CloneDVD / AnyDVD for MAC

Discussion in 'CloneDVD' started by Rodster, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Rodster

Rodster Well-Known Member

Hi all

I did a search but couldnt find the answer. I asked Slysoft if / when a MAC version of CloneDVD / AnyDVD would ever be released, and I remember a reply mentioning the file system / drivers for MAC are a real PIA (pain in the ass). Could someone from the team please reiterate the reason these applications cannot be released on MAC and the technical issues with MAC and these applications.

Whats an equivalent on the MAC system?

Rodney

2. Charlie

Charlie Well-Known Member

No read more here.

Discussions about AnyDVD being released for Mac or Linux are not new:

http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=2349
    http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=12442
    http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=5205
    http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=4447
    http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=674
    http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=788
    http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=164

3. Rodster

Hi Charlie

Thanks for the links - I was just trying to get the direct full answer in a succinct form regarding the open source / closed source issues and the Kernel. Is MAC open or closed source? Whats Windows ?

Rodney

4. Charlie

Charlie Well-Known Member

It would be best if a mod or slysoft state this as I have no idea to be honest.

5. Rodster

Hi

Ignore last post, found the info. One more question is there a MAC equivalent to these programmes for the MAC format?

6. James

James SlySoft Development Team Staff Member

Sorry to disappoint, but no. OTOH we're now seriously considering OS-X versions of our programs. At least CloneDVD for mac was done in the past for the Japanese market, but from what I recall, was a commercial failure.
    But don't hold your breath, it'll take quite some time until we get there.

7. Rodster

Hi James

Thanks for the reply. All good things come to those who wait. From what I can gather this issue is that the AnyDVD / CloneDVD drivers cannot load into the Kernal on MAC, is this correct (unlike on Windows)? And this is whats causing the incompatibility issue (besides the linux based OS) with the MAC?

BTW - Congrats on cracking BD+. Makes you wonder why they even bother with copy protection - if its man made it can be made cracked.

8. James

The AnyDVD driver needs to be rewritten from scratch, but this is certainly possible for OS-X.
    Linux is a problem because of the GPL licensing of the Kernel, and the requirement, that *linking something against the kernel* requires it to be licensed under GPL, too.
    So AnyDVD for Linux is a no-go. FreeBSD / NetBSD wouldn't be a problem.

9. James

As people have a tendency to misunderstand what I say (this could well be my inability to express myself properly ;) ) just some clarification:

A 1:1 portation of AnyDVD for Linux is not possible because of GPL requirements.
    Of course, sitting on Antigua I could simply show the finger and say "sue me!". But we are not like some other companies who use GPL code without licensing. I could tell names, but it's not my business. If the authors of the abused GPL code don't care, why should I.

A "ripping application" (similar to DVDDecrypter) which removes AACS and BD+ is no problem, as it doesn't require a kernel driver. We might consider doing such a program. But this is something completely different, and it won't be AnyDVD.

10. sej7278

sej7278 Well-Known Member

i'm not so sure about that, the legalise for linking against the kernel is a bit complicated, but i think a binary-blob or kernel module would be ok, as long as you're not distributing part of the kernel too (like vmware, ati, nvidia, wifi manufacturers etc.)

yes a userland application might be the easiest route - of course that's fine for ripping, but not realtime playback, although playing back hddvd/bluray on linux is not easy - better to rip and recode to h264 using mencoder anyway.

support can also be an issue, but most commercial vendors support apt-based (debian, ubuntu) and rpm-based (redhat, fedora, suse, mandriva etc.) without too much hassle, really its just two distribution types.

i really wish you would do it. you've got one guaranteed customer at least :rock:

11. James

Ripping is lame.... anybody can do this. ;) Best would be to recode / remux directly from the source disc, but won't happen on Linux (at least not with AnyDVD. FreeBSD/NetBSD should be possible because of different licensing, but I'm not complaining. If the Linux people want it this way, they'll get it).

12. Asterix

Asterix New Member

OK so it's been over a year and I just purchased an Intel iMac and would love to use AnyDVD and CloneDVD on it. I don't want to install Windows on my mac and was hoping that there would be a mac version by now. Any news? Or am I going to still have to use my PC (yuck) for AnyDVD?

13. Webslinger

Webslinger Retired Moderator

Anydvd certainly will not be ported.

It's possible that a non-driver based program will eventually be developed.

14. vroem

vroem New Member

If you just want to mount a normal DVD as an on-the-fly decrypted disk, without any options, you can use FairMount.

It's open source and it's also somewhat hidden: it's included in the dmg of DVDRemaster, a commercial application. You will also need VLC since it uses that program to do the decryption, effectively leaving the legal and compatibility issues to a much bigger open source community.

Creating a virtual device driver in OS X is becoming less of an headache these days, partially thanks to MacFuse, a Mac port of FUSE coded by Google.

But I think even a commercial non-driver based program would be very welcome in the Mac community.

15. bratman91

bratman91 New Member

Mac Equivalent to AnyDVD

I know that this has been a topic of much correspondence on the forum but, unless I have missed something, most or perhaps all of it was over 2 years ago. For example, this Q and A was from January 2007:
    Q. Does Slysoft have any plans to offer versions of their software for Linux and Mac systems in the near future?
    A. No. Slysoft has no plans to release its products for Mac or Linux.

In the past few years, it seems that Mac computers have taken a growing part of the market and, as a result, provide a growing market for products with the functionality of AnyDVD. However, I have yet to be able to find anything that can match AnyDVD's capability - everything for Mac's has some limitation or other. For example, one of the programs seems to have a pretty good capability against encryption but can be used only if the Region Code of the disc drive matches that of the source DVD.

My point is that I would really love to have a Mac version of AnyDVD, and it seems from a huge number of posts in various forums that I am far from alone. Even a stripped down version that just sat between the disc drive and any other program, and simply removed Region Coding or encryption would be great as there are plenty of programs that can read unencrypted data and produce versions of it or burn a new DVD.

Come on Slysoft, you are widely acknowledged to be the gold-standard but could you perhaps throw a little bit of gold-dust on the Mac community?

16. bmiller

bmiller Member

I too have been waiting patiently. I have used Anydvd and clonedvd for years. I moved to Mac years ago, but still keep an old windows machine for backups. It would be nice to put the old thing to bed, and have some great software for the Mac. There are others out there, so it can be done, but we know slysoft will have the best and most stable when it's released. I hope that is soon.