys are looking for.

Of course it's a bug - the same disc is available in every other area of the world with no problem at all, would be quite strange to deliberately mess up a disc for such a small region only and then in a way that makes the players look buggy instead of making them at least display a useful message.

Note that the manufacturers of the players are paying customers of Macrovision, too.
    Yea, it's a bug. The PS3 is probably THE test bed for every disc in the world, so, it's going to handle just about anything you throw at it. However, the software players are legit players, too, and if a disc doesn't work with them they either need to be updated or the MFG screwed the pooch. Like that's never happened before.
    Perhaps you should read The Rules?

My replies represent ONLY myself and do NOT represent SlySoft. I do not work for SlySoft.

Peer, if I remember correctly BD+ supports different sets of program logic per player. So they can implement a totally different bytecode (or even native code) for the PS3 which would explain why the PS3 doesn't run into the endless loop?
    Last edited by tteich; 14th May 2009 at 16:27.

No, it doesn't. They screwed up. Didn't test it.

And I personally think this will be the future of Blu-ray. Having discs that don't work, then work and others, older ones then won't work. But did work. And you will download and download and download new firmware patches until, finally, Macrovision/Fox realizes that they lost control. And then will blame the next scapegoat to find.

Actually, BD+ was a great idea. Promising. But Macrovision bought that idea and screwed up. That has nothing to do with SlySoft, nothing to do with any other attempt to break BD+.
    Fernando

Does this disc play properly in a standalone player? If it does, this is pretty scary, since the studios may have accidently stumbled upon a method of protection (buggy BD+ code) that can't be played back on a PC based player at all. I hope this isn't the case.

Ok, sorry, this took so long, but it turned out to be incredibly difficult to ship a Scandinavian disc to here.

I'm sorry to say, that there is very little chance that this disc will ever work.
    It's a bug in the BD+ code on the disc.

I tried to play it with several versions of PDVD and TMT - all had the same problem: as soon as you choose the main movie from the menu, all players go into an endless loop (within the BD+ code) for good.

That's pretty much the same thing that happens with AnyDVD, only that AnyDVD is smart enough to detect this hopeless situation and instead breaks out of the loop giving you an error message.

In other words: that disc is simply screwed up, sorry.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast