Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: OPPO BDP-93/95 FW Upgrade

Default So what do you use?

So I bought my OPPO player late in 2010, and I stopped updating my firmware last year to save my ISO playback like many others. At this point I have my entire collection ripped to ISOs using AnyDVDHD. I wanted the discs gone out of my theater, and I wanted my player tucked away in my rack with all the other components. I like selecting the title on the screen and it playing like a disc, but I'm willing to abandon ISO if there is another file type out there that retains the HD video and audio quality of the disc. I don't care about the menus or trailers, just the film and retaining the same quality as the disc.

So with that said, what do you use, and any software I need in addition to AnyDVDHD?

Thanks for your thoughts and opinions!

Paul

Revving up the Yugo on the onramp to the Information Superhighway

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky015 View Post
    I don't care about the menus or trailers, just the film and retaining the same quality as the disc.

So with that said, what do you use, and any software I need in addition to AnyDVDHD?

Thanks for your thoughts and opinions!

Paul
    Look into MakeMKV or Handbrake and creating .mkv files. By the stated requirements mkv files might be the best solution for you, provided the player you use will read mkv files.

IIRC, Oppo 93/95 cannot handle lossless audio embedded in mkv file.

So has anyone got a solution to this? I like the idea of the oppo and seriously considering the new ones coming out but it seems useless to have a networking function on a high end player when all you can play is **** youtube clips or hd movies with no hd audio?
    Last edited by SamuriHL; 20th October 2012 at 20:58. Reason: language

'...Lastly, fast eddie, your statement demonstrates your lack of understanding the audience that Oppo caters to and, frankly, your info on Oppo is plain wrong. The company is consumer-oriented...'

'...That said, Oppo as a business that requires multiple licenses to produce Blu-Ray players has a noose around its neck just like every other company producing players and if they fall afoul of the licenses that they've signed then they could wind up out of business...'

I think you are being too hard on fast eddie. I returned my 103 over this issue. How's that for consumer orientation? I have posted before that I think this is an industry mistake. Network functioning is the future (see Plex as example). Oppo and Blu-ray Disc manufactures should augment this access, not get in the way. What is next, restricting multiple lossless audio formats? This is hypocrisy, and they could put themselves OUT of business, not stay in. There are other options out there which are bridging the gap between htpc and a/v equipment (see DuneHD Max).
    Last edited by Panda; 31st December 2012 at 11:53. Reason: Better

Quote Originally Posted by Panda View Post
    '...Lastly, fast eddie, your statement demonstrates your lack of understanding the audience that Oppo caters to and, frankly, your info on Oppo is plain wrong. The company is consumer-oriented...'

'...That said, Oppo as a business that requires multiple licenses to produce Blu-Ray players has a noose around its neck just like every other company producing players and if they fall afoul of the licenses that they've signed then they could wind up out of business...'

I think you are being too hard on fast eddie. I returned my 103 over this issue. How's that for consumer orientation? I have posted before that I think this is an industry mistake. Network functioning is the future (see Plex as example). Oppo and Blu-ray Disc manufactures should augment this access, not get in the way. What is next, restricting multiple lossless audio formats? This is hypocrisy, and they could put themselves OUT of business, not stay in. There are other options out there which are bridging the gap between htpc and a/v equipment (see DuneHD Max).
    I disagree that I was too hard on fast eddie but, hey, we don't all have to agree.

I think Oppo made a stupid mistake by adding the ISO playback ability and forgetting to remove it as they claim. The ability to play ISOs was one they added and should have removed before it ever went public. It's pretty predictable that the studios would be upset about it and they were. Sure, it was a nice feature but they had to remove it. If they didn't they'd be in trouble and to deny that is simply silly and delusional.

As for the BDP-9x players they were never able to handle TrueHD in Matroska containers, and had issues with DTS/DTS-HD so that also made MKV playback a pain unless you wanted to convert DTS/TrueHD to AC3 which takes extra time to do. The apparent fault with the 9x players is with Mediatek with respect to whether it can/will be added. Some of the DTS issues may have been resolved but I long since gave up on caring or playing around with it.

I'm surprised Oppo still hasn't been leaned on to remove BDMV folder playback. I guess we'll wait and see on that one.

For the time being I still have a region-free modded BDP-83 and region-free modded BDP-93. Right now I don't have the free time to worry about upgrading to a BDP-103.
    DrinkLyeAndDie

• All users agreed to follow forum rules when they registered and are expected to abide by them. Ignorance is not an excuse.
    • I neither represent nor am I employed by SlySoft or its developers. My responses do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of SlySoft or its employees.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky015 View Post
    So I bought my OPPO player late in 2010, and I stopped updating my firmware last year to save my ISO playback like many others. At this point I have my entire collection ripped to ISOs using AnyDVDHD. I wanted the discs gone out of my theater, and I wanted my player tucked away in my rack with all the other components. I like selecting the title on the screen and it playing like a disc, but I'm willing to abandon ISO if there is another file type out there that retains the HD video and audio quality of the disc. I don't care about the menus or trailers, just the film and retaining the same quality as the disc.
    The Oppo will play ISO as well as the BDMV folder (or BDMV and Certificate folder inside an AVCHD folder) as if it was the original disc, with menus etc: however some say that ISO gives the least playback issues. AFAIK, BDMV and AVCHD playback is still permitted with the latest firmware (although ISO capability is gone). 3D can be problematic as folders instead of ISO and it takes up much more space because multi-referenced sectors are expanded to separate files.

The Oppo will also play the m2ts file(s) but there is no menu or chapter access and soundtracks or subtitles have to be manually selected via the remote. Some have reported glitches with m2ts.

If you only want the main movie, ClownBD can extract it to m2ts file or Bluray structure (ie BDMV + Certificate folders or ISO). Bluray structure maintains chapter navigation capability and is preferable to m2ts file.

There are no other well supported file types for FHD material.

Mkv with the Oppo is great for compressed x264 material with DD or DTS soundtracks, but FHD material is best as m2ts, BDMV, AVCHD or ISO.

If you are getting good results with ISO, I would stick to it for FHD material. The only penalty is HDD space, but then HDD are cheap. Depending on how many HDD you are using, it may be an idea to duplicate the drives in case of failure. Since it takes about 48 hours to rip to a 2TB HDD, it's a lot of effort to repeat if a HDD fails, but risk assessment is up to the individual.
    Last edited by YaniD; 11th February 2013 at 07:19.