Thread: registry entry: Zepter

Default registry entry: Zepter

I notice an entry in my registry entitled Zepter. Checking, it seems as though it was placed there by Anydvd to help contol auto updates. This doesn't bother me much, I just want to verify so I know the reason for the entry.
    Last edited by steve1942; 31st March 2007 at 19:21. Reason: mistyped word

Quote Originally Posted by steve1942 View Post
    I notice an entry in my registry entitled Zepter. Checking, it seems as though it was placed there by Anydvd to help contol auto updates. This doesn't bother me much, I just want to verify so I know the reason for the entry.
    Anydvd has nothing to do with Zepeter. Maybe you have a virus.
    My responses 1) presume you own the original retail disc you are attempting to backup, 2) tend to represent myself only, and 3) do not necessarily represent the views of SlySoft nor its developers. I do not work for SlySoft.

Please post all technical support questions on the forums instead of private messaging me. Technical support requests sent to me will be ignored. Private message me only for moderation issues, please. Thank you.

Please read the SlySoft Forum Etiquette before posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    Anydvd has nothing to do with Zepeter.
    James, himself, confirmed AnyDVD did create the [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Zepter Software] key back in April of 2006. I deleted it awhile ago and it never returned [probably because my AnyDVD is registered].

Refer to James' reply at CD Freaks: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.ph...2&postcount=16

Quote Originally Posted by SlySoft
    This is the intentional, as it is used to keep track of the evaluation period of the unregistered version. Just ignore it.
    and/or the whole thread:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=109902

Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger
    Maybe you have a virus.
    Always better safe than sorry. A scan wouldn't be a bad idea but I think the above info most likely explains the key.
    Last edited by DrinkLyeAndDie; 31st March 2007 at 20:23.
    DrinkLyeAndDie

• All users agreed to follow forum rules when they registered and are expected to abide by them. Ignorance is not an excuse.
    • I neither represent nor am I employed by SlySoft or its developers. My responses do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of SlySoft or its employees.

Quote Originally Posted by DrinkLyeAndDie View Post
    James, himself, confirmed AnyDVD did create the [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Zepter Software] key back in April of 2006. .
    Ok fair enough, but that's almost a year ago.

I deleted it awhile ago and it never returned [probably because my AnyDVD is registered]
    It never returned because it's not being used anymore:

http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.ph...3&postcount=16

and

http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.ph...6&postcount=43

So let me rephrase: Anydvd no longer has anything to do with Zepter.
    Last edited by Webslinger; 31st March 2007 at 20:36.
    My responses 1) presume you own the original retail disc you are attempting to backup, 2) tend to represent myself only, and 3) do not necessarily represent the views of SlySoft nor its developers. I do not work for SlySoft.

Please post all technical support questions on the forums instead of private messaging me. Technical support requests sent to me will be ignored. Private message me only for moderation issues, please. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    Ok fair enough, but that's almost a year ago. It's not being used anymore:

http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.ph...3&postcount=16

and

http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.ph...6&postcount=43
    Thanks for the links. I'll admit they somewhat confuse me, though. The key appears to no longer be used which is good. I'm not sure what exactly James is saying in reply to DetroitBaseball. The wording of the original question somewhat confuses me.

I think, however, if you have AnyDVD installed from awhile ago and just install the updates as they've been released and never uninstalled the key should still be there, right? I manually deleted the key from my registry in probably late 2006 and I've never uninstalled AnyDVD.

Sorry, if I'm adding to any confusion here. A virus scan is always a wise idea.
    DrinkLyeAndDie

• All users agreed to follow forum rules when they registered and are expected to abide by them. Ignorance is not an excuse.
    • I neither represent nor am I employed by SlySoft or its developers. My responses do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of SlySoft or its employees.

I'm not sure what exactly James is saying in reply to DetroitBaseball.
    I'm pretty sure James is saying Zepter is no longer used. And I know it hasn't been for some time now.

if you have AnyDVD installed from awhile ago and just install the updates as they've been released and never uninstalled the key should still be there
    I don't have a definitive answer for you. I was under the impression that Zepter key should no longer be on people's systems, but perhaps I was mistaken. It isn't on my oldest system.

Ok, read the threads. Since I'm registered, it seems as though I can remove the entry. But, it also seems as though the entry is meaningless and not worth the trouble of screwing with the registry. Right?

Ok, read the threads. Since I'm registered, it seems as though I can remove the entry. But, it also seems as though the entry is meaningless and not worth the trouble of screwing with the registry. Right?
    If the entry was created because of an older related Slysoft product, the entry is meaningless and not harmful; in fact, it never was harmful in that instance. If something else unrelated to Slysoft installed that entry, then I have no idea.

Zepter was attacked for being a rootkit before, but whether it was actually a harmful rootkit, I have no idea (it certainly wasn't harmful when it was used a long time ago with Slysoft).

If it's in the location I pointed out in a previous post then I would say it's safe to leave.

It is removeable with Sysinternals RegDelNull as explained in CD Freaks thread I posted before in the event you wished to.
    Last edited by DrinkLyeAndDie; 2nd April 2007 at 13:57.
    DrinkLyeAndDie

If it's in the location I pointed out in a previous post then I would say it's safe to leave.

It is removeable with Sysinternals RegDelNull as explained in CD Freaks thread I posted before in the event you wished to.
    Yea, it's right where you posted. Thanks for the location that let's me remove it.
    Last edited by Webslinger; 4th April 2007 at 12:06.