Thread: CloneCD or CloneDVD - best way to ISO image?

Default CloneCD or CloneDVD - best way to ISO image?

Hi all,

I am planning to convert my DVD video collection to ISO images, much more convenient to have the disks as files on the media server. I have licenses for CloneDVD2 and AnyDVDHD so I thought I was good to go. Then I made the mistake to start reading the stickies, FAQs and relevant posts...

Thanks to information provided by Webslinger, James and others I learned that CloneDVD2, being a transcoder, alters the source by moving the layer break. Since CloneCD apparently would not do this I almost pushed the button to acquire a license. Then I read that CloneCD might not fully remove structural protection. Directly creating an ISO image with AnyDVDHD seems to yield the same results and is said to be a no-no anyway.

Now I am stuck. The question is, do I misunderstand something or am I simply out of luck here? I would like to create a copy of the original video DVD that is as close to the source as possible. But please without any hidden mechanism that could give me headaches in the future. Any opinions?

Many thanks in advance!

If AnyDVD is running, copy protection will (should) be removed from the DVD.
    CloneCD will NOT copy the protection contained on the DVD.
    If AnyDVD is not running, CloneCD would not be able to copy a copy protected DVD.

What are you using to play your ISO's?
    If using Virtual CloneDrive, and you used CloneDVD2 to create the ISO then maybe you'd be OK...

The CloneDVD2 changelog:

Version 2.9.2.7 2009 12 22
    - New: Increased performance of the transcoder
    - New: Improved handling of layer break position
    - New: Creates .dvd files for correct layer break handling
    with Virtual CloneDrive
    and CloneCD
    Last edited by mike20021969; 10th May 2011 at 12:01.
    it's not copying...it's backing up

Thank you very much for your quick reply!

Quote Originally Posted by mike20021969 View Post
    If AnyDVD is running, copy protection will (should) be removed from the DVD.
    I was referring to this post http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.ph...49&postcount=6. Webslinger wrote that "Anydvd's rip to image feature is similar to using Clonecd. Structural protection from a dvd may not be completely removed." And "If you use Clonedvd to produce an .iso file, it will be void of structural protection."

My understanding of this is that I can not be sure that the ISO images produced by CloneCD (and AnyDVDHD) are without any protection. To be sure I would have to use CloneDVD, losing the original layer break position.

Quote Originally Posted by mike20021969 View Post
    What are you using to play your ISO's?
    If using Virtual CloneDrive, and you used CloneDVD2 to create the ISO then maybe you'd be OK...
    Most probably I will watch the ISOs with various streaming clients (stand-alone and PC-based) but might be tempted to do other stuff with them in the future. I would really make sure to be on the safe side today. Backing up 1000+ of DVDs once is one thing, having to do it all over again some day is something I would like to avoid...

Thanks again!