Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Playing 3D with PowerDVD + HDTV

Default Playing 3D with PowerDVD + HDTV

Hey all

We recently purchased a brand new, Samsung 3D LCD LED 50" Television.

I thought I would try out some 3D Blu-Rays I have in my collection, by playing them through the computer into the TV via HDMI.

I'm using PowerDVD13. The question(s) I have is that when I select the 3D option from the Blu-Ray menu (Men in Black 3 3D) it loads normally (when not connected to the TV it says 'connect 3D tv', so it knows its connected to a 3D compatible display).. but doesn't play in 3D? It just looks like a completely normal 2D image (no blurry image without the glasses).

I see there is a 3D button on PowerDVD down the bottom, but if I click that, is that displaying the true 3D image from the Blu-Ray, or is it doing CyberLinks 2D to 3D conversion?

Shouldn't it just play in 3D if its a 3D blu-ray?

Default Does your computer have HDMI 1.4?

Assuming your computer has HDMI 1.4 (mine does) PowerDVD13 should automatically play your 3D movie in 3D if connected to your tv with a HDMI 1.4 cord. My 3D LG set prompted me to put on my 3D glasses when I played my first 3D Blu ray (and my first 3D blu ray .iso) via PowerDVD13.

You don't mention if you have a standard 3D Blu ray player to compare it's 3D against what you are seeing with PowerDVD13.

PowerDVD13's 3D output is just as good as what I get from my Samsung 3D blu ray player.
    Last edited by just curious; 9th August 2013 at 04:52.

Hmm.. I'm not sure if my laptop is HDMI 1.4 I'll have to try and find out, but I doubt it is.. it's a couple years old now (HP Pavilion DV6-6C38TX)

I thought 1.4 wasn't really required for 3D, it was just the next step in HDMI, or is it essential?

No I don't have a regular stand alone 3D player, I don't really want to buy one if I can use the PC instead.

** Edit - My HDMI Output is 1.4 , but also read any HDMI cable can pass a 3D signal.
    Last edited by hamisht; 9th August 2013 at 07:51.

Default "I thought 1.4 wasn't really required for 3D"

HDMI 1.4 IS required for playback of retail 3D blu ray discs (or .iso images of such discs). The HDMI cord going to your tv MUST be a HDMI 1.4 cord. You can't use a HDMI 1.3 cord when playing retail 3D blu rays (or .iso images of such discs).

You CAN play 3D content to your tv from your current pc even if all it has is HDMI 1.3 - It just has to be 3D in a format such as "Side By Side" or "Top And Bottom"

Most, if not all, retail 3D Blu-ray's use the Frame packing format which requires HDMI 1.4

I recently converted a retail 3D blu ray to Side By Side format with a competitor's product and it plays in 3D on my LG set. If my set automatically "sees" the side by side format it starts playing in 3D.

If my set does NOT automatically "see" the side by side format I have to manually select that 3D option from my remote.

I also found out if you have a Hauppauge HD PVR and your Cable tv system shows side by side 3D format you can record that 3D with the Hauppauge via the component out jacks and play back the recorded files in 3D on sets such as my LG 3D tv which can play side by side 3D .TS files.
    Last edited by just curious; 9th August 2013 at 10:34.

Ok, I will buy a 1.4 cable today and see if that helps. I will report back the result

Default A HDMI 1.4 cable should result in 3D on your tv!

HDMI 1.3 ports & HDMI 1.3 cords work fine for "Side By Side" or "Top And Bottom" 3D format.

HDMI 1.4 ports & HDMI 1.4 cords are mandatory for retail 3D Blu-ray's using Frame packing format 3D.

Once you install a HDMI 1.4 cord your tv should prompt you to put on 3D glasses once you select the 3D option from the Blu-Ray menu of your Men in Black 3 3D and start playing the movie.
    Last edited by just curious; 9th August 2013 at 17:07.

I bought the 1.4 cable. I plugged it in like normal, and just let PowerDVD13 load the Blu-ray (this time Tintin 3D).

It didn't automatically play in 3D. I still had to click the 'Enable 3D' button at the bottom of PowerDVD. Having the 1.4 cable did allow me to choose '1.4 Enabled 3D TV (1080p 25hz)' from the 'Display Device' drop down menu. The TV went black then came back and the Samsung 3D logo appeared in the bottom left corner of the television.

However it didn't look 3D through the glasses.. most of the background was still blurred... I got the feeling it was still the software trying to convert a 2D image to 3D, rather than the actual Blu-ray 3D source...

You say it should play automatically in 3D? Does that mean you don't click the 'Enable 3D' button on PowerDVD when you play a 3D movie?

Default I don't recall needing to click enable 3D

Before getting PowerDVD13 I tried to get my Nero 12 player to play 3D but nothing I tried worked ( It is supposed to play 3D Blu ray ).

That's why I was surprised how easily and quickly I was playing a 3D blu ray shortly after installing PowerDVD13. I put in "LORD OF THE DANCE" which is a 2D/3D (both versions on same side of disc) blu ray and when the menu came up I selected the 3D option and then pressed play on the next screen. It was at this point I was prompted to put on my 3D glasses as my LG set responded to the 3D being fed to it.

I havn't played Tintin 3D in blu ray as I don't have that particular disc. I have watched "MEN IN BLACK 3" in 3D so if you want to be sure the 3D is working like it is supposed to try watching men in black 3 first.

Your Samsung uses active shutter glasses (the type the uses batteries). My LG is PASSIVE 3D (glasses don't use batteries).

I don't really know which system is better BUT I do have to say MEN IN BLACK 3 looks FANTASTIC when played on my LG set via PowerDVD13!
    Last edited by just curious; 9th August 2013 at 19:36.

Ok i will try MIB3 again.

Default I'm watching Men In Black 3 (3D) right now!

Powerdvd13 is playing it in full 3D.

Some movies have much better 3D effects than others.

You should know for SURE it's working if your active shutter 3D is as least as good as passive 3D (I've read that active shutter is "better than passive")

LOTS of 3D jumps out of my screen during Men In Black 3!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast