Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The ANY! folder

Question The ANY! folder

I have just started using AnyDVD HD and have noticed that a Folder with the name "ANY!" gets created automatically when I choose to Rip to image. I'm doing the following:
    1. Run AnyDVD HD
    2. Load the Blu Ray movie
    3. Select "Rip to image..." from the icon in the notification area
    4. Select a name and location for the ISO
    5. Burn the resulting ISO to a BD-R on another PC that does not have AnyDVD installed

The backup BD-R plays fine on my PC (using VLC), but not on my stanalone Sony BD player.

I manually copied the contents of the new BD-R excluding the ANY! folder onto another BD-R, and that works fine on the PC and the Sony standalone player.

Using the "Rip video DVD to harddisk..." option does not produce the ANY! folder.

Two questions:
    1. What is the purpose of the ANY! folder?
    2. How can I avoid creating it (when using the "Rip to image..." option)?

Thanks

The answer is simple.

1. None, there is no purpose. The !ANY folder is the renamed AACS or BD+ (BD Protection) folder (not sure wich one) and can safely be removed if wanted. Standalone players & software players just skip it
    2. U don't, any BD disc that is protected by AACS and u rip it will have the !ANY folder

thats all. Nothing to worry about. If the backups don't play on your standalone then you're probably using crappy blank media.

The easiest way to backup a disc is rip to iso with AnyDVD and burn the ISO with IMGBurn back to a blank.
    I do NOT work for Slysoft. Please DO NOT pm or email me with problems you may have!

Desktop
    OS: Win 7 Ultimate X64 || MB: Asus P5Q-E || CPU: Intel Q9550 || CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 412 Slim || RAM: 8GB Corsair XMS2
    GPU: Asus GTX 680 DirectCU II OC 2GB || Screen: Asus VG278 || HDD: 2x Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB
    Op. Drive 1: LG BH16NS40 || Op. Drive 2: LG BH10LS30 || Op. Drive 3: LG GH20NS10

Home Theatre
    TV: Panasonic TX-P42S20 || Blu-ray Player: Panasonic DMP-BD85 || Sound: Logitech Z-5500

Thanks for the reply.

My Sony standalone player does not simply ignore the !ANY folder, but rather refuses to play the disc. The media I'm using is Verbatim BD-RE. When the same disc is burned with the ANY! folder, Sony does not play it. Without it it plays the movie. I witnessed this behaviour on two different Sony models, I'm trying to locate someone with a different brand to test on it.

Now I know that I should remove the ANY! folder before burning the backup...

Thanks
    Last edited by Dannybridi; 28th July 2010 at 11:59.

Quote Originally Posted by Dannybridi View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

My Sony standalone player does not simply ignore the !ANY folder, but rather refuses to play the disc. The media I'm using is Verbatim BD-RE. When the same disc is burned with the ANY! folder, Sony does not play it. Without it it plays the movie. I witnessed this behaviour on two different Sony models, I'm trying to locate someone with a different brand to test on it.

Now I know that I should remove the ANY! folder before burning the backup...

Thanks
    Not impossible, but I doubt it.

Try ripping to folders and adding the ANY! folder, then burn a disc. I'm pretty sure, that will work. There must be something else wrong with the image.
    Peer
    SlySoft Inc.

Please post software-related questions in the forum. PMs will only be answered if really private. Thanks!

Lightbulb

Perhaps it's a sort of a "copy protection" on Sony player in question - the existence of ANY! folder is definitely a footprint of AnyDVD HD, i.e. quite certain clue that the disc was processed with AnyDVD and is most probably a copy of the commercial disc...

Or perhaps I'm becoming too paranoic...

Quote Originally Posted by Achernar View Post
    Perhaps it's a sort of a "copy protection" on Sony player in question - the existence of ANY! folder is definitely a footprint of AnyDVD HD, i.e. quite certain clue that the disc was processed with AnyDVD and is most probably a copy of the commercial disc...
    That's what I was thinking. In fact, when I first noticed the ANY! folder, my first thought was won't players update their firmware to not play discs that have an ANY! folder? I felt that folder name should be something like five random alpha numeric characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelvis Popcan View Post
    That's what I was thinking. In fact, when I first noticed the ANY! folder, my first thought was won't players update their firmware to not play discs that have an ANY! folder? I felt that folder name should be something like five random alpha numeric characters.
    That would be stupid of the players to do that. Slysoft could just rename the foler ANDALL!, then Sony would have to update their firmware just for that!?

Considering that a bunch of people here play backups on all kinds of hardware players, I would point to another cause.

Quote Originally Posted by PrincipalityFusion View Post
    That would be stupid of the players to do that. Slysoft could just rename the foler ANDALL!, then Sony would have to update their firmware just for that!?
    I wrote "copy protection" (in quotes). This may be a special case, the folder is on AnyDVD processed images for a long time.
    If I were at Sony in charge of discouraging people making successful backups, I might had such funny idea and check for ANY! folder - by introducing negligible change into the firmware.
    How many average users get into editing of an image, not to mention getting to the idea of removing particular folder from it? Although simple, such method could discourage many users of that player.

However, the player model is still unknown, so nobody can recheck for this peculiar behavior.

@Dannybridi:
    Could you please only rename ANY! folder to e.g. ALL! in your image, burn it and retest?
    Last edited by Achernar; 28th July 2010 at 14:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Achernar View Post
    @Dannybridi:
    Could you please only rename ANY! folder to e.g. ALL! in your image, burn it and retest?
    You can't do that without remastering.
    Better test: Remaster the disc, including the ANY! folder. If this plays, the folder isn't the problem. And I doubt, that it is.
    My responses tend to represent myself only and do not necessarily represent the views of SlySoft, Inc. PLEASE POST ALL TECHNICAL PROBLEMS ON THE FORUMS. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    You can't do that without remastering.
    Better test: Remaster the disc, including the ANY! folder. If this plays, the folder isn't the problem. And I doubt, that it is.
    Either way, it's worth a try. And I'll pay closer attention in expressing myself more precisely in the future...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast