Thread: CloneCD vs. CloneDVD

Default CloneCD vs. CloneDVD

First of all I apologise if this question is a bit but I'm not the most computer literate person in the world. I bought AnyDVD HD and CloneDVD last year. They work great however I didn't get the 20% off deal and I wanted to wait until it was running again before I bought CloneDVD mobile and CloneCD.

However I'm confused about CloneCD. It copies from CDs and DVDs as long as you have AnyDVD HD running yes? Am I right in thinking that CloneDVD only copies from DVDs?

I'm not sure if it's worth me buying CloneCD but I'd like to just not sure I'd use it all that much. I've never came across a CD i couldn't backup other than SACDs are there other benefits to using CloneCD over cheaper software or freeware that I am missing?

Your thoughts can you help me make up my mind?

Quote Originally Posted by Bleu View Post
    However I'm confused about CloneCD. It copies from CDs and DVDs as long as you have AnyDVD HD running yes?
    CloneCD will copy CDs and DVDs. If they're protected discs, AnyDVD needs to be running.
    Am I right in thinking that CloneDVD only copies from DVDs?
    Yes.
    I'm not sure if it's worth me buying CloneCD but I'd like to just not sure I'd use it all that much. I've never came across a CD i couldn't backup other than SACDs are there other benefits to using CloneCD over cheaper software or freeware that I am missing?
    Personally, I don't used CloneCD that much these days, but I wouldn't be without it.

I've used it for backing up Audio CD's (although not in a long while as everything is digital download these days).
    I've also used CloneCD for a couple of troublesome DVDs that CloneDVD2 failed with (home recorded DVDs).
    Last edited by mike20021969; 9th December 2011 at 08:12.
    It's not copying... it's backing up
    Download AnyDVD HD - Get The Latest Stable Version HERE

Quote Originally Posted by mike20021969 View Post
    I've also used CloneCD for a couple of troublesome DVDs that CloneDVD2 failed with (home recorded DVDs).
    Really....not for me I used it for backing up alot of older and current DVD without any problems as long as I have Anydvd HD running. I used CloneDVD to do the compression from DVD9 to DVD5 that is my main use of CloneDVD. CloneCD is still king in copying for my needs but I still have CloneDVD around when I need it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Recycle View Post
    Really
    Yes, for DVDs recorded on a Philips DVD recorder (stuff off the telly).
    It's not copying... it's backing up
    Download AnyDVD HD - Get The Latest Stable Version HERE

Quote Originally Posted by mike20021969 View Post
    Yes, for DVDs recorded on a Philips DVD recorder (stuff off the telly).
    hmmm...well I guess there are burners that are picky but my liteons that have and currently use has done me good so far from beyond the bad media press.

Hi Bleu,

after reading your post, it seems to me that you don't really need CloneCD currently.

CloneCD is great for creating 1:1 copies or images while CloneDVD does a great job at transcoding DVDs so that you can copy them to a smaller image or a smaller disc. You seem to be working with DVDs most of the time, so CloneDVD is the right tool for you.

Some years ago CloneCD - combined with certain optical drive models from certain manufacturers - was *THE* tool for creating backups of discs that couldn't be backed up otherwise. That's why I bought it in the first place. Today I don't see a real benefit any more compared to other apps like ImgBurn (freeware) or BlindWrite.

AnyDVD even supports creating 1:1 images by itself, and although this function is a very basic implementation which might not work with certain discs, it has always worked with the discs I tried it with.

CloneCD has once been my favorite CD copying tool, and I still like it and use it to create 1:1 copies and images just because I've bought it quite a while ago, but there hasn't been much development for the last few years, and unlike some years ago I don't own a disc that can't be ripped just as well with the AnyDVD rip function, ImgBurn or a similar tool. But in the end you have to decide for yourself. If you plan to buy several SlySoft apps at once and get a bundle discount and wait for a "20% off" bonus you could still go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephilim View Post
    CloneCD has once been my favorite CD copying tool, and I still like it and use it to create 1:1 copies and images just because I've bought it quite a while ago, but there hasn't been much development for the last few years
    You do know why fix a working program it still works and does it job.
    And slysoft will update when they find a bug or something they can add to the program.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephilim View Post
    I don't own a disc that can't be ripped just as well with the AnyDVD rip function, ImgBurn or a similar tool.
    Oh really Imgburn will work on protected DVD that is quite a stretch to make-don't know where you get your info but you should stop confusing people thinking imgburn will work on protected dvd of which most people are backing now days. So far only two program work at protected dvd and bd. Can't say the other one but most people already know but Anydvd HD is the only other highly recommend program that will do the job ripping or creating iso image.