Blu-ray Region

Discussion in 'AnyDVD HD (Blu-ray)' started by jaja714, Jun 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaja714

jaja714 Well-Known Member

I used PowerDVD7 for months and never had a problem. I installed WinDVD (for enhanced audio) and now I'm getting "Mismatch between disc and player region codes" errors from WinDVD.

Using my Reservoir Dogs ISO as an example, AnyDVD shows this:

Code:
    Summary for drive L: (AnyDVD 6.5.5.9)
    ELBY CLONEDRIVE 1.4 
    Drive (Hardware) Region: 1
    Media is a Blu-Ray disc.
    Total size: 11414464 sectors (22293 MBytes)
    Video Blu-ray label: 22519413_RESERVOIR_DOGS
    Media is not AACS protected.
    Determined region(s): A
    Blu-ray disc Region set to A!
    Blu-ray standard region lock adjusted to Region A!
    When WinDVD couldn't play this ISO, I checked WinDVD settings and WinDVD was not set to a region. Thinking this was the problem, I set the region to A using 1 of my 5 allowed changes. Reservoir Dogs still will not play in WinDVD because of the same region code mismatch ... even thoug they are both obviously set to A.

2. jaja714

Just to show how weird this is, I tried Slumdog Millionaire and it plays even though the WinDVD settings are still region A and AnyDVD shows the ISO to be region A as well. AnyDVD shows Slumdog Millionaire ISO to be the same as Reservoir Dogs.

Code:
    ELBY CLONEDRIVE 1.4 
    Media is a Blu-Ray disc.
    Total size: 19170752 sectors (37442 MBytes)
    Video Blu-ray label: SLUMDOG_MILLIONAIRE
    Can't determine region code!
    Blu-ray disc Region set to A!
    Blu-ray Java signatures fixed!

3. Adbear

Adbear Well-Known Member

On the first one AnyDVD detects it as Region A, on the second one it can't detect the region, so they're not the same. I suspect the second one is region free and AnyDVD HD just states it setting it to region A. I've always found AnyDVD HD to be a bit unreliable when running with unprotected ISO's which is why it's recommended to either make protected ISO's so AnyDVD HD can work properly or if you are going to make unprotected ones remove all the region coding etc when making the ISO and disable the virtual drive in AnyDVD HD so it doesn't try to mess with the unprotected ISO

4. jaja714

All of my Blu-Ray ISOs all play with PowerDVD 7 just fine with no region problems ... I was under the impression that as long as AnyDVD was running I would be able to play all these ISOs period. At least that is the warning AnyDVD pops up everytime I rip.

The problem with PDVD7 was that it only supported 2 channel audio. So I upgraded to PDVD9 but playback stuttered constantly. Cyberlink refused support but did offer a refund.

So then I turned to WinDVD but Blu-Ray playback is usually blocked by region code. Even when the region code is not a problm, WinDVD usually crashes or freezes with Blu-Ray. Corel's stance is that they officially do not support Blu-Ray.

1. Where can I go to get support for PDVD9 Blu-Ray?
    2. Where can I go to get support for WinDVD Blu-Ray?
    3. When is Sly/Any Player going to be available?
    4. Is there another more reliable DVD / Blu-Ray ISO player?

5. mike_r

mike_r Moderator (de)

You can rip to hard drive or ISO with AnyDVD and playback with a standalone jukebox (WD HD TV, TVIX, Popcorn Hour or Dune-HD) from about 80 euros.

Or you could make a movie only ISO which might (or might not) help you to play with PowerDVD in the meantime.

6. jaja714

I used AnyDVD to rip Blu-Rays to ISOs. I didn't change any of the defaults. I just clicked "Rip to Image" and then "Copy DVD". Done. Sometimes, AnyDVD asks me region code questions and sometimes it doesn't. When I'm prompted, I say Region A. When I'm not prompted, I have no idea what AnyDVD is doing. I have no idea what "Keep protection" means and I never clicked or unclicked it.

Let's not get off topic. People can chime in until they are blue in the face telling me how to rip ISOs but the ISOs are already ripped. So let's solve that problem. My ISOs work just fine with PowerDVD7. How do I get them to play in WinDVD9?

7. James

James SlySoft Development Team Staff Member

Does it work if you disable region code removal in AnyDVD settings?

8. jaja714

I hope you are not talking about ripping ISOs. Remember ... the ISOs are already ripped and play just fine in PDVD7. Let's focus on playing them in WinDVD9.

9. damnskippy

damnskippy Well-Known Member

So you have a problem and one of the developers asks a trouble shooting question and you brush him off?

10. jaja714

Play ISOs with WinDVD9

I'm not brushing anyone off who can help me "Play ISOs with WinDVD9". I'm only brushing off people trying to tell me how to rip ISOs. Since I'm not sure which direction James was trying to steer this topic in, I was simply attempting to clarify. If James was talking about adjusting AnyDVD settings to help me "Play ISOs with WinDVD9" ... I'm all ears. However, I suspected otherwise.

I'm trying to "Play ISOs with WinDVD9" but people keep telling me how to rip ISOs. Look, they are already ripped and I do not want to rip them again as it would take me over 40 hours. I verified when I ripped them the first time that they play fine in PDVD7. I just want to play them in WinDVD9 because WinDVD9 supports more than 2-channel audio. Also, nothing upconverts DVD better than WinDVD9.

Again, does anyone know why I get region mismatches in WinDVD9 but not PDVD7? I would love to ask Corel but they will not officially support Blu-Ray even though they charge $99 for just such that ability.

I know everyone is trying to help but ... PLEASE ... post only if you are helping me "Play ISOs with WinDVD9".

11. Adbear

Adbear Well-Known Member

It would seem to me that James was trying to find out if it was something to do with how the region code is removed in you unprotected ISO's which is why he asked if it works with ISO's with region code left in. Just because they work in PDVD 7 is no reason to think they'll work in any other playback software. There used to be many problems just between different versions of PDVD. Some would work in 7.3 and not in 8 and vice versa. I'd recommend at least trying the advice of one of the developers so they can narrow down the problem. You only need to try 1 disc so it's not going to take you 40 hours to do that.
    Also, you make a claim that PDVD 7 only supported 2 channels, the only version that did this was the OEM version and if you got hold of the last update for the full version (5105) it works with the OEM and gives you full channels, failing that use the PDVD ultra update for Samsung which also gives 6 channel audio

12. jaja714

Why would AnyDVD do something which could eventually render a 50 gig ISO unplayable? Remember, I never explicitly checked or unchecked anything in AnyDVD. When I was prompted, I clicked Region A. Other than that, I simply went with AnyDVD defaults. As a method of verification, I made sure each Blu-Ray ISO played in PDVD7 (all I had at the time) before putting it back on the shelf.

Look, I posted in these forums before about the region prompts I was getting in AnyDVD and, like here, I was treated as if I was the problem. I don't know why I was prompted for region code for some discs and not for others. I live in America and all my disks are from America. My drives, software, ISOs ... everything ... should be set to region A and I should ever be prompted for a region code ... ever.

I'm not running AnyDVD "beta". I'm using the paid version which should not be changing ISO regions codes without my authorization. I don't plan on watching American DVDs in Senegal and I don't plan on going to Uruguay to watch Russian Blu-Rays. I just want to sit in NJ and watch Goodfellas without region mismatches.

13. Adbear

Adbear Well-Known Member

Actually having gone back and read James comment he's not asking you to make new ISO's just to make sure that 'Remove region code' is unticked when you mount the ISO's. Have you tried this? or try disabling the virtual drive in AnyDVD HD so it doesn't try to do anything with the mounted ISO's, or you could even try turning of AnyDVD HD completely and then mount them, if they still don't work then try going back to an original disc and try playing that with AnyDVD HD running but with remove region code unticked and see if it works.
    Having gone back and read the thread about region code prompts there was one reply which told you exactly why it does this, because AnyDVD HD can't always determine the code so it has to ask you. No one implied in that thread that you were the problem, the just told you the reason why it happens and what you have to do

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  14. DrinkLyeAndDie

DrinkLyeAndDie Moderator (en)

jaja714, if a developer recommends that you do something or asks you to then they have done so for a reason. Just do it.

Your behavior is grating on the nerves of a number of people. I suggest you start doing as asked. :policeman:

15. jaja714

DrinkLyeAndDye, James made a suggestion but he never said whether or not he was referring to re-ripping or mounting. I was under the impression that AnyDVD was for ripping only and that VirtualCloneDrive was for mounting. Thus, I assumed James was asking me to rerip. I've been trying ever since to clarify his statements to no avail as he has not responded.

16. jaja714

Adbear, thank you for interpretting James statement. While AnyDVD is always running on my computer, I had no idea it was involved in mounting ISOs. I thought VirtualCloneDrive was for that.

Now, I checked "AnyDVD->Settings...->Video Blu-ray" and "Remove Blu-ray Region Code" is unchecked. I have never adjusted this setting so, if it is unchecked now, it always has been.

So, with AnyDVD running "as-is", I used VCD to mount my "Across The Universe" ISO. This ISO plays just fine in WinDVD9.

Code:
    ELBY CLONEDRIVE 1.4 
    Media is a Blu-Ray disc.
    Total size: 23647744 sectors (46187 MBytes)
    Video Blu-ray label: ACROSSTHEUNIVERSE
    Again, with AnyDVD running "as-is", I used VCD to mount my "Benjamin Button" ISO. This ISO gives me a region code mismatch in WinDVD9.

Code:
    ELBY CLONEDRIVE 1.4 
    Media is a Blu-Ray disc.
    Total size: 23692576 sectors (46274 MBytes)
    Video Blu-ray label: BENJAMIN_BUTTON_DISC1

17. Adbear

Adbear Well-Known Member

Did you try disabling AnyDVD HD for the virtual drive or shutting it down completely like I suggested?

18. jaja714

Ok, now that I know that AnyDVD region setting is for mounting and not ripping, I played around with some settings.

I now have "Remove Blu-ray Region Code" checked off and I also have "Region A" checked off under that. Now, all ISOS that I mount show a status of "Set to Region A!". Because this matches the setting inside WinDVD9, all my ISOs now play.

Before today, I didn't want to muck with this setting because I didn't know what it did. Further, I thought it was a setting used to rip disks when, in actuality, these are setting used to mount them.

The credit here goes to Adbear as he clarified James' statment leading me to the realization that AnyDVD region settings were for mounting and not ripping.

There should be a sticky for each possible player people might be using. For the WinDVD9 sticky, people should be reminded that WinDVD9 has it's own internal Blu-Ray region setting and AnyDVD's mount setting always needs to match the setting assigned by WinDVD9.

Also, AnyDVD Settings tabs should be modified somehow to let people know whether a setting is for ripping or for mounting. So, "Remove Region Code" (which sounds like a ripping setting) should really say "Assign Region A when mounting ISOs".

19. Webslinger

Webslinger Retired Moderator

No. It's for both. It's a setting that also affects when you use the original disc with Anydvd running in the background. And the next time you ignore a developer, I recommend everyone else do likewise to you in return. Act disrespectful towards a developer here again, and you will find yourself unwelcome quickly. Same goes for you not posting log files using original discs. :policeman:

Access to the Slysoft support forums is a privilege and not a right. You do not dictate how help is given here. If you don't like the manner in which help is given, then either contact Slysoft directly or find somewhere else to post. :policeman:

No. Issues that arise are more than player dependent; they are also disc dependent. You do not dictate forum policy here.

20. Adbear

Adbear Well-Known Member

No the settings are used whether for ripping or for mounting. If you've made unprotected ISO's then the best thing to do is just to disable the virtual drive in AnyDVD HD. That's what I do, that way AnyDVD HD works fine for real discs from the physical drive, and completely ignores any ISO's mounted in the virtual drive

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.