Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Feature request - command line or similar.

this is really awesome to see progress on this. man, convergence is cool!

As long as we are running the latest version of anydvd, we should be ok with th enable-disable function, right?

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    1.) You should use ShellExecute or ShellExecuteEx to start AnyDVD to pass the command line options. This will make sure, that you can start AnyDVD.exe regardless where the user has installed it.
    2.) Even if you use ShellExecuteEx and wait for the started process to finish, there is no 100% guarantee that the command has been executed successfully (people might have an old AnyDVD version not supporting the command line option).
    3.) You should make sure (well, at least try), that there are no open file handles on any optical drives. The reason is, that when AnyDVD is enabled/disabled it changes the sectors on the disc (at least from the system's point of view), so it must inform the filesystem. It does this by doing an unmount/mount operation, but this can only succeed, if no files are open.
    I don't see a problem in any of these - this would be awesome additions!

I look forward to this, and to dusting off a 200 disc bulk loader...

Default AnyTool beta available

AnyTool (what a stupid name) can be downloaded here:

http://sandbox.slysoft.com/AnyTool.zip

It is a very small command line tool, which basically does what you wanted.

Usage:

AnyTool -d
    Disables AnyDVD for all drives
    Will wait for the command to execute
    EDIT: Will timeout after 10 seconds, if it somehow didn't work.

AnyTool -e
    Enables AnyDVD for all drives
    Warning, will return immediately

Should work with all recent AnyDVD & AnyDVD HD versions 6.x
    EDIT: Which is very nice, as you can expect all customers to have a version supported by AnyTool. It might even work with older versions, but I haven't tried or checked or cared or whatever...
    Last edited by James; 6th February 2007 at 18:11.
    My responses tend to represent myself only and do not necessarily represent the views of SlySoft, Inc. PLEASE POST ALL TECHNICAL PROBLEMS ON THE FORUMS. Thank you.

Usage:

AnyTool -d

AnyTool -e

EDIT: Which is very nice, as you can expect all customers to have a version supported by AnyTool. It might even work with older versions, but I haven't tried or checked or cared or whatever...
    Some advice:
    As AnyTool is not distributed with AnyDVD, you can copy it to your program's directory. So you don't need to use ShellExecuteEx, you can use CreateProcess instead, which might be a little more straightforward.
    It is recommended to wait for AnyTool to complete.
    Do this by calling a WaitFor...() function on the AnyTool process handle.
    Again, opening the optical drives (regardless how, SPTI, FileSystem, ...) before using AnyTool is a stupid idea.
    Of course you don't know if a user has files open on the disc, but at least your application shouldn't.
    My responses tend to represent myself only and do not necessarily represent the views of SlySoft, Inc. PLEASE POST ALL TECHNICAL PROBLEMS ON THE FORUMS. Thank you.

Usage:

AnyTool -d

AnyTool -e

AnyTool??? Seriously, James, AnyTool?!?!?!?! ROFLMAO!

Quote Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
    AnyTool??? Seriously, James, AnyTool?!?!?!?! ROFLMAO!
    Sorry, my mind was blocked, couldn't think of a better name...

so any tool can use it?

Quote Originally Posted by iansilv View Post
    so any tool can use it?
    What? AnyTool is the name of it.
    "Cancer can take away all of my physical abilities. It cannot touch my mind, it cannot touch my heart, and it cannot touch my soul. And those three things are going to carry on forever. I thank you and God bless you all." - Jimmy V

desktop: 3.2 GHz P4 w/HT, 80GB SATA HD, 1GB DDR2 RAM, Pioneer 18X DVD +/-RW, Philips 16X DVD +/-RW, 19 inch flat panel LCD display

laptop: 1.73 GHz Pentium dual-core, 80GB SATA HD, 2GB DDR2 RAM, Matshita 5X DVD-RAM, 15.4 inch display, integrated wireless LAN

Quote Originally Posted by iansilv View Post
    so any tool can use it?
    Maybe I should add a disclaimer...

DISCLAIMER:
    AnyTool is a quick hack. It is a kludge. It is a beta. It solves the problem, but it does it with a "hacky" approach, so it works with all recent versions of AnyDVD and the current AnyDVD HD beta.
    Although unlikely, it is possible that it might no longer work with future versions of AnyDVD (HD).
    I intend to update both AnyTool and AnyDVD (HD) so they can communicate better.
    At the moment AnyTool patches AnyDVD's registry settings, so you should not use AnyTool to disable AnyDVD without re-enabling it again, as this might p*ss off the user (AnyDVD would stay disabled even after a reboot).
    In general, I would not recommend to ship the current version of AnyTool with commercial products to users. The current version is for developers to take a look and provide feedback. I would wait for a final mature release before using it with commercial products.