Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Liteon Lh-20a1h

Default Liteon Lh-20a1h

Just got this drive today, for my mom. When I plug it in and restart, all DVD drives disappear and do not work. When I plug the old one back in, everything works. Does anyone know what might be going wrong? I also checked in the BIOS and it reports the new drive as unknown. Everything was connected properly too. Does this model require master and slave? The older setup does not use master and slave connections.
    "Cancer can take away all of my physical abilities. It cannot touch my mind, it cannot touch my heart, and it cannot touch my soul. And those three things are going to carry on forever. I thank you and God bless you all." - Jimmy V

desktop: 3.2 GHz P4 w/HT, 80GB SATA HD, 1GB DDR2 RAM, Pioneer 18X DVD +/-RW, Philips 16X DVD +/-RW, 19 inch flat panel LCD display

laptop: 1.73 GHz Pentium dual-core, 80GB SATA HD, 2GB DDR2 RAM, Matshita 5X DVD-RAM, 15.4 inch display, integrated wireless LAN

DetroitBaseball, I've noticed that these days optical drives need to be set as "Master and Slave" (IDE PATA types) to work from the same controller cable. at one time it didn't seem to matter?

I assume you have tried setting it this way? Are they on the same cable? I can't think what else is causing your problem at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitBaseball View Post
    Does this model require master and slave? The older setup does not use master and slave connections.
    How was your "older setup" connected? When two optical drives are connected on one IDE channel of the MOBO, they must be set as Master and Slave or both set to Cable Select.
    I respond to PM and E-Mail requests
    Been to town.........seen the elephant

They had nothing plugged into the master/slave/cable select slot. They used the same cable which branched off into 2 plugs from just one slot in the motherboard. I have no cords that plug into master/slave/select slot.
    "Cancer can take away all of my physical abilities. It cannot touch my mind, it cannot touch my heart, and it cannot touch my soul. And those three things are going to carry on forever. I thank you and God bless you all." - Jimmy V

desktop: 3.2 GHz P4 w/HT, 80GB SATA HD, 1GB DDR2 RAM, Pioneer 18X DVD +/-RW, Philips 16X DVD +/-RW, 19 inch flat panel LCD display

laptop: 1.73 GHz Pentium dual-core, 80GB SATA HD, 2GB DDR2 RAM, Matshita 5X DVD-RAM, 15.4 inch display, integrated wireless LAN

They had nothing plugged into the master/slave/cable select slot. They used the same cable which branched off into 2 plugs from just one slot in the motherboard. I have no cords that plug into master/slave/select slot.
    That is quite odd! I assume this is in a pre-built PC? There are no cords that attach for Master-Slave-Cable Select. They use a small jumper pin. Some drives are set as Master with no jumper but that is on HDD's.

I respond to PM and E-Mail requests
    Been to town.........seen the elephant

Set new ide burner to master. Set old ide optical drive to slave. (Do this with the jumper pins). Use an 80 wire cable.

Blue (sometimes red) end goes into the motherboard; black end goes into your burner. Grey end goes to the slave device. Ensure jumper on the back of the burner is set to "master", and that the jumper on the back of the slave device is set to "slave".
    My responses 1) presume you own the original retail disc you are attempting to backup, 2) tend to represent myself only, and 3) do not necessarily represent the views of SlySoft nor its developers. I do not work for SlySoft.

Please post all technical support questions on the forums instead of private messaging me. Technical support requests sent to me will be ignored. Private message me only for moderation issues, please. Thank you.

Please read the SlySoft Forum Etiquette before posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    Set new ide burner to master. Set old ide optical drive to slave. (Do this with the jumper pins). Use an 80 wire cable.

Blue (sometimes red) end goes into the motherboard; black end goes into your burner. Grey end goes to the slave device. Ensure jumper on the back of the burner is set to "master", and that the jumper on the back of the slave device is set to "slave".
    I got nothing that plugs into the master/slave slot on the back. The first 2 drives came without using master and slave.

I got nothing that plugs into the master/slave slot on the back. The first 2 drives came without using master and slave.
    The new burner should have come with a jumper pin. Is it a SATA burner? If not, go to a computer store and ask to buy two jumper pins. Should be very cheap. Also get an 80 wire ide cable while you're at it (if both drives are ide).
    My responses 1) presume you own the original retail disc you are attempting to backup, 2) tend to represent myself only, and 3) do not necessarily represent the views of SlySoft nor its developers. I do not work for SlySoft.

Please post all technical support questions on the forums instead of private messaging me. Technical support requests sent to me will be ignored. Private message me only for moderation issues, please. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    The new burner should have come with a jumper pin. Is it a SATA burner? If not, go to a computer store and ask to buy two jumper pins. Should be very cheap. Also get an 80 wire ide cable while you're at it (if both drives are ide).
    It is not a SATA burner. I don't understand why we would need jumper pins when I was able to install a new burner in an identical setup with no problems.

It is not a SATA burner. I don't understand why we would need jumper pins when I was able to install a new burner in an identical setup with no problems.
    Yeah, that doesn't make any sense why it worked in the first place. Were you just using one cable last time or two? Regardless, with the new burner you should be using an 80 wire cable--and chances are you do need those two jumper pins (they should be freakishly cheap).

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast