Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LG BD670 player errors on BD-R DL media

Default LG BD670 player errors on BD-R DL media

FYI.

The latest firmware for the LG BD670 has broken playback of BD-R DL media. I sent a message to LG and they confirmed the problem and said they're working on a fix but recommend downgrading the firmware to an earlier version.

The bad firmware:

Main Ver: BD.8.97.404 <--
    Servo Ver: H90377 (H09LGN)

The CMCMAG-DI6 BD-R DL media I have played fine with earlier firmware versions but error out and are ejected with this version.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabertooth View Post
    FYI.

The latest firmware for the LG BD670 has broken playback of BD-R DL media. I sent a message to LG and they confirmed the problem and said they're working on a fix but recommend downgrading the firmware to an earlier version.

The bad firmware:

Main Ver: BD.8.97.404 <--
    Servo Ver: H90377 (H09LGN)

The CMCMAG-DI6 BD-R DL media I have played fine with earlier firmware versions but error out and are ejected with this version.
    Thanks for that info. Are you (or LG) saying that you can reverse the firmware version? Have you tried that yourself yet? Details are appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Roycal View Post
    Thanks for that info. Are you (or LG) saying that you can reverse the firmware version? Have you tried that yourself yet? Details are appreciated.
    You can obtain the previous firmware version on the LG website (Software Update tab) and downgrade to that version. I downloaded the firmware but haven't downgraded yet.

I didn't downgrade because I found that some of my CMCMAG DI6 BD-R DL media will play and may try to get a better handle on what's going on. I also have an MPC connected to the same TV and it has another blu-ray player installed so I'm able to fall back to it when I do need to play a problem disk.

Default Bd.8.97.404

Sabertooth, That's the exact same (BD.8.97.404) firmware that is still pending on my LG BD-650 via direct internet update.

I still have BD.8.62.382 and haven't upgraded beyond that rev and have confirmed it is Cinavia free.
    I am having new problems with original disks playng back on the LG BD-650, but no problem playing the AnyDVD backup copies so far. My experience is that when you have a problem with a disk even loading, it's a hardware problem (including the disk or the drive itself) and not the firmware. So I don't think my recent problems are with the firmware.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone else with experience with this firmware version, i.e. if it works for them or not.
    BD.8.97.404
    Last edited by Roycal; 3rd May 2012 at 05:07.

My experience is that when you have a problem with a disk even loading, it's a hardware problem (including the disk or the drive itself) and not the firmware. So I don't think my recent problems are with the firmware.
    The reason I determined the firmware was at fault was that a disk that had played okay stopped playing after the firmware update. The disks I tried also played okay in 5 other players. The response from LG support seemed to support this as they said they were aware of the problem and recommended the downgrade. I didn't think it was cinavia as there was no playback at all and cinavia is encoded in the audio track.

I've been generally disappointed with the LG BD670 due to occassional stuttering during playback. What exactly sort of problems are you having?

I agree this problem is not Cinavia related.

Recently I've had issues with my LG BD650 rejecting perfectly good disks and no firmware updates. I verified with other disks that I knew were working before so I know the player is starting to flake out. It's less than a year old too.

My first player was a Samsung BDC6900 and it only lasted about a year too. It won't play BD's at all but will play DVD's. Same issue with the LG BD-650, no problem playing DVD's but is suddenly finicky with the BD's. Sometimes have to cycle the tray several times to get a BD to play.

I'm not saying you're problem is not firmware but it could be just a coincidence that your player started flaking out at the same time you upgraded.

BTW. The problem I am having could possibly be fixed with a firmware upgrade, because once the BD loads, it usually plays flawlessly. But I am using the same firmware I've used for the last 6 months so it is a performance hardware player issue.
    It's possible that LG could come up with a firmware improvement to compensate for the degradation in hardware performance.

That's why I am surprised that the latest firmware could make that problem worse. It's possible that when you contacted LG they acknowledged improving disk loading in the firmware, but that doesn't mean that's what your problem with your player was.
    For them to suggest down reving to an earlier version sounds like they just wanted to get you off the phone. This version of firmware is still a current update on their website, at least it is still pending on my player.

Anyway, were you able to down rev your players firmware?
    Last edited by Roycal; 4th May 2012 at 01:50.

Default Bd.8.97.404

Anyone else who has practical experience with this firmware version on their LG BD-6XX's feel free to comment. Does it work or not?

BD.8.97.404. There are probably millions by now.

My opinion with the Blu ray so far is that most players are total crap and like bic lighters. They work just long enough to survive the warranty period.

The only exception to that are the Oppo leaders of the world and those who don't mind laying down 1000 USD or so.

But no kidding, my LGBD650 cost me all of 100 dollars USD including shipping and it lasted a year. Should I complain? It's confusing and annoying
    Last edited by Roycal; 4th May 2012 at 02:20.

My opinion with the Blu ray so far is that most players are total crap and like bic lighters. They work just long enough to survive the warranty period.

The only exception to that are the Oppo leaders of the world and those who don't mind laying down 1000 USD or so.

But no kidding, my LGBD650 cost me all of 100 dollars USD including shipping and it lasted a year. Should I complain? It's confusing and annoying
    The cost of repairing a $100 player makes them all throw away at that price point. And, yes, you should complain, they should last longer than a year. I also have two Sony set top players and the build quality of those is much better than the LG. It's apparent in the loading mechanism especially. The oldest Sony, a BDP-S550, is still going strong after several years in service though I recently retired it to lesser duties when I upgraded to a 3-D platform (and purchased the LG BD670).

Only time and perhaps a decent firmware update will show whether the problem is the player crapping out.

When your player rejects a disc, do you get an error and is the disk ejected from the player (the behavior I experienced)? Your problem having taken place over a longer time horizon and not involving the last firmware update could however mean that LG was responding to that on-going issue that may or may not be related to my problem.

The problem is getting worse. What happens is after about 4 seconds of closing the disk drawer, it show's an error on the readout and TV and opens the disk drawer. If I cycle it enough times, the disk loads ok then plays flawlessly. It has the same problem with D/L or S/L BD-R and BD-ROM disks.

I just checked the LG website and even the USB firmware version is the same as the one that LG told you has an issue. So if it has a possible issue, why would they keep posting it?

I also noticed that they posted an update on the warranty. The original warranty in the box is for 1 year parts and labor and now they have changed that to 1 year parts 90 days labor. They claim it was a typo, but I have a feeling that the warranty repairs have been devasting their profits. It makes you really wonder about the quality.

I have always liked Sony too, but now with the Cinavia thing, I have been avoiding them. Does your Sony player have the Cinavia code? i.e. flags an error with Cinavia protected backups? TIA.