Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AnyDVD key

Smile AnyDVD key

I just did a permanent purchase of AnyDVD. The key is on my desktop, and I'd like to save it to an external file, in case of drive failure or reinstall to new operating system. I tried to do a copy and then paste to a text file that I'm placing all licenses and keys into and then copy to a cd. It looks like it copies, but I can't paste to my text file. Is there someway to save the keyfile.

Thanks

Joe

you have to save the key file itself, only by double clicking on that file will it register

Question

I double clicked on the key and all it does is point to the file itself on the desktop and asks me to restart Anydvd. I've already restarted Anydvd and my status does say free updates forever. I don't get any other message. Maybe I'm not explaining myself correctly. I purchased a permanent license earlier this month when my original license expired. I downloaded the new key file to the desktop as well as the update for Anydvd. I double clicked on the key file and it showed what I said above. After I restarted Anydvd my status does show free updates forever. How do I save the key file.

Is the key file the name that shows in the box when I click on properties?

Default Email

Save the origional Email with attachment to a CDR or flash drive.

Or just right click on the file on your desktop, (the same one you double clicked to register) then right click on whatever place you want to save to and select paste. Could be any of those in the previous post, or send in a email to something like a Gmail account. Perfect, off site probably won't be burnt in a home fire, or hard drive failure, should last forever there, but I always use several locations.

The key file is what turns your trial version into a registered copy, you have to run it to make AnyDVD registered, by double clicking it you're inserting the license key into the correct location. There is no other way to do this so just copying the serial number inside AnyDVD will not work. You have to back up the key.anydvd file if you want to be able to re-install it in the future. It does tell you this on the email you received with the license key attached
    Last edited by Adbear; 30th December 2012 at 03:38.

Quote Originally Posted by joeretired View Post
    I double clicked on the key and all it does is point to the file itself on the desktop and asks me to restart Anydvd. I've already restarted Anydvd and my status does say free updates forever. I don't get any other message. Maybe I'm not explaining myself correctly. I purchased a permanent license earlier this month when my original license expired. I downloaded the new key file to the desktop as well as the update for Anydvd. I double clicked on the key file and it showed what I said above. After I restarted Anydvd my status does show free updates forever. How do I save the key file.

Is the key file the name that shows in the box when I click on properties?
    The Key.AnyDVDHD file is actually just a .reg file. The unique .AnyDVDHD extension class registration is simply there to make a box pop up to tell you to restart AnyDVD.

If you open Key.AnyDVDHD in a text editor like Notepad, you will see that your key is actually a string registry value called "Key" under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\SlySoft\AnyDVD\Key.

If you really want to, you can open Key.AnyDVDHD in notepad, and copy and paste the data from there into your separate text file. But to register AnyDVD, that key needs to be entered into the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\SlySoft\AnyDVD\Key. And the easiest way to do that, is to simply double click on the Key.AnyDVDHD file.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Pelvis Popcan; 30th December 2012 at 15:46.

Quote Originally Posted by Adbear View Post
    There is no other way to do this so just copying the serial number inside AnyDVD will not work.
    That is simply not true. You can paste the key manually into the Windows registry. Alternatively, you can rename the Key.AnyDVDHD file to Anything.reg and it will import correctly.

I know you can copy it and manually enter it into the registry, but it's easier just to tell people they need to keep the key file. Unless he writes that down he's only going to come back when he needs to re-install and complain that he can't figure out how to enter the serial number. There's a reason why they give you the key file, and that's to make it easier to register than having to manually edit the registry. Having worked in IT support for 15 years it's easier to tell people only the one preferred way than to complicate the issue by giving them other ways they may not understand, especially as he had to ask how to copy the key file from his desktop.
    Last edited by Adbear; 30th December 2012 at 07:31.

Wink

Well, I guess I'm just a person who doesn't beleive in saying things that aren't true "for the benefit of people who don't know any better." I believe that deliberately spreading misinformation always hurts everyone in the end.

What I would advise, is that while you can copy the information from the Key.AnyDVDHD file and put it into your own text file, it's simply easier to save your Key.AnyDVDHD file separately in a safe location. You can always be sure that after you install AnyDVD, simply double clicking the key file will import the key to your registry and AnyDVD will then be registered.

However, if you did really want to save that information separately in a text file with other information, that would in fact be possible, as I described above.