Converting IDE to SATA

Discussion in 'CD/DVD/BD Drives' started by jimbob, Feb 2, 2008.

1. jimbob

jimbob New Member

I just built a new desktop which only has 1 IDE connection I am using for floppy/zip connection. I own 2 HP DVD burners (640 & 1040) that are IDE as well. I purchased 2 VANTEC converters to convert them to SATA but when I cranked up the computer only one is recognized in device manager. VANTEC's instructions said to set the DVD drive to "master" but I am curious if one should be set as master and that is my problem? Any ideas?

2. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

What brand and model is the MOBO? What color are the SATA connectors?
    Floppy drives connect to the FDD header.....not IDE headers but I assume your Zip drive is using the one IDE connector?
    I would use the one IDE channel on the MOBO (Master-Slave or CS) for the optical drives and put the Zip drive onto the Vantec adapter.
    I would think that both drives would be set to Master as there is no Master Slave for SATA.

3. jimbob

jimbob New Member

Mother board is ASUS P5N32-E SLI PLUS. I agree floppies are on the FDD & zip is on the IDE. Still puzzled why MOBO will only recognize one optical drive?????

Last edited: Feb 3, 2008
  4. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

Are you sure that both drives and both adapters are good? Is the second drive recognized in the BIOS?
    I would still suggest putting the two optical drives to the MOBO IDE connector and use one of the adapters for the ZIP.

5. therivetman

therivetman Well-Known Member

Yes i agree

The burners would be best on the native IDE channels....the zip is fine on the new IDE to sata adapter

6. therivetman

therivetman Well-Known Member

single driver

often these devices use a single driver that can support only one burner....if its loaded under startup programs uncheck the box ...reboot reinstall the device drivers again...then check if you have 2 in start up...if so reboot...check both boxes and then reboot again to see if you can load the driver twice