Blocked BD copy playback (Cinavia)

Discussion in 'High Definition Software' started by skypx, Jul 13, 2010.

1. andy o

andy o Well-Known Member

Yeah, I trust you've done your extensive testing. I just got a PS3 finally, but I don't think I've got a way to test this at all. I've never burned a blu-ray disc in my life, I can't, and don't plan to at least in the near future.

2. SamuriHL

SamuriHL Moderator (en)

It's completely unnecessary to burn a disc to test it. As I said, take a Cinavia infected blu-ray, run it through handbrake, and convert it to an MP4 that can be played on the PS3. Stick it on a usb stick or simply stream it via a streaming server and you'll hit it. Quite nicely. :D

3. whurlston

whurlston Well-Known Member

Haven't you heard? All you have to do is remove the chapters and the Cinavia protection in the audio tracks will be ignored. :D :rolleyes:

4. andy o

andy o Well-Known Member

Oh, I was wondering. I have no idea of the PS3's media capabilities beyond blu-ray. I thought it had some 4 GB limit for files though, so I never took it seriously as a movie/video player.

5. VANLUC

VANLUC Member

Excuse me please, I thought a forum was made to help each other by providing reliable, tested and confirmed solutions. I do not disturb you more. Pray that all bluray discs and players do not have this evening new protection in the near future ......... :bowdown:

6. SamuriHL

SamuriHL Moderator (en)

ROFLMAO! Oh, right, I completely forgot. :disagree: :p

7. SamuriHL

SamuriHL Moderator (en)

The 4gig limit corresponds to having to use fat file system on usb keys and external hard drives. You can stream media larger than that to it. And it has a gigabit ethernet port so it's actually possible to do so. If you want to backup BD's, you can use AVCHD which will break m2ts files into 1 gig chunks so that you can stick it on a fat formatted hard drive or usb key. It's actually not a bad little media device. I just wish it would support MKV.

8. SamuriHL

SamuriHL Moderator (en)

This particular thread is all things Cinavia, including wild speculation and rumors on how to defeat it. We've seen absolutely no hard evidence on how to beat it yet. Even the so called "tricks" that have been posted for the PS3 (play it with stereo, disconnect it from the internet, etc) wouldn't actually defeat Cinavia even if they did work. That would just be finding a weakness in one player's implementation of it and as such isn't a long term solution. SlySoft's stated position (see posts made by James in this thread) is that they are looking at it and are determined to remove it. However, that being said, don't expect Cinavia removal to happen in AnyDVD. It will likely require remastering which is the job of the upcoming CloneBD program that SlySoft is currently working on. There is no release date for CloneBD nor do we know if Cinavia removal is scheduled for the initial release even when it does come out. But rest assured, SlySoft is looking into it. This thread does not represent those efforts. This is just a place for people to discuss all things Cinavia...including wild speculation. :)

9. andy o

andy o Well-Known Member

I think it's helpful to post rumors and "fixes" cause then we can debunk them :D

In fact, it's gonna be a happy day when we skeptics are proven wrong!

10. SamuriHL

SamuriHL Moderator (en)

Sure, absolutely. It's also nice to know what new titles, players, etc come out that support Cinavia. It's going to be a really SAD day when the software players are updated to detect it. Still don't know when that's going to happen, but, rest assured, it's going to. Always have a backup plan. (hahaha)

11. PrincipalityFusion

PrincipalityFusion Well-Known Member

Actually no. A forum is where users get together and discuss topics of interest and issues of trouble. Most times, solutions coalesce from the back and forth. Other times, the discussion turns into speculation about the latest HTPC threat. The forum is really somewhat of a free spirit type of thing where the mods try to keep the chaos under control. It all works out in the end and people generally learn a lot (if they are willing to read a little) and take part in lively discussion as well.

What you are referring to is Slysoft Support/Customer service that is much more formal and a lot less speculation.

12. andy o

andy o Well-Known Member

Well me, I'm 100% unaffected by Cinavia. I'm here just cause I'm curious and annoying like that :D

13. SamuriHL

SamuriHL Moderator (en)

I'm also 100% unaffected, but, I know there are many people who are affected and I like to keep up on the latest and greatest so I know what to tell people. Generally speaking, if they are affected with a cinavia player, what I tell them is "yup, if your disc has cinavia on it, you are in fact screwed." But at least they know. :D

14. PrincipalityFusion

Thank goodness for open source/unlicensed players then. They are the saving grace of the HTPC/ Home Movie Server crowd.

On the day that PowerDVD and TMT switch over to detecting Cinavia, I hope Slysoft servers are ready for the onslaught of people who will be downloading their free player.

Please, oh, please Slysoft support MKV out the gate:bowdown:

15. SamuriHL

SamuriHL Moderator (en)

Yup, this is why I have MPC-HC/ffdshow/haali set up. So I don't have to worry about this crap. Make an MKV with PGS subs and HD audio and I'm good to go. However, that doesn't help the hardware guys and gals out there who want to burn backups or stream them. As Cinavia becomes more popular, more and more people are going to be affected. I for one can't wait for SlyPlayer and CloneBD.

16. PrincipalityFusion

Maybe Slysoft could do something like partner with one of the media box makers (Patriot for example) and put their SlyPlayer on that box.

Of course, they couldn't bundle it with AnyDVDHD, but I see no reason why just the player couldn't be included. It might be a nice little revenue stream for Slysoft and also an alternative for those people who are hardware users.

Get an external Bluray drive, connect it to a media box with Slyplayer included and you are good to go.

Come to think of it, hardware users can do something like that now (sans Slyplayer of course). Maybe it's time for the hardware folks who rely on backups to jump into the HTPC world a little bit:D

17. mike20021969

mike20021969 Well-Known Member

Is there a progress report from SlySoft in their quest to defeat Cinavia?
    Or is it turning out to be a right pain to conquer...?

18. SamuriHL

SamuriHL Moderator (en)

They've not commented on their Cinavia efforts. So no idea on that one.

19. nicksc11

nicksc11 New Member

My PS3 has the Cinavia protection. I'm thinking of getting a WDTV. Has Cinavia hit the WDTV yet?

20. PrincipalityFusion

No, but if the model you buy is licensed to play AACS material, then at some point it will include Cinavia.