Convert PAL DVD to NTSC DVD

Discussion in 'Third Party Products' started by cardiology, Dec 12, 2007.

1. cardiology

cardiology New Member

Hi.

How can I copy and then convert a PAL DVD to NTSC format so that I can play it on my NTSC ONLY TV?

Is there an option in CloneDVD so that I can set?

or any other program that can do that?

2. Charlie

Charlie Well-Known Member

Nero will do this but not CloneDVD2. Sorry.

3. cardiology

cardiology New Member

Thanks Charlie.
    Do you mean that if I want to backup a DVD movie from PAL to NTSC, I can first use AnyDVD onboard and cloneDVD to do the PAL backup, then use Nero to convert the backup disc to NTSC??

4. Charlie

If you want to go that way you can. I would just try it with Nero only first.

5. Webslinger

Webslinger Retired Moderator

In my opinion, it would just be simpler to get a region free dvd player that can also convert PAL to NTSC, such as the Oppo 981HD (if you live in the U.S.).

6. Charlie

This would as I did forget to mention doing pal to ntsc or vice versa there will be a quality loss too.

7. Webslinger

The quality loss is worse using conversion software in my experience. And the Oppo 981HD is quite good.

8. linx05

linx05 Well-Known Member

I thought the players just 'play' the two formats. No converting? At least that is how I thought it works here (where I live).

9. Charlie

This is correct we simply stated how to convert or better yet just get that player webslinger mentioned.

10. linx05

linx05 Well-Known Member

I meant the standalone DVD player. You and Webslinger said that it converts the formats.

11. Charlie

Sorry I was referring to Nero. Then Webslinger mentioned the player so one wouldn't need to do that.

12. Webslinger

In Region 1 (North America), most of the televisions will only accept NTSC, so the dvd player would have to convert PAL to NTSC (in addition to being region free). This Oppo dvd player can convert both ways (or output whatever you want, basically).

I should probably mention the Oppo981HD does not offer Component Video Output.

It does offer
    * HDMI: HDMI Specifications 1.1, CEA-861-B
    * S-Video Amplitude: Y: 1.0Vp-p (75 Ohm), C: 0.286Vp-p (75 Ohm)
    * Composite Video Amplitude: 1.0Vp-p (75 Ohm)

And I'm pretty sure the Oppo 983 is due to be released in the first quarter of 2008.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
  13. cardiology

cardiology New Member

Thanks for all the help. Actually, my TV only accepts NTSC input and therefore I need a DVD in NTSC format. I do not have a DVD player that can convert PAL to NTSC output.
    All I can do is only -- by burning a NTSC format DVD to be played on the DVD player.

I saw some PAL to NTSC convertor selling on ebay. I have bought one at $30 and I will see how this work out. I will give a report on this forum later on.

For the backup of DVD movies, can I use AnyDVD and then use Nero directly to burn a NTSC DVD backup from the original PAL DVD? Is there an option in Nero that I can set?

Thanks

14. Webslinger

15. cardzetc

cardzetc Well-Known Member

PAL to NTSC

I have noticed the conversation about converting disc from PAL to NTSC. I would like to know the easiest way to convert the disc, without having to buy a new player or TV. I just want to copy the PAL into NTSC period. I have never attempted this before and want the best results, thank you.