Encoding cuts of first 0.5-1.5 seconds
I've gone through a couple e-mails with the Slysoft tech support team about this a few weeks ago, but haven't heard back about my most recent reply in a bit... so now that these forums are open and Slysoft representatives post here I figured I'd try here; perhaps also see if anyone else has experienced this.
Basically, the problem is this: I'm encoding files for my iPod video (late 2006 model), or what CloneDVD mobile refers to as "5. gen (hires)". Originally, I was encoding the videos at the highest resolution (generally 640xsomething, depending on the original video's aspect ratio) and with the highest quality setting. I'm running the most recent versions of AnyDVD and CloneDVD mobile. I've tried encoding the video through various methods... straight from the original DVD... ripped to the hard drive, alternatively with CloneDVD and DVDShrink and then encoded... and every time, I had the same issue.
Essentially, the encoding seems to cut off the first 0.5-1.5 seconds of the video... I haven't measured it precisely. I'm not even sure whether or not it occurs on every video that I encode, since some of them begin with enough of a black lead-in to make it impossible to tell. Also, sometimes when it does this and the video begins on an actual frame instead of just black, the first frame or two (literally only the very first frame or two) of the video has a slight pixelation which then immediately vanishes and the video plays normally.
The real kicker is that I've since tried the same tests on my grandfather's computer (a newer system than mine), and the same thing occurs... so it's hard for me to believe it's an isolated problem with my system alone. I've also done a clean windows install in the time since first noticing the issue, and took advantage of that to re-test... and it still occurs.
The last e-mail from Slysoft asked me to try encoding the videos with lower quality settings, which I did, and it still occured. I replied back to tell them this, but haven't heard back in about a week; so I decided to try here. Some of the titles I've noticed it on so far have been:
"Jack-Jack Attack" (from 'The Incredibles' 2-disc set, region 1)
"Crazy" music video (from Deluxe Ed. of 'St. Elsewhere' album)
"Luxo Jr." (from 'Toy Story 2', region 1)
As I've said, it may occur on everything and just be difficult to detect on many. I'm also not sure whether or not it occurs when encoding in other formats, for other types of devices than the iPod. Also, around half a second (or even a full second) isn't the kind of thing everyone would notice. However, it does seem to be happening. I'm hoping others will be able to post here if they've noticed this as well (or noticed it after reading this post). And perhaps Slysoft can come up with some kind of resolution.
Intel Core i7 3770K, Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe, Corsair H80 CPU Cooler, 32GB DDR3-1600 Corsair Vengeance, Asus DirectCU II GeForce GTX 670, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Sandisk Extreme 240GB SATA 6.0GB/s SSD, Seagate Barracuda 3TB SATA 6.0GB/s, Asus, BW-12B1ST BD-RE, LG GGC-H20L BD/HD-DVD Combo, Asus DRW-24B1ST DVD±RW