Cinavia, Feb, 1, 2012 and forwards

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by fast eddie, Dec 4, 2011.

1. SamuriHL

SamuriHL Moderator (en)

I don't get why people are shocked by this. It's a commercial, LICENSED player. It will be required, just as Corel and ArcSoft will be, to follow the stipulations of their license agreement. Since the title of this thread is that all licensed players sold after Feb 2012 are required to contain Cinavia, well, it doesn't take a genius to figure this one out. :) Just because it's a software player doesn't give it special non-compliance rights. :D The PS3 is a software player, technically, too.
  2. omegaman7

omegaman7 Well-Known Member

Very logical. And yet I still laugh about it... ;)
  3. SamuriHL

SamuriHL Moderator (en)

You may laugh. Right up to the point where original discs won't play in these stupid players with AnyDVD enabled. :( That's my biggest irritation if they add this crap into software players.
  4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Well-Known Member

Irritating is an understatement. But, we continue to adapt. ;)
  5. SamuriHL

SamuriHL Moderator (en)

Yes, absolutely. For instance, we keep zip backups of the player that doesn't contain Cinavia. :D Or we use players that aren't licensed by the AACSLA and thus don't contain Cinavia. But eventually, the commercial software players WILL end up with it. So, my point was, get yourself situated so that you can still play your movies when that day comes.
  6. I already have a WD live media player that I will not update, but I'm just trying to have as many Cinavia free media files as possible. If I can import another region disc and have a Cinavia free file, I'd rather do that.
  7. SamuriHL

SamuriHL Moderator (en)

I think you're confusing the DVD concept of region (done in hardware) with the blu-ray concept of region (done in the player software). AnyDVD can remove region coding from either of those, so, not a big deal there. But for Blu-ray it has nothing to do with your drive. It has everything to do with the player. So AnyDVD can fool the player into thinking the disc is playable in all regions. In any case, if that helps you with your Cinavia hunting, great. But just understand that the studios know this and are generally not releasing it without Cinavia in any region if they choose to use it. Mainly because it makes the protection useless because people will just get a clean audio track from another region and mux it into a backup of their own. So I'd not rely on this method. It might work for a few titles, but, it's certainly not going to continue to work going forward.
  8. That answers my question, thanks. I plan on getting the region B (UK) release of Drive since it doesn't have Cinavia. Just trying to avoid Cinavia whenever I can.
  9. SamuriHL

SamuriHL Moderator (en)

Completely understandable. Take some of the other strategies for Cinavia avoidance in this thread seriously, as well.
  10. davinleeds

davinleeds Well-Known Member

So my JRiver will move to the top?
  11. SamuriHL

SamuriHL Moderator (en)

It has for me for months now. :)
  12. Pelvis Popcan

Pelvis Popcan Well-Known Member

So did it get enforced? :p
  13. SamuriHL

SamuriHL Moderator (en)

Go buy a player and let us know. :D

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
  14. James

James SlySoft Development Team Staff Member

XBMC rulez! ;)
  15. SamuriHL

SamuriHL Moderator (en)

Indeed. I can't argue against that now that madVR is working in it. But I still prefer a DShow player. ;) Hard to beat those LAV filters! :)
  16. andy o

andy o Well-Known Member

I have a problem with their underhanded, cynical tactic though. Of all three, CL has the worst track record with this kind of behavior.
  17. SamuriHL

SamuriHL Moderator (en)

They have certainly bent to the will of the AACSLA more than the others. At the risk of sounding like a defender which I am not, they don't have much of a choice. Their market share of PC software players is larger than anyone else, and that makes them a bigger target. So yes, CL has sucky support, a penchant for breaking promises, and isn't the most consumer friendly company, but, in the end they don't really have any choice when the AACSLA says to jump. Just like Oppo. Just like ANY company that has a license agreement with them. Put the blame where it belongs. :)
  18. RClark

RClark Well-Known Member

I still think James is holding out on us with this cinavia thing. Just like with Blu-ray where they sat on the side lines not wanting to reveal what they had until it was too late for the AACSLA to do much about it.

Not until cinavia is more main stream and included on many more disc will the sly fox reveal his hand. Once its included in software players it game over for sure.
  19. SamuriHL

SamuriHL Moderator (en)

Right, just like BD+ that can't adapt. Oh, wait, no. Cinavia can also adapt. So, that theory doesn't hold true, unfortunately.
  20. zero7404

zero7404 Well-Known Member

is it not true that its mandatory from feb.2012 ONLY for new players, ie, players that will be marketed as new models starting now ?

why are manufacturers baking the detectors into firmware for existing hardware (pre-2/12) ?

if im reading this right, cyberlink is adding the detector to their software ? thats pc territory, so its sounding to me that this will spread like the black plauge soon.

i read in the link below that the technology actually can included 'smeared' coded noise analogous to a bar code (thats my understanding of it) ....

its a good read about the whole technology, enjoy.

sent via android