Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 25 and 30 fps to 24 conversion

Default 25 and 30 fps to 24 conversion

Hi
    I am in Pal land and have used the invaluable Reclock since its beginning to give smooth playback
    I set my video card to 720px50Hz and Reclock to 25fps locked. All blurays and 30hz stuff looks great through mpc and TMT

I am upgrading to a 1080p24 display and want to set my video card to 1080px24hz so my question is will Reclock work in reverse. That is output 25 and 30 fps material to 24 correctly or should I leave things as they are?

Quote Originally Posted by pacemaker1000 View Post
    Hi
    I am in Pal land and have used the invaluable Reclock since its beginning to give smooth playback
    I set my video card to 720px50Hz and Reclock to 25fps locked. All blurays and 30hz stuff looks great through mpc and TMT

I am upgrading to a 1080p24 display and want to set my video card to 1080px24hz so my question is will Reclock work in reverse. That is output 25 and 30 fps material to 24 correctly or should I leave things as they are?
    You should playback PAL material at 24 fps anyway, so you can hear the sound the way it should be heard:

http://sandbox.slysoft.com/palspeedup/index.html

EDIT:
    30 fps stuff won't work at 24 Hz.
    Last edited by James; 8th January 2011 at 09:32.
    My responses tend to represent myself only and do not necessarily represent the views of SlySoft, Inc. PLEASE POST ALL TECHNICAL PROBLEMS ON THE FORUMS. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    You should playback PAL material at 24 fps anyway, so you can hear the sound the way it should be heard:

http://sandbox.slysoft.com/palspeedup/index.html

EDIT:
    30 fps stuff won't work at 24 Hz.

unless i lock the output to 25fps i get stutter as my display will not do 24/48hz only 50/60hz
    if it did then surely i would not need Reclock?
    i thought that in order to get smooth video i had to put up with the +4% speed up
    i just tried 'auto' with pal slow down and the clock stays amber plus i get micro stutter

cheers

unless i lock the output to 25fps i get stutter as my display will not do 24/48hz only 50/60hz
    if it did then surely i would not need Reclock?
    i thought that in order to get smooth video i had to put up with the +4% speed up
    i just tried 'auto' with pal slow down and the clock stays amber plus i get micro stutter

cheers
    Didn't you say "I am upgrading to a 1080p24 display" ?
    My responses tend to represent myself only and do not necessarily represent the views of SlySoft, Inc. PLEASE POST ALL TECHNICAL PROBLEMS ON THE FORUMS. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Didn't you say "I am upgrading to a 1080p24 display" ?
    yep, but still stuck with the old one for a while and thought i was missing out on something

I know you did not mean this James, but for the casual reader(!), real PAL material should not be played back @24fps. Only PAL versions of 24fps movies should be slowed down i.e PAL DVDs and PAL recordings of (most) movies and US drama.

If you have a 25p/24p display and are interested in real PAL material as well as movies/US shows there is really no completely automatic way of choosing the right speed. You either need to do it manually each time, or sort/name your videos in a way that allows you to automatically set refresh rate.

You should not need to "lock" Reclock, though, to get correct playback @25Hz. All you should need to do is set your refresh rate to 50Hz, set Reclock to "auto" (unlocked) and max speedup to 5% (max slowdown to 5% for PAL sped-up movies @24fps). This will make working at variable refresh rates much easier. Then all you need to do is:

- set refresh rate to 24Hz for Blu-ray, NTSC movies/Drama, PAL Sped-up movies

- Set refresh to 50hz for "real" PAL material

- Set refresh rate to 60Hz for NTSC video (30fps/interlaced) material.

Reclock will then do what is needed without any change to its config.
    Last edited by Jong; 11th January 2011 at 10:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Jong View Post
    I know you did not mean this James, but for the casual reader(!), real PAL material should not be played back @24fps. Only PAL versions of 24fps movies should be slowed down i.e PAL DVDs and PAL recordings of (most) movies and US drama.

If you have a 25p/24p display and are interested in real PAL material as well as movies/US shows there is really no completely automatic way of choosing the right speed. You either need to do it manually each time, or sort/name your videos in a way that allows you to automatically set refresh rate.

You should not need to "lock" Reclock, though, to get correct playback @25Hz. All you should need to do is set your refresh rate to 50Hz, set Reclock to "auto" (unlocked) and max speedup to 5% (max slowdown to 5% for PAL sped-up movies @24fps). This will make working at variable refresh rates much easier. Then all you need to do is:

- set refresh rate to 24Hz for Blu-ray, NTSC movies/Drama, PAL Sped-up movies

- Set refresh to 50hz for "real" PAL material

- Set refresh rate to 60Hz for NTSC video (30fps/interlaced) material.

Reclock will then do what is needed without any change to its config.
    many thanks
    when i get my 24 capable projector i will of course set it to 24hz
    at the moment though i am stuck with 50Hz. i tried 'auto' but then the clock does not go greeen?

Make sure your max speedup is set to 5% and "guess better speed when hardware refresh rate does not match" is ticked. Then auto should work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jong View Post
    Make sure your max speedup is set to 5% and "guess better speed when hardware refresh rate does not match" is ticked. Then auto should work fine.
    WOW!

i have no idea what changing the default 1% to 5% in the max speedup value does but in auto now everything goes green
    placing i tick in pal speed down does nothing anymore but everything now sounds right

this would seem a better option than setting by htpc output to 24hz even when i have the display to handle it as at least now my pal stuff/tv works ok

thanks
    Last edited by pacemaker1000; 13th January 2011 at 17:50.

WOW!

i have no idea what changing the default 1% to 5% in the max speedup value does but in auto now everything goes green
    What it says really. It allows Reclock to speed up the video up to 5% in order to get smooth playback. 24fps + 4.2% = 25fps, so you need slightly less than 5% speedup (but much more than 1%) to play 24p material smoothly @50hz.

Glad it worked!
    Last edited by Jong; 14th January 2011 at 08:42.