Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best Ways to Playback from an External HDD to HDTV

Great, I'm going to try the beta version out on my standard DVDs first and see how that goes. Baby steps. Also I read up on Cinavia...that's a new breed of trouble...very interesting tho.

Also, I will be getting a new used computer soon (well, in the next month or so) to aid in this project.

This will be work in progress.
    Last edited by MMM; 3rd April 2012 at 04:19.

Awesome! Good luck!!

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    Perhaps you should read The Rules?

My replies represent ONLY myself and do NOT represent SlySoft. I do not work for SlySoft.

Having some problems. I turned my copy of Super 8 (only movie currently on my comp) into an mkv file using makemkv beta, but the file does not play past the fourth chapter using VLC player on my computer.

Also, I found out that Windows Media Player, Quicktime, and Nero's player does not support the mkv format. Also,I copied to a flash drive a smaller mkv file of the movie trailers from the Super 8 DVD and tried to play the movie on my Sony S570 blu-ray player (which is supposed to support mkv files), but it could not be played at all.

Any ideas? I will try another method tomorrow. Does iTunes support mkv? I know it supports mp4. Looking into Apple TV.

So.....not a successful first attempt eh? Lol. Appletv will not play mkv. Not unless you jailbreak it and throw xbmc on it. I can't help with your blu-ray player that supposedly handles mkv. The PC...I might be able to help there. Do a search for mpc-hc and lav filters. Install both. I have a post around here about configuring them, but essentially, you can disable all the internal filters in mpc-hc and add lav splitter, lav audio, and lav video to the external filters page and set them to preferred. That will play your mkv. What are the specs on your PC?

My replies represent ONLY myself and do NOT represent SlySoft. I do not work for SlySoft.

Lol...yea well, just gotta try something else...

The mpc-hc software that you recommended works! After a quick scan through the chapters, the mkv file seems to play perfectly.

Should I still disable all the internal filters and use the external lav filters even if the mkv files play ok? In the options, there are internal source filters and internal transform filters...should I disable both types?

Also, here are the specs for my computer:
    Intel Core2 Duo
    T7250 @ 2.0 Ghz processor
    2 GHz, 2 GB of RAM
    NVIDIA QUADRO FX 360M VERSION 6.14.11.119

Yea i would. Lav filters are much better. I'm not sure about your video card but it might support cuvid decoding. Check the properties in lav video when you add it to the external filters page. If it supports cuvid then I'd highly recommend installing madvr and setting that as the renderer in mpc-hc. That should really make your day if it works.

Hardware acceleration>Hardware Decoder to use>NVIDIA CUVID (Not Available). Shucks. What kind of computer specs are needed to run cuvid and madvr?

Also, after I disabled all the internal filters and enabled the external lav filters, the movie's audio got really soft. Do I have to adjust any settings in the internal filters>audio switcher or lav audio settings?

I use a gts 450 for cuvid decoding. Any of the newer nvidia gpus can do it.

As for audio there is no mixing in lav audio. So it won't mix 5.1 down to stereo for example. That's coming at some point but he has implemented it yet.

He's probably going to have problems changing the graphics card as it's a laptop, and the 360m is based on the 8400m, so quite old these days

Yea, good point...wasn't paying attention to the M on that. He's probably also going to want ReClock as the audio renderer so that it'll mix the 5.1 down to stereo until Nev gets around to adding that natively in LAV Audio. In any case, I'd still try madVR, but, I would tone it down a bit on the scaling. You never know. It might work.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast