Thread: Multiple small M2TS Files

Default Multiple small M2TS Files

Backing up a Blu Ray but the AnyDVD rip has produced multiple small M2TS files the largest of which is only 15 mins. There are 161 files

Is this a protection that AnyDVD hasn't sorted ? The files are in the "Stream" folder.

The disc is "Ted", by the way.
    Last edited by Ainsley; 1st December 2012 at 15:01.

That's nothing unusual. If you'll look at the files on the disc themselves they should be the same like that. This is normal for a disc that uses "seamless branching" for files. This method makes it easier for studio's to place multiple versions of the same movie on 1 disc without having to create completely new streams

eg:
    Cinema version: mpls1 > 00000.m2ts + 00002.m2ts + 00004.m2ts = complete movie
    directors cut: mpls2 > 00000.m2ts + 00001.m2ts (new scene) + 00002.m2ts + 00003.m2ts (new scene) + 00004.m2ts = complete movie

Doing it that way the studios can use the same short sequences for the parts of the 2 movies that are the same and insert the new short sequences for the director's cut. Saves space on a disc. Nothing unusual or "protection" about it
    I do NOT work for Slysoft. Please do NOT pm me with problems you may have!

Desktop
    OS: Vista Ultimate X64 || MB: Asus P5Q-E || CPU: Intel Q9550 || CPU Cooler: Asus Triton 79 || RAM: 8GB Corsair XMS2
    GPU: Asus GTX 680 DirectCU II OC 2GB || Monitor: Asus VG278 || HDD: 2x Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB
    Op. Drive 1: LG BH16NS40 || Op. Drive 2: LG BH10LS30 || Op. Drive 3: LG GH20NS10

Home Theatre
    TV: Panasonic TX-P42S20 || Blu-ray Player: Panasonic DMP-BD85 || Sound: 5.1 Surround Logitech Z-5500

Default Thanks for the info...

... but does that mean I can't now use Handbrake to produce a iTunes compatible version ?

Use the one MPLS (playlist) file for seamless branching disks for the main movie, which can be identified by BDinfo.

Use the movie only MPLS file just like you would the one movie only M2TS file of a non-seamless branching disk for loading into other software programs.

On seamless branching disks, the sum of those M2TS files that Ch3vrOn is talking about must also be in the proper sequence flow (correct number order) or the movie is all mixed up.
    But the movie only MPLS file sets up the proper sequence flow of the more than one movie only M2TS files.
    Last edited by fast eddie; 1st December 2012 at 17:47.
    Fast Eddie

Default Thanks...

...that's really useful to know. In the end Handbrake actually did find the file it needed - I think I was being impatient before as it doesn't take more than a few seconds to find the right file with a DVD.