Thread: MacGruber Blu-Ray won't backup

Hybrid View

Default MacGruber Blu-Ray won't backup

I tried to backup MacGruber (Universal) unrated edition Blu-ray from G to H drive, from H to G drive and from H to H drive. In all cases the backup (Using Nero StartSmart 9) hung and nothing was copied though the backup disk became unusable. This using both AnyDVD 7.0.2.0 and 7.0.2.6 (beta). Both logfiles are attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files

And what happens if you try ripping using AnyDVD HD's built in ripper? There's never any copy protection reason why you can't copy a Blu-ray disc as they don't contain structural protection. AnyDVD HD is there to remove the AACS, BD+ and the Sony java protections so you can make backups, etc
    Last edited by Adbear; 31st March 2012 at 03:36.

Quote Originally Posted by Adbear View Post
    And what happens if you try ripping using AnyDVD HD's built in ripper? There's never any copy protection reason why you can't copy a Blu-ray disc as they don't contain structural protection. AnyDVD HD is there to remove the AACS, BD+ and the Sony java protections so you can make backups, etc
    +1. I seriously doubt any component or variant of Nero 9 supports BDs, except perhaps for playback; can't test StartSmart specifically as that component was removed in Nero 11 HD. More than likely Nero 9's failure was caused by lack of BD support in Nero itself, especially StartSmart (which was limited to rudimentary actions).

For full-disc BD rips & burns (i.e., no need for ClownBD or BDRB), it's best to limit yourself to the AnyDVD HD ripper (right-click the fox for options) and either CloneCD or ImgBurn, unless you know something else will work on BDs (not DVDs). If rips in the AnyDVD ripper fail, review this sticky for further instructions, which will usually verify it's a bad disc, drive and/or drive cable.

Quote Originally Posted by RBBrittain View Post
    +1. I seriously doubt any component or variant of Nero 9 supports BDs, except perhaps for playback; can't test StartSmart specifically as that component was removed in Nero 11 HD. More than likely Nero 9's failure was caused by lack of BD support in Nero itself, especially StartSmart (which was limited to rudimentary actions).

For full-disc BD rips & burns (i.e., no need for ClownBD or BDRB), it's best to limit yourself to the AnyDVD HD ripper (right-click the fox for options) and either CloneCD or ImgBurn, unless you know something else will work on BDs (not DVDs). If rips in the AnyDVD ripper fail, review this sticky for further instructions, which will usually verify it's a bad disc, drive and/or drive cable.
    Nothing wrong with using Nero 9 for copying and writing Blu-ray discs, been able to use it for standard copying and writing of discs since version 7 I think, I just don't use it myself as it used to have issues when making disc to disc copies of Blu-rays if the disc used all the space

I have used Nero 9 in combination with AnyDVD for several years to backup DVDs and BDs to blank recordable media (DVD+R DL or BD 50GB) with no problems, except the rare copy protection not yet implemented in AnyDVD. A new beta version has always fixed that. I didn't even realize AnyDVD had its own ripping feature. I'll try that.

Quote Originally Posted by wlrc View Post
    I have used Nero 9 in combination with AnyDVD for several years to backup DVDs and BDs to blank recordable media (DVD+R DL or BD 50GB) with no problems, except the rare copy protection not yet implemented in AnyDVD. A new beta version has always fixed that. I didn't even realize AnyDVD had its own ripping feature. I'll try that.
    Apparently AnyDVD will only rip to an image or to a hard disk. I want to rip directly to a BD blank. Which is what Nero 9 lets me do.

Default Rip first, then burn

It may be as simply as Nero not able to work with AnyDVD on-the-fly.

Rip that content to the hard drive and then use your Nero to burn from that hard-drive directory, not the disc.

Is there a reason why you want to use 50GB blanks?

To fit to a 25GB blank, see this Forum discussion:
    http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread....=shrink+BluRay
    OR:
    With compression:
    - Use AnyDVD HD ("rip video...." or "rip to image..." ISO image) right click menu on the tray icon

- Use the free BD Rebuilder tool
    http://www.videohelp.com/tools/BD_Rebuilder
    to compress down to approximately 23.3 gb on a BD-R single layer)
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/au..._rebuilder.cfm

- Imgburn
    Frank Hollander

SlySoft Inc., Support Team

One of the last Wild Ducks

PMs will only be answered if really private.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by wlrc View Post
    Apparently AnyDVD will only rip to an image or to a hard disk. I want to rip directly to a BD blank. Which is what Nero 9 lets me do.
    You do realize that unless you have 2 drives, then Nero rips to the harddrive first anyway then burns that back to the disc, and if you're doing a direct disc to disc using 2 drives then you run the risk of write failure when you hit a read error on the original and then waste a disc

You do realize that unless you have 2 drives, then Nero rips to the harddrive first anyway then burns that back to the disc, and if you're doing a direct disc to disc using 2 drives then you run the risk of write failure when you hit a read error on the original and then waste a disc
    I use 2 drives for speed and efficiency. Read errors are rare, but I do have a few coasters .

To answer an earlier post I use 50 GB most of the time because that is the size of the original discs. I will look into the link for fitting on 25 GB but I don't want to do any further compression.