Page 73 of 221 FirstFirst ... 236369707172737475767783123173 ... LastLast

Thread: Blocked BD copy playback (Cinavia)

Scaremongering would be if he'd said that all players could be updated to use Cinavia, as he hasn't said that then it's not scaremongering.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeOfUrl View Post
    Tell us again, cuz I'm stoopid, where EXACTLY it has been established that players exist "that can't ever support this protection"? It seems to me it is only speculation at this point that older BD players cannot be forced to adopt the Cinavia protection with a firmware update.

While I'm doubtful myself about this (that players CAN be "updated" with Cinavia, or even that studios would force manufacturers to do so with an Avatar-type update) until we know for sure, your statement is an assumption. And you do know what it means when you assume something, yes? It's really quite simply...scare-mongering.
    DukeOfUrl, you really need to go back and read the thread and the discussions that have occurred. Your perceptions of what have been stated are your perceptions. SamuriHL is not nor has he been scare-mongering. You, on the other hand, are acting like a troll.

I'll refer you back to my post earlier in this thread here:

Quote Originally Posted by DrinkLyeAndDie View Post
    It does need to be pointed out that discussing implications of a badly created system and the possibly damaging repercussions in a simple open discussion is not panicking, fear mongering, or FUD. This discussion is essentially theoretical in nature.

I'm not really concerned with this situation right now but myself and others see and recognize the possible shortcomings and pitfalls that may loom on the horizon due to limitations or simple unintended consequences. florinsasu has seemingly confirmed one of the pondered problems with the entire protection mechanism.
    SamuriHL responded with this:

Quote Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
    This is absolutely correct and my take on the situation, too. This discussion has been really good (and civil which is always appreciated) and educational. Discussing the potential future impact of this particular protection falls under the speculation category. Since only a few titles are soon to be out with it, widespread panic is unwarranted. But, if this becomes common, and some of the things we have discussed do come to pass (forced updates by AACS player key revocation), then it'll become a very annoying situation. The best solution for now is to make sure you have a player, either hardware or software, that isn't affected by this protection and hold on to it. If hardware, and if they do implement key revocation, you'll need to be very careful with what you do with that player. Unfortunately, like I said before, a majority of people won't even be aware of this situation until it's too late. I can easily see a bunch of "hey my backup won't stream/play" posts if this becomes widespread. Speculation isn't always useful, but, in this case we can draw some interesting ideas from what we're already seeing and what we know is possible. And of course, the history of the AACS LA and what they're willing to do. I would say the speculation that's been discussed isn't impossible unfortunately.
    Thus far this entire thread has been civil. So, why exactly do you have to cause a problem, DukeOfUrl? Stop with the garbage. Take this as a polite warning.
    Last edited by DrinkLyeAndDie; 28th July 2010 at 17:41.
    DrinkLyeAndDie

• All users agreed to follow forum rules when they registered and are expected to abide by them. Ignorance is not an excuse.
    • I neither represent nor am I employed by SlySoft or its developers. My responses do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of SlySoft or its employees.

Quote Originally Posted by DrinkLyeAndDie View Post
    Thus far this entire thread has been civil. So, why exactly do you have to cause a problem, DukeOfUrl? Stop with the garbage. Take this as a polite warning.
    And where have I not been civil? I was simply calling-out one of your Moderators on posts which suggest that people buy a player in reaction to the Cinavia situation. There are not yet enough facts in evidence to posit such a suggestion. People have better things to do with their money.

To moderate--"to lessen the intensity or extremeness of"

I don't see that in his posts. Sorry if you think my contributions are "trolling".

And where have I not been civil? I was simply calling-out one of your Moderators on posts which suggest that people buy a player in reaction to the Cinavia situation. There are not yet enough facts in evidence to posit such a suggestion. People have better things to do with their money.
    Where, exactly, did I tell people to go out and buy a player? I think you read a lot into what I've said, and misinterpreted it pretty badly. Yet, you're the ONLY ONE who's done so. I find that fascinating. I've simply said that if the hardware people want to play Cinavia protected backups, then they should have a player that doesn't have Cinavia detecting abilities. You made up all the rest of what I supposedly said. I've made it pretty clear what people's options are. It's up to any person reading this to do, or not do, whatever it is they'd like. The fact that you take such offense to the mere suggestion that people might want to have a player that doesn't detect Cinavia is just hilarious. Do you honestly think I care what people buy or don't buy? Is there some horrifying crime against discussing what people's options are? To you there seems to be. You're on some crusade to make it out like I'm forcing everyone to go out and buy a new player RIGHT NOW. As I said earlier, I have absolutely no wish to discuss pretty much anything further with you. So, good luck in all your future endeavors, but, I'm not going to play along with your distortion of my words any longer.
    Perhaps you should read The Rules?

My replies represent ONLY myself and do NOT represent SlySoft. I do not work for SlySoft.

@SamuriHL: I've found all of your posts to be informative and helpful, hardly reaching any point where I feel like you're telling any person what to do, but simply providing information based on sources that discuss Cinavia. If nothing else, you're allowing the hardware people (of which I am one) to make a decision based on the information you've provided, which is greatly appreciated, so thanks for that.

Quote Originally Posted by mlemaire View Post
    @SamuriHL: I've found all of your posts to be informative and helpful, hardly reaching any point where I feel like you're telling any person what to do, but simply providing information based on sources that discuss Cinavia. If nothing else, you're allowing the hardware people (of which I am one) to make a decision based on the information you've provided, which is greatly appreciated, so thanks for that.
    Thank you. I appreciate that. And I'm glad you took my posts as how they were intended....merely a discussion and nothing more.

My replies represent ONLY myself and do NOT represent SlySoft. I do not work for SlySoft.

Talking

To moderate--"to lessen the intensity or extremeness of"

I don't see that in his posts. Sorry if you think my contributions are "trolling".
    OK lets have a vote!!! Who's in favor of banning DUKEOFURL? I been reading this thread since day 1 and no where did anyone say " YOU NEED TO GO OUT AND BUY A NON CINAVIA Blu Ray player"...

Quote Originally Posted by fandr78 View Post
    OK lets have a vote!!! Who's in favor of banning DUKEOFURL? I been reading this thread since day 1 and no where did anyone say " YOU NEED TO GO OUT AND BUY A NON CINAVIA Blu Ray player"...
    I don't think that's necessary. I think what's been said is enough.

Yea, so, anyway, back to Cinavia. Has anyone found any evidence of new titles with it on them? Just curious if The Losers is the only confirmed disc out there so far.

SamuriHL: I see that Hajj_3 posted in the thread he started that "The Runaways" has it, but not sure if thats speculation or fact.
    SPECS
    DESKTOP: Asus M4A79XTD EVO/AMD Phenom II x4 945/4GB GSKILL DDR3-1600/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 SC/BFG Tech 600Watt/NZXT M59/LG BD-RE GGW-H20L/Lite-On iHAS124 Y/WD Velociraptor 150GB/Seagate 1.5TB/WD Caviar Green 2TB/Acer H213H 1080p
    SERVER: MSI K9ND Speedster WA-6/2x AMD Opteron 2218s/8GB Kingston DDR2-667/NVIDIA Quadro FX 1700/Zalman 600Watt/Alienware Workstation/Lite-On iHAS120/Seagate 500GB/WD Caviar Black 750GB/Swiftech H20-220 w/ 2x CPU blocks & VGA block

Page 73 of 221 FirstFirst ... 236369707172737475767783123173 ... LastLast