Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blu-ray Playing

Default Blu-ray Playing

I downloaded the trial, and it wouldn't play a particular blu-ray. It needed to update something, but couldn't as it was only a trial. So I checked the AnyDVD HD page, and saw that the full version should allow me to "watch movies over digital display connection" (quoted from the software's page on SlySoft).

So I bought it and now it downloaded the update fine. But I can't see any way to play the blu-ray; only rip it to my hard-drive. The blu-ray in question is rented; I do not own it, and I have no desire to fill my hard drive with an .iso file every time I want to watch a Blu-ray.

The reason I bought AnyDVD HD in the first place was purely so I could watch blu-rays again, after my old PowerDVD 7.3 packed up. So now I seem to have 2 pieces of software that don't play Blu-rays! Any ideas, guys?

If the AnyDVD HD software really doesn't play Blu-rays, then I would like my money back. I wanted software that plays movies, not rip movies.

And any suggestions on where to get software that actually DOES play Blu-rays?

Quote Originally Posted by Whothehellisthat View Post
    I downloaded the trial, and it wouldn't play a particular blu-ray. It needed to update something, but couldn't as it was only a trial. So I checked the AnyDVD HD page, and saw that the full version should allow me to "watch movies over digital display connection" (quoted from the software's page on SlySoft).

So I bought it and now it downloaded the update fine. But I can't see any way to play the blu-ray; only rip it to my hard-drive. The blu-ray in question is rented; I do not own it, and I have no desire to fill my hard drive with an .iso file every time I want to watch a Blu-ray.

The reason I bought AnyDVD HD in the first place was purely so I could watch blu-rays again, after my old PowerDVD 7.3 packed up. So now I seem to have 2 pieces of software that don't play Blu-rays! Any ideas, guys?

If the AnyDVD HD software really doesn't play Blu-rays, then I would like my money back. I wanted software that plays movies, not rip movies.

And any suggestions on where to get software that actually DOES play Blu-rays?
    What you've found out is correct. AnyDVDHD does't actually play the movie, but allows you to play your movie over connections that haven't been artificially gimped by the studios such as a "digital display connection".

To actually play the BluRay, you can use something like VLC (VideoLan) player that will actually play the Bluray. It's free and can be downloaded from here
    http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Yeah... Shame it was mis-advertised on the site. Or at least misleading. Hopefully I can get my money back ;/

Just finished ripping a Blu-ray to .iso, but VLC won't play it. Tried mounting it with Daemon Tools, and still no go.

Question I beg your pardon

Yeah... Shame it was mis-advertised on the site. Or at least misleading. Hopefully I can get my money back ;/
    If we intended AnyDVD to be a player we'd offer it as such. Considering it's not a "program" but a background driver it would be a pretty silly player, no?
    And since we offer a free trial-before-buy we do not refund.

AnyDVDHD allows you to watch movies over a digital display connection, without HDCP-compliant graphics card and without HDCP-compliant display. No need to buy an expensive monitor.

Where do you see there that it's a "player". It make it possible to do that!

Further on in features and requirements you see clear references to "players".
    Frank Hollander

SlySoft Inc., Support Team

One of the last Wild Ducks

PMs will only be answered if really private.

Thanks!

Question And the error is ??

Just finished ripping a Blu-ray to .iso, but VLC won't play it. Tried mounting it with Daemon Tools, and still no go.
    You should be able to play a bluray without doing anything exotic like creating an ISO. What is the VLC player telling you?
    Frank Hollander

Thanks!

Revving up the Yugo on the onramp to the Information Superhighway

Get the free virtual drive software Virtual Clone Drive, available for free from Slysoft. Daemon Tools has over time bloated up to be a real system hog.

One thing I've noticed with the VLC player is that it (currently) has problems with playback if you enabled the speed menus option in AnyDVD HD. VCL skips past the annoying clips by default, DVDs and Blurays, and enabling AnyDVD's speed menus confuses the player.

You don't need to create an ISO initially to see if things are working. Just insert the disc you want to watch, let AnyDVD decrypt the protections, and then watch. If it plays back from the disc the way you want it to then you can create the ISO for archival purposes.

I'm only using Daemon Tools Lite, and I've never had problems with it, myself. And I didn't enable speedmenus, so I don't understand why VLC doesn't want to play it. There aren't any error's; it just instantly stops when I hit "play".

I don't understand how to do this with AnyDVD, though. I put in the disc, and it does *something*-- is that when it decrypts it? Then how do I go about playing it from there?

Default Normally "play" is simple

There is nothing exotic about playing a disc with AnyDVD running in the background "allowing" you to play with non-hdcp hardware (that's one if it's functions BTW).

Use the "open disk" dialog in VLC to see if that makes a difference. Did you reboot after installing it? Closing immediately after selecting "play" tells me something is very wrong here and I can't place it, but the latest VLC should pick up the disc and play it without any black magic or mirrors thing.

Let's see a log please.

See point "2" here:

https://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=45785

and then let's see.
    Frank Hollander

Thanks!

Revving up the Yugo on the onramp to the Information Superhighway

I'm only using Daemon Tools Lite, and I've never had problems with it, myself. And I didn't enable speedmenus, so I don't understand why VLC doesn't want to play it. There aren't any error's; it just instantly stops when I hit "play".

I don't understand how to do this with AnyDVD, though. I put in the disc, and it does *something*-- is that when it decrypts it? Then how do I go about playing it from there?
    Providing a log file from the disc in question might go a long way to understanding why things are going wrong at your end, it could be a disc with problems. Read Info: How to Ask for Help for the steps to create and post a log file.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast