Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rip BD to HD or iso

Default rip BD to HD or iso

I've been ripping all my bluray movies to my HD and compressing with BDRebuilder to burn on a BD disc for my standalone BD player. I've done a hundred with no problems. Recently I read that James said the you should almost never rip to HD but should rip to iso instead. My question is how do you then separate the movie only and compress the iso to burn it on a BD-25 disc to play on a standalone? I ripped 7 Psychopaths to iso but it wouldn't even play on my computer with MPC or MPC-BE. I never have a problem playing my burned BDs with either or my panny standalone. Is there a guide for this? I couldn't find one.
    Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by ricoman View Post
    I've been ripping all my bluray movies to my HD and compressing with BDRebuilder to burn on a BD disc for my standalone BD player. I've done a hundred with no problems. Recently I read that James said the you should almost never rip to HD but should rip to iso instead. My question is how do you then separate the movie only and compress the iso to burn it on a BD-25 disc to play on a standalone? I ripped 7 Psychopaths to iso but it wouldn't even play on my computer with MPC or MPC-BE. I never have a problem playing my burned BDs with either or my panny standalone. Is there a guide for this? I couldn't find one.
    Thanks in advance.
    You do know they make 50gig blue media right? They say to go ISO because you can use BDRebuilder to compress or make it however you want. Rip to movie is just movie only and might not give you options that is present in the ISO since that will be close to the movie format when you burn it back. But if you haven't had any problems doing what your doing then keep doing what your doing unless you are having problems.

I think the main reason James says that is because it preserves the discs structure so the files are laid out on the image when burnt back to discs exactly the same way as they are on the original, so if you have a seamless branching disc and the authoring has bothered to try and lay the files out so they have minimum seek time you preserve that structure (Personally I've yet to find any where it makes any difference whether you rip to folder or image other than 3D discs which always should be ripped to image).
    As you are running it through BD Rebuilder to make a 'Movie only' it won't affect anything you are doing as BD Rebuilder removes that structure anyway

Thanks for your replies. I guess I'll stick with what I'm doing. I'm only interested in "movie only" and 50 gb discs are way too expensive.

I also have been using the BDMV folder rip for years and it works just fine.

If you rip to ISO from AnyDVD HD it won't load into software programs like BD Rebuilder, BD info, they need the BDMV folder method of ripping to be loaded.

Most software players and hardware players will play ISO or BDMV folder methods of ripping.

If you MUST have an ISO image as output and it needs to be compressed to fit on a BD-R single layer, you can go this route.

Using AnyDVD HD rip to hard drive using BDMV folder method, using BD Rebuilder compress movie only to 25gb, use Imgburn and convert BDMV folder method to ISO image method, then burn ISO image with Imgburn to a BD-R single layer.

There are many times when a BDMV folder method of ripping is preferred over and ISO image of ripping.

In this corporation, all the evil of BDMV folder ripping went over to Sony and Verance.
    Last edited by fast eddie; 7th March 2013 at 08:20.
    Fast Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by fast eddie View Post
    There are many times when a BDMV folder method of ripping is preferred over and ISO image of ripping.
    Like when? You can rip to ISO, then mount that ISO and use it in your program of choice. The only reason I used to do it was to remove the spare empty space which you would sometimes get on images which James has now removed by using sparse files
    Last edited by Adbear; 7th March 2013 at 08:12.

... and the program of choice should be Virtual Clonedrive!

I'll stick to what I've been doing. I don't watch all of the extras so I don't need menus. I just put the BDRebuilder processed disc into the standolone and the movie pops right on. That's the way I like it. It doesn't make sense to me to reprocess to iso after compressing movie only. James was so adamant that I assumed that there was some great advantage. I guess if you're saving to a media server it would be advantageous, but I guess I'm old school, I still like discs.

Quote Originally Posted by capsbackup View Post
    ... and the program of choice should be Virtual Clonedrive!
    VCD is for mounting the ISO. By "program of choice" Adbear meant BDRB, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Recycle View Post
    ...They say to go ISO because you can use BDRebuilder to compress or make it however you want...
    I didn't see any options in BDRebuilder to work with an iso. In fact, it wouldn't even accept the iso in the "source path." Am I missing something?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast