Create image ISO. mds ?

Discussion in 'AnyDVD HD (Blu-ray)' started by consubtitulos, Feb 11, 2012.

1. consubtitulos

consubtitulos New Member

Im very naive in these kind of things so I will try to explain me as better as possible since I dont understand very well the techcnical parts.

when creating and iso back up from a DVD or BD
    if I use the option Rip to Image, why I dont have the option to creat a .mds file like when I was using dvddecrypter?

is there any differente between the iso file created by dvddecrypter and the iso file created directly by anyDVD HD?

what happens if I try to burn an image and I dont have the mds file?

Thanks in advance.
  2. RBBrittain

RBBrittain Well-Known Member

I'm not familiar with .mds files from DVD Decrypter, though I guess they're actually .md5 files (i.e., checksums). However, ImgBurn--developed from the rip/burn/ISO engine of DVD Decrypter after it was forced off the market--works just fine with AnyDVD ISOs, or its own ISOs created with AnyDVD active, without any files beyond the .iso itself. (It gives a warning if AnyDVD is active, but that's only because ImgBurn rips *may* fail verification due to AnyDVD's on-the-fly decryption.)
  3. evlncrn8

evlncrn8 Well-Known Member

hmmm.. the mds (now mdx) format was proprietary (owned by daemon tools / alcohol), the old version (mds/mdf) was essentially an iso file and a file containing sector timings (to emulate protections), this now is the mdf format (which also supports sector compression and encryption)....

with it being a proprietary format, this is probably the reason its not a choice anymore

(the md5 thing was a good guess though)
  4. RBBrittain

RBBrittain Well-Known Member

It shouldn't be necessary to emulate DVD structural and/or bad-sector protections anymore; AnyDVD itself removes those. (Also, BD doesn't have those protections.)
  5. Gummigutta

Gummigutta Translator (sv)

The .mds file from DVDD holds the layer break info and split info if the image was split into several 1GB pieces.
  6. consubtitulos

consubtitulos New Member

but the point is:

do I need the mds file to burn the DVD or isnt really needed?