Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Country code locked disc

Default Country code locked disc

I have the region A release of Amagami SS+ from Sentai Filmworks, and wish to play it with power dvd14, but because it is set up for a Japanese system the disc will not play and a black screen is displayed saying the disc is intended for US/CA use only and will not play. Anydvd 7.5.8.3 says the disc is region free which means that it should play on my system but will go no further than the warning screen. After some digging into the disc with BDedit040 in the bdmv portion of the disc came across a command line that read ;PSR 19: COUNTRY CODE (B15-B0). Started doing some more digging and came across some uk blu-ray forums saying the company had started something called country code/geo locking of disc to prevent the disc from playback regardless of the fact that Japan and the US share a blu-ray region thus making the disc all but useless to me with my system. Funimation has started doing similar things with disc locking them into US only play or locking subs or audio to only play on systems originating within the US making them fully or partially blocked on systems out side of the US.
    AnyDVD_7.5.8.3_Info_D_AMAGAMI SS+ BD1.ziplog code.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Lupin the Nerd View Post
    I have the region A release of Amagami SS+ from Sentai Filmworks, and wish to play it with power dvd14, but because it is set up for a Japanese system the disc will not play and a black screen is displayed saying the disc is intended for US/CA use only and will not play. Anydvd 7.5.8.3 says the disc is region free which means that it should play on my system but will go no further than the warning screen. After some digging into the disc with BDedit040 in the bdmv portion of the disc came across a command line that read ;PSR 19: COUNTRY CODE (B15-B0). Started doing some more digging and came across some uk blu-ray forums saying the company had started something called country code/geo locking of disc to prevent the disc from playback regardless of the fact that Japan and the US share a blu-ray region thus making the disc all but useless to me with my system. Funimation has started doing similar things with disc locking them into US only play or locking subs or audio to only play on systems originating within the US making them fully or partially blocked on systems out side of the US.
    AnyDVD_7.5.8.3_Info_D_AMAGAMI SS+ BD1.ziplog code.jpg
    They misuse the user's preferred settings, which is a shame.
    I'm not using PowerDVD 14, but with PowerDVD 10 & TMT you can change the default language for disc menu / disc audio & subtitle. Every player should allow you to change this.
    My responses tend to represent myself only and do not necessarily represent the views of SlySoft, Inc. PLEASE POST ALL TECHNICAL PROBLEMS ON THE FORUMS. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    They misuse the user's preferred settings, which is a shame.
    I'm not using PowerDVD 14, but with PowerDVD 10 & TMT you can change the default language for disc menu / disc audio & subtitle. Every player should allow you to change this.
    PowerDVD 14 allows this too. Settings > Blu-ray Disc Settings > Blu-ray Country and Region.

This is separate to the UI language, so the OP should be fine to switch it from Japan to United States for this disc and then back again when finished (won't count as a region change since they share same region)

Never seen anything like this before, it's sad they choose to abuse this setting

True ddj, but as with the DVD region on a drive, pdvd only allows 5 changes on the software bd region. After that it's locked as a drive would be.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk
    I do NOT work for Slysoft. Please DO NOT pm or email me with problems you may have!

Desktop
    OS: Win 7 Ultimate X64 || MB: Asus P5Q-E || CPU: Intel Q9550 || CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 412 Slim || RAM: 8GB Corsair XMS2
    GPU: Asus GTX 680 DirectCU II OC 2GB || Screen: Asus VG278 || HDD: 2x Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB
    Op. Drive 1: LG BH16NS40 || Op. Drive 2: LG BH10LS30 || Op. Drive 3: LG GH20NS10

Home Theatre
    TV: Panasonic TX-P42S20 || Blu-ray Player: Panasonic DMP-BD85 || Sound: Logitech Z-5500

Quote Originally Posted by Ch3vr0n View Post
    True ddj, but as with the DVD region on a drive, pdvd only allows 5 changes on the software bd region. After that it's locked as a drive would be.
    But the U.S. & Japan are both in Region A so it's not a region change for BD. (It is for DVD, but that shouldn't be an issue for most AnyDVD HD users if properly configured, i.e., DVD hardware region is set.) The problem here, of course, is abuse of BD country customization; only region coding is supposed to be used to enforce national restrictions like this.
    Last edited by RBBrittain; 26th February 2015 at 00:09. Reason: Clarify & expand

Quote Originally Posted by RBBrittain View Post
    But the U.S. & Japan are both in Region A so it's not a region change for BD. (It is for DVD, but that shouldn't be an issue for most AnyDVD HD users if properly configured, i.e., DVD hardware region is set.) The problem here, of course, is abuse of BD country customization; only region coding is supposed to be used to enforce national restrictions like this.
    Not all players allow for settings to be changed, so if I take my disc to another country I may or may not be able to use the disc as Sentai is also starting to block out players from the UK when the disc should be region free, so no merely setting it up for one software player is only a work around to the problem and is in no way a solution and only a temporary band aid to a permanent problem. Was only using the software as an example, not everyone who makes backups has access to the same hardware or software. Japan is going to start making this mandatory soon for all US releases for series.

Quote Originally Posted by Lupin the Nerd View Post
    Not all players allow for settings to be changed, so if I take my disc to another country I may or may not be able to use the disc as Sentai is also starting to block out players from the UK when the disc should be region free, so no merely setting it up for one software player is only a work around to the problem and is in no way a solution and only a temporary band aid to a permanent problem. Was only using the software as an example, not everyone who makes backups has access to the same hardware or software. Japan is going to start making this mandatory soon for all US releases for series.
    I think we all agree that restricting playback based on country settings, as opposed to region settings, is a misuse of BD standards; indeed, I believe it would be illegal in the EU due to its "common market" rules (i.e., goods lawfully sold in one EU country generally must be usable in every EU country). Elsewhere it's strictly up to BDA rules, but I seriously doubt any country can make misuse of BD standards "mandatory".

Except for James, all the responses here so far are from fellow users; all we can suggest are workarounds. Only SlySoft can decide whether or not country code removal should be added to AnyDVD HD itself.

Quote Originally Posted by ddjmagic View Post
    PowerDVD 14 allows this too. Settings > Blu-ray Disc Settings > Blu-ray Country and Region.
    That's the region code. Not the user's preferred playback setting. Completely different beasts.

After some searching, I can't find this setting in PowerDVD 14. So, it is even more pathetic than I thought. (Resume a BD disc is still broken, since PowerDVD 13).

I wonder, how a PowerDVD 14 determines the preferred language. Do they always use the UI language? This would be my guess.
    My responses tend to represent myself only and do not necessarily represent the views of SlySoft, Inc. PLEASE POST ALL TECHNICAL PROBLEMS ON THE FORUMS. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    That's the region code. Not the user's preferred playback setting. Completely different beasts.

After some searching, I can't find this setting in PowerDVD 14. So, it is even more pathetic than I thought. (Resume a BD disc is still broken, since PowerDVD 13).

I wonder, how a PowerDVD 14 determines the preferred language. Do they always use the UI language? This would be my guess.
    You're right, thanks for the correction

I think I may have found the setting now in PowerDVD 14:

Settings > General > Use the Scroll bar to scroll down > More Settings > Movie Language > You can then select the Menu/Audio/Subtitle language.

In theory could AnyDVD HD force this like the region code? (if possible?). Perhaps a "force USA country code option" could be added (since it only seems to be US releases that are abusing this)
    Though since most players do allow unlimited preferred language changes, adding any option like this may not be needed/worth it.

You're right, thanks for the correction

I think I may have found the setting now in PowerDVD 14:

Settings > General > Use the Scroll bar to scroll down > More Settings > Movie Language > You can then select the Menu/Audio/Subtitle language.
    Yes! That's it! I really wasn't able to find it!

In theory could AnyDVD HD force this like the region code? (if possible?). Perhaps a "force USA country code option" could be added (since it only seems to be US releases that are abusing this)
    Which one? Menu? Subtitle? Language?
    This isn't really new. I know of one BD disc (A-Team region B?) , which checks the menu language and doesn't offer some audio languages, e.g. if you select menu language English, you don't get audio language German offered in the menu. Probably to scare off Germans from ordering discs in the UK?
    Funny thing, a lot of people complained and returned the disc, because the disc bought in Germany doesn't contain German audio - they had the menu language of their player set to English (probably the factory default). Didn't work out well for the studio (Fox, IIRC).

Though since most players do allow unlimited preferred language changes, adding any option like this may not be needed/worth it.
    It actually should be every player. Think about it. A player sold in the US should at least offer English, French, Spanish. Canada? Or Switzerland... German, French, Italian. Americans living there? People from Japan or China living in the US or Europe? And so on...
    BTW, SD DVDs have the same settings since the very beginning. CloneDVD relies on this setting for default subtitle & audio language, if you copy without menus.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast