Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: backing up audio books

Default backing up audio books

Does anyone here have any experience backing up audio books? I am using CloneCD and AnyDVD. I am selecting "copy disc" and have tried both "Copy on the Fly" and coping to hard drive and then writing the disc. I am also selecting "Audio CD". AnyDVD indicates everything reads correctly after it scans the disc but most of my backups seem to skip and stutter on the last track of the disc. When I play the original disc there is no problem with tracks. I am currently using TDK media. Is this an encryption problem? I wanted to backup my audiobooks for travel. They are so expensive that I feel better carrying a backup vs the original. Can anyone help?

Quote Originally Posted by mystelite View Post
    I am currently using TDK media.
    That's your problem.

1. Update your burner's firmware (if available)
    http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.ph...4&postcount=10

2. Use good quality media

Maxell Pro CD-Rs (these are Taiyo Yudens with a protective coating)
    Verbatim DatalifePlus CD-Rs
    Taiyo Yuden

3. Try lowering your burn speed slightly

4. Avoid sticker labels (they tend to cause problems)

5. Download Nero cd-dvd speed. It's a free program. Select the tab labeled "scandisc". Insert the problematic backup disc, select the appropriate drive letter, and click "start". If Nero cd-dvd speed reports read errors, your backup is bad (which is the most likely case), your optical drive may be slowly dying, or your optical drive simply doesn't like the disc (or your choice of blank media)--even if the disc looks fine.

Bad burn quality is notorious around the end of poor quality blank media
    My responses 1) presume you own the original retail disc you are attempting to backup, 2) tend to represent myself only, and 3) do not necessarily represent the views of SlySoft nor its developers. I do not work for SlySoft.

Please post all technical support questions on the forums instead of private messaging me. Technical support requests sent to me will be ignored. Private message me only for moderation issues, please. Thank you.

Please read the SlySoft Forum Etiquette before posting.

Thanks I'll check some of this out. I am burning at 6x speed. Usually I burn at half the rated speed of the media I am using but I had lowered it slightly hoping it would help. As far as I know my burner firmware is up to date but I will re-check it. I don't have any labels on my discs at this time. I was playing and checking them before that step. I'll try the nero program and I also have vso inspector. Haven't had an opportunity to check discs in another player or to clean the lens of the ones I have but want to give that a try also.

Thanks I'll check some of this out. I am burning at 6x speed. Usually I burn at half the rated speed of the media I am using but I had lowered it slightly hoping it would help. As far as I know my burner firmware is up to date but I will re-check it. I don't have any labels on my discs at this time. I was playing and checking them before that step. I'll try the nero program and I also have vso inspector. Haven't had an opportunity to check discs in another player or to clean the lens of the ones I have but want to give that a try also.
    Based on what you have written, I would simply switch blank media then. Regular Maxell is easy to find--and should be avoided. The Pros will not be as easy to find (and are very good).

Use

Maxell Pro CD-Rs (these are Taiyo Yudens with a protective coating)
    Verbatim DatalifePlus CD-Rs
    Taiyo Yuden
    My responses 1) presume you own the original retail disc you are attempting to backup, 2) tend to represent myself only, and 3) do not necessarily represent the views of SlySoft nor its developers. I do not work for SlySoft.

Please post all technical support questions on the forums instead of private messaging me. Technical support requests sent to me will be ignored. Private message me only for moderation issues, please. Thank you.

what media is Taiyo Yuden? Is it put out under a different brand name? I have seen it reccommended several times but it is not a media I find in stores. For instance I know that Imation manufactors Office Depot's brand of media (or so they tell me) and of course you can always find Verbatium, Memorex, Imation, Maxell etc. But I have never seen Taiyo Yuden anywhere.

what media is Taiyo Yuden? Is it put out under a different brand name? I have seen it reccommended several times but it is not a media I find in stores. For instance I know that Imation manufactors Office Depot's brand of media (or so they tell me) and of course you can always find Verbatium, Memorex, Imation, Maxell etc. But I have never seen Taiyo Yuden anywhere.
    http://www.supermediastore.com/

Default Doesn't like Verbatim

New one for me at least...It seems that my burner doesn't like Verbatim media. Trying to back up some of my audio books (see earlier posting). My TDK media was skipping on the last 2-3 tracks. Per advice I bought Verbatim media. When I start CloneCd it won't go past "waiting for LITE-ON DVDRW SHM-165P6S MS0R' and then gives the error tone. No problems with other media. Any ideas? I have 200 blank discs and am gonna be really upset if I can't fix this problem.

New one for me at least...It seems that my burner doesn't like Verbatim media. Trying to back up some of my audio books (see earlier posting). My TDK media was skipping on the last 2-3 tracks. Per advice I bought Verbatim media. When I start CloneCd it won't go past "waiting for LITE-ON DVDRW SHM-165P6S MS0R' and then gives the error tone. No problems with other media. Any ideas? I have 200 blank discs and am gonna be really upset if I can't fix this problem.
    What blank media are you using? Specify a) brand name b)type (-R, +R, -RW, +RW, RAM, DL, etc.) c)media code, d) capacity/size, e) batch codes/serial codes (often found printed on the inner plastic hub of the blank disc), and f)country (factory information would be great as well, if possible) where the media was made (look on the physical packaging; do not rely on programs to accurately give you this information).

If you don't know how to obtain media codes, you may find the following programs useful:

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com and http://www.dvdinfopro.com/

1) i. For XP with ide burners
    Click this

Do what it says to do if you have XP and an ide burner/optical drive.

ii. For Vista with ide burners

Go into device manager, and check to ensure you're using standard Microsoft ide busmaster drivers.

Right click on your PCI IDE Bus Master controller, and remove it. Ensure that it also removes the driver for your DVD/CD rom. Reboot. Your system should find hardware. After your system is finished installing hardware, reboot again.

click http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.ph...0&postcount=20 to get a better idea of what I'm asking for if you're using Vista.

2. a) Download imgburn. It's a free program: http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
    (it's also an excellent program imo)

b) Go to Tools > Filter Driver Load Order. Click "Clipboard". Then paste the information you pasted into your clipboard into your next post (ctrl-v).

OR

visit http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.ph...7&postcount=11 (thanks to Zebadee)
    Use one of the programs mentioned, and list your Lowerfilters and Upperfilters in your next post.

Or for XP users only,
    Click Start, Run
    type regedit
    Go to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Current Control Set\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

We want what's listed in "LowerFilters" and "UpperFilters". List your Lowerfilters and Upperfilters in your next post.

Before you do this visit http://www.cdr-zone.com/forum/about4719.html, and read the first post please, so you can get a better understanding of what is going on.

Do not start randomly deleting filters, please.

3. Ensure you're using 5.3.0.5 beta: click http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.ph...27&postcount=1
    Last edited by Webslinger; 7th October 2007 at 21:11.

Webslinger I'm kind of lost with all the info you gave me...I am using Verbatim CD-r...seems to be manufactured in India..I can't seem to locate codes you asked me for..I downloaded and ran DVD identifier and it told me "unsupported media found". Is that because I am having it scan a CD instead of a DVD?..Kind of nervous about proceding with your other suggestions in case I really screw something up. The version of CloneCD that I am running is 5.3.0.1 When I check for an update it tells me I am running the current version but you said something about running 5.3.0.5 beta How do I get that version?
    Last edited by mystelite; 7th October 2007 at 21:55. Reason: added more info