Thread: Failed to read DVD!?

Default Failed to read DVD!?

What is happening is that I keep getting an error that AnyDVD HD has failed to read my DVD. It keeps saying it may be dirty, damaged, etc...but the DVD plays perfectly fine. I seem to have this issue only with notebook DVD drives. This issue is happening on my new MacBook Pro and it happened with previous notebook which was a Gateway. It even happened with the Blu-Ray drive I had in my gateway. If I pop it in my Media Center I AnyDVD will read it fine. If I use a USB external drive, it reads it fine. This pretty much happens with every DVD I put into it, and I have tried dozens. If I do it enough times it may read it but generally it won't.

I also do notice that the AnyDVD incon in the systray turns gray which never works again until I reinstall AnyDVD. This normally would happen from time to time but when it says it can't read a DVD it will turn gray.

Any ideas what could be going on?

I also never have set the DVD region on any of my drives before. Would this be causing a problem? I'm not at home so I can't see if they are set on my Media Center or my USB DVD drive.

Yup it was the region locked. Once set it started working properly. Should have read more.