Catalyst 8.12 and AnyDVD HD

Discussion in 'High Definition Software' started by ciday, Jan 11, 2009.

1. ciday

ciday New Member

I'm sure a lot of people have mentioned this already but I wanted to confirm that it isn't just my computer setup.

Anyway, I recently tried to update my ATI Catalyst drivers to version 8.12, the latest as far as I can see. However when I tried playing any bluray disc, they wouldn't work. All I get is a black screen. I can hear the sound OK and I might see the non-animated parts of the menu of the disc, but that is about it. At the time I had AnyDVD HD 6.5.1.0 installed (Since updated). I had to roll back the drivers to Catalyst 8.8 before I got a picture from a bluray title again. The software I'm using is PowerDVD 7.3 that came bundled with my LG GGW-H20L Bluray drive. I haven't tried updating Catalyst since.

Basically, I'm asking if anyone has encountered problems trying to playback bluray discs with the latest version of the Catalyst drivers and if there is any known workarounds or if this is going to be fixed?

2. mike_r

mike_r Moderator (de)

I'm using:

vista-sp1 x64 & 8.12 with pcie - dual dvi
    vista-sp1 x32 & 8.12 with agp - single dvi
    xp-sp3 & 8.12 with agp - vga & hdtv.

all machines with powerdvd 8.2217u and no problems at all (powerdvd doesn't display on the hdtv if the window is not located the, contrary to the ati setup).

3. Adbear

Adbear Well-Known Member

Under XP I've had no end of problems with later builds of the ATI drivers so I don't use the latest ones, even when I rolled back to stop the black screen problems certain VC-1 movies would still blu-screen the system until I went back to 8.5.
    This has nothing to do with AnyDVD HD as it also happens using original discs with out AnyDVD HD installed

4. ciday

ciday New Member

So basically the problem lies with ATI then? If I decide to upgrade my graphics card, is this going to be a problem?

5. mike_r

mike_r Moderator (de)

I'm not so sure that the problem lies with ATI generally, or a batch of ATI chips, or the way the other components interact with the GPU. I've got (in different machines) pcie HD2700, agp AH3650, agp HD3650, agp HD3850 & pcie HD4750x2 and never experienced such problems. i also have only ever done a complete new OS installation on change of gfx card, so wouldn't like to rule out artifacts.

6. Webslinger

Webslinger Retired Moderator

You may need to update Powerdvd. I'm having no issues under XP nor Vista with Cats 8.12

7. Adbear

Adbear Well-Known Member

I tend to have problems with certain VC-1 titles (pale rider is one of them) on later versions of ATI drivers it always causes a blue-screen, have tried on 2600, 3650, 3850 and 4670 under Vista and XP. As soon as I roll back to earlier drivers the blue-screening stops

8. Webslinger

While the issue you're experiencing may be related, I note that ciday's computer isn't crashing. Regardless, it would probably be beneficial for ciday to update Powerdvd and post an Anydvd .zip log file.

I do not have Pale Rider to test with, but the HD-DVD of 12 Monkeys isn't crashing my system(s).

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  9. Adbear

Adbear Well-Known Member

But like I said I was also getting black screens using the latest drivers

10. Webslinger

Without the Anydvd .zip log files, we're just playing in the dark. ciday may not be using a VC-1 title, and black screens can also occur depending on the disc used and Anydvd HD settings. Powerdvd versions may also be another culprit. Problematic filters may be present on the system. We have no idea what OS ciday is using. There are too many variables.

11. Adbear

Adbear Well-Known Member

I didn't have AnyDVD HD installed and was using original discs when I got the black screens even using the latest OEM builds of PDVD on clean systems. He did ask if anyone else had had the same problems so I was just answering that I have had and my only solution was to roll back to earlier drivers

12. Webslinger

I understand. I'm just saying that, as always, Anydvd zip log files should be posted in order for others to help troubleshoot. The problem could be, as you said, the Catalyst drivers. ciday's problem could be any number of things. Anydvd .zip log files help.

@ciday,

a) Ensure Anydvd is running.
    b) Put the problematic original disc in your optical drive/reader. Wait for Anydvd to scan the disc.
    c) Right click the red fox icon on your toolbar.
    d) Select "Create Logfile"
    e) Wait for Anydvd to create a log file.
    f) A pop-up screen will appear. Take note of the location where Anydvd created the logfile and the logfile's name. Click "ok".
    g) Windows Explorer will open, and you will see a zip file called "Anydvd_Info_titleofmydisc.zip" (or something similar; see step f)
    h) When replying or posting in the Slysoft forums, look for the icon that looks like [​IMG] (in other words, look for the paperclip after clicking "quote" or when creating a new thread)
    i) If you don't see that paperclip icon, click the "go advanced" button. You should see that icon now. Click the paperclip.
    j) A small pop-up screen should appear (if it doesn't please ensure your browser is enabled to allow pop-ups from the Slysoft forums)
    k) Click the "Browse" button, and locate and select the .zip file you created.
    l) click "upload"
    m) Close the window. When you submit reply, or submit a new thread, the .zip file will be attached automatically for us to take a look at

13. ciday

ciday New Member

I guess I should give more info on what I'm using.

My OS is Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit with SP1 installed.
    My ATI graphics card is a fairly old but still reliable Radeon X1900 (Not sure of the subtype i.e. if it is a XT or XTX or Pro or whatever).
    The PC is a custom built rig that uses a Pentium Extreme Edition 3.46GHz and the drive is an LG GGW-H20L.

I'm loathe to update the Catalyst drivers again as it took up a while to roll them back just to play bluray discs. However if I get the chance I might try to get a log for a disc if it helps.

14. DrinkLyeAndDie

DrinkLyeAndDie Moderator (en)

Let me ask a question here because I am really curious. When you say you just see a black screen do you mean the video player is simply black and there is audio or do you mean you lose the signal to your monitor and there is no picture at all. Do you have to reboot/reset your system to get back the picture?

This started happening to me out of nowhere with Arcsoft TMT and I cannot seem to resolve it. If you are having the same issue then I may try dropping way back in the Catalysts and do some experimenting. This problem had me pulling my hair out between thinking it may be hardware or the load order of different video decoders among other things.

15. Webslinger

Yes

@ciday,

a) Ensure Anydvd is running.
    b) Put the problematic original disc in your optical drive/reader. Wait for Anydvd to scan the disc.
    c) Right click the red fox icon on your toolbar.
    d) Select "Create Logfile"
    e) Wait for Anydvd to create a log file.
    f) A pop-up screen will appear. Take note of the location where Anydvd created the logfile and the logfile's name. Click "ok".
    g) Windows Explorer will open, and you will see a zip file called "Anydvd_Info_titleofmydisc.zip" (or something similar; see step f)
    h) When replying or posting in the Slysoft forums, look for the icon that looks like [​IMG] (in other words, look for the paperclip after clicking "quote" or when creating a new thread)
    i) If you don't see that paperclip icon, click the "go advanced" button. You should see that icon now. Click the paperclip.
    j) A small pop-up screen should appear (if it doesn't please ensure your browser is enabled to allow pop-ups from the Slysoft forums)
    k) Click the "Browse" button, and locate and select the .zip file you created.
    l) click "upload"
    m) Close the window. When you submit reply, or submit a new thread, the .zip file will be attached automatically for us to take a look at

16. ciday

ciday New Member

The former, as in the video player window is black but I can hear audio. Dropping back several Catalyst versions fixes things. Heck, even Windows own generic drivers can happily allow Bluray playback.

17. thedatman

thedatman Well-Known Member

I had this exact problem and rolled back to the last driver I had saved 8.2 and all worked again. I'm afraid to update my drivers. At the same time I upgrades to 8.12 something went whacky with my audio driver and ended up having to reinstall them again but not before I spent days trying to figure out what was wrong.

do any of these driver updates offer improved video quality?

18. Cmnore

Cmnore Well-Known Member

Most of these driver updates are for newer hardware, and/or 3D Gaming bug-fixes.

19. TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron Well-Known Member

I posted a thread about this the other day:

http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=26531

I'm having pretty much the same problem... I don't think it has anything to do with AnyDVD, though, as it happens whether AnyDVD is on or off. I can also hear the audio, and see the text portions of the menus; but no video shows up. I'm using a Sapphire ATI Radeon X1950 Pro, Vista x64, PowerDVD 7.3 (Build 4407 6CH update, for LG drives).

Going back to Catalyst 8.9 fixed the issue for me.

20. sparkym5

sparkym5 Well-Known Member