Thread: Captain Phillips subtitles not visible

Default Captain Phillips subtitles not visible

I tried ripping the DVD of Captain Phillips only to find that the subtitles (displayed on screen when the Somali pirates are speaking to each other in their native tongue) did not come through to the ripped version. I also tried ripping the Blu-Ray disc with the same result. Has anyone else had this problem?

UPDATE: Installing the newest update for AnyDVD HD (version 7.4.2.0) fixed the problem. The forced subtitles are now working. Thanks SlySoft!
    Last edited by DaveC; 24th January 2014 at 07:15.

subtitles always come through. There are no seperate "subtitle files", anydvd rips as is and does not touch subs like that. The problem is your playback software or in case you converted to a mobile format, the converter
    I do NOT work for Slysoft. Please do NOT pm me with problems you may have!

Desktop
    OS: Vista Ultimate X64 || MB: Asus P5Q-E || CPU: Intel Q9550 || CPU Cooler: Asus Triton 79 || RAM: 8GB Corsair XMS2
    GPU: Asus GTX 680 DirectCU II OC 2GB || Monitor: Asus VG278 || HDD: 2x Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB
    Op. Drive 1: LG BH16NS40 || Op. Drive 2: LG BH10LS30 || Op. Drive 3: LG GH20NS10

Home Theatre
    TV: Panasonic TX-P42S20 || Blu-ray Player: Panasonic DMP-BD85 || Sound: 5.1 Surround Logitech Z-5500

There are 2 English subtitle files on Captain Phillips, usually when there are 2, 1 is for the hearing impaired and the second is the forced subtiles (the one you want). I just choose both when you process your ripped file. It does not increase the size much. Make sure you have the subtitles turned on on your player, you might just have to pick the correct one.

The subtitles on the Blu-ray of Captain Phillips are the type where the forced subs are imbedded in the same track as the regular subs. I believe ClownBD is helpful for these type subtitle tracks.

Cool Help ripping captain philips - i

Quote Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
    I tried ripping the DVD of Captain Phillips only to find that the subtitles (displayed on screen when the Somali pirates are speaking to each other in their native tongue) did not come through to the ripped version. I also tried ripping the Blu-Ray disc with the same result. Has anyone else had this problem?

UPDATE: Installing the newest update for AnyDVD HD (version 7.4.2.0) fixed the problem. The forced subtitles are now working. Thanks SlySoft!

I'm a new-bee to the ripping and have spent countless dollars buying software that doesn't work or works but not for all dvd's. I tried ripping captain Philips using Make MKV, AOA DVD Ripper and Data Shrink Blue Ray Converter.

Can someone tell me what the best software is to use on ripping captain Philips and other hard to rip dvd's.

Tnx,

Jake

Quote Originally Posted by probstdog View Post
    I'm a new-bee to the ripping and have spent countless dollars buying software that doesn't work or works but not for all dvd's. I tried ripping captain Philips using Make MKV, AOA DVD Ripper and Data Shrink Blue Ray Converter.

Can someone tell me what the best software is to use on ripping captain Philips and other hard to rip dvd's.

Tnx,

Jake
    I have had tremendous success with AntDVD HD from SlySoft. When you run into any issues ripping a DVD or BluRay disc, the problem is usually fixed with the next release of the software. Captain Phillips was the first DVD in forever that I can remember having problems with. Within two days of my reporting the problem, a new release of AnyDVD HD from SlySoft fixed the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveC View Post

Good to hear

Quote Originally Posted by ScubaDeb View Post
    I am using a DVD from Redbox, but I cannot get the forced captions in English. There are 2 English subtitles -- one for 100% English, and the other for the hearing impaired (so its more verbose). It's weird though that the DVD has the ability to force captions in French. It may just be that Redbox bought the wrong one. I am using the current version of AnyDVD indicated in this thread. I've never had this problem before.

Any thoughts?
    Don't ever say in this forum or any other that you are ripping something from Redbox. That is illegal. It is your disc that you bought and want to backup. Get it?

Quote Originally Posted by ScubaDeb View Post
    I am using a DVD from Redbox, but I cannot get the forced captions in English. There are 2 English subtitles -- one for 100% English, and the other for the hearing impaired (so its more verbose). It's weird though that the DVD has the ability to force captions in French. It may just be that Redbox bought the wrong one. I am using the current version of AnyDVD indicated in this thread. I've never had this problem before.

Any thoughts?
    Captain Phillips is a tricky one.

For some reason, to get forced subtitles of them speaking ???Somalian??? and have the movie not show English subtitles...

I must turn off subtitles and make sure English 2 is entered for XBMC to play the movie correctly. If I change it to subtitles off and English 1, nothing shows up. You would think turning off subtitles would have no effect on what subtitle choice is (not) selected, but that's not the case for me.