How to use ANYDVD HD?

Discussion in 'AnyDVD HD (Blu-ray)' started by tonymuffin, Dec 19, 2009.

1. tonymuffin

tonymuffin Well-Known Member

I would like to be able to rip the BluRay and HD DVDs to a folder on the hard drive just like I do presently with ANY DVD / CloneDVD2. I use CloneDVD2 to rip the titles to subfolders under My Movies. Then I can play them through the MyMovies Windows Media plugin.

I realize that at this time CloneDVD2 will not rip HD or BluRay DVDs however, AnyDVDHD does. I have ripped the titles of one HDDVD as an experiement using AnyDVDHD to a subfolder under My Movies called King Kong.

My Movies
    King Kong
    HVDVD_TS (this folder contains a number of .EVO files)

My Movies shows the title but when I try to play it using MyMovies Windows Media Center plug in it says:

NO PLAYER: There were no players detected on your system capable of playing Blu-ray or HD DVD file structures.

I have also tried this using TotalMedia Theatre 3. When I launch TMT3 there is a FOLDER icon on the bottom tray. I assume this is for attempting to play files from the hard drive? When I click on it the options are: D:, E:, Open Disc folder, Open Media file.

If I select OPEN DISC FOLDER and navigate to My Movies and highlight the King Kong folder, the OK button becomes greyed out and does not allow me to select that movie.
    If I select OPEN MEDIA FILE and navigate to My Movies and open the King Kong folder, I can now select any of the files in any of the folders. I assume I want FEATURE_1.EVO. When I do it complains that in the trial verion of TMT3 the Dolby Codec is not available which may affect sound playback in titles with Dolby audio. I then click OK to continue and get a message of UNSUPPORTED FILE TYPE.

Windows Media Center also shows a plug in for ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre. However, when I select this and it launches there is no option to select a folder on my hard drive, only the DVD optical drives installed in the computer (one of which is a BluRay DVD burner).

So, what are the steps that will enable me to play HD and BluRay DVD titles ripped to my hard drive?

2. no_dice

no_dice Member

Not sure about HD DVD's but Blu-rays should play with TMT3 as you mentioned above using the 'Open Media Folder' method. You can also rip as an iso image and d/l Virtual CloneDrive then mount the iso and select the drive with TMT3, it should play just like a real BD disc in a real BD drive.
  3. Hawk

Hawk Well-Known Member

That should also work for HD DVD as well.
  4. tonymuffin

So, if the way to do this seems to be by ripping to an .iso image, using Virtual Clone Drive to mount the image... then why does AnyDVD HD rip the HD DVD in the file format it does? What is that used for?
  5. Adbear

Adbear Well-Known Member

Are you sure? I didn't think TMT 3 played back HD DVD's.
    AnyDVD HD gives the option of ripping as an image or as folders, so you must have chosen the folder option
  6. Hawk

Hawk Well-Known Member

Adbear, I have transformer two disc special edition HD DVD. When I insert in LG GGW H20L drive TMT3 Plays the disc with menu and everything. It is different story if arcsoft don't mention on their website.
  7. Peer

Peer SlySoft Development Team Staff Member

TMT 3 plays HD-DVDs wonderfully.
  8. SamuriHL

SamuriHL Moderator (en)

It's one of the many reasons I keep recommending TMT3 over PDVD. It supports HD DVD playback, but, it doesn't bitstream the audio formats for it. Nonetheless, you can have it decode them to LPCM 48/16 which is great. And it'll work from a folder, as well.
  9. tonymuffin

Ok... however, how does one do it when the HD or BluRay DVD files are ripped to folder? Everyone keeps saying it can be done. However, how?
  10. SamuriHL

SamuriHL Moderator (en)

Um, again, you need TMT2 or 3 to play from a folder. Do you have TMT2 or 3?
  11. tonymuffin

Yes. I state that in my beginning post.
  12. SamuriHL

SamuriHL Moderator (en)

All I ever do is use the open disc folder option that you say isn't working for you. So, I don't know what to tell you. I use it all the time on BD folders and haven't ever had a problem. I don't think I've tried it on an HD DVD, but, I see no reason why it won't work there, as well. What version of TMT3 are you using, 160?
  13. tonymuffin

14. SamuriHL

SamuriHL Moderator (en)

I wish I knew why it wasn't working for you but I really don't have a clue. Try making an ISO out of it and mounting that to see if it works.
  15. tonymuffin

I am planning on trying the .iso route today. However, one of my questions here is if the folder/file structure created by ripping the disc with ANY DVD HD is not supported (other than image .iso), what is that folder/file structure used for?

As I have explained, I used ANY DVD HD to rip King Kong HD to a folder. The folder contains 2 subfolders.
    • menus.aca
    • ProductionStillMenu.aca
    • VPLST000.XPL
    • etc
    • etc

When launching TMT3 there appears a little folder icon on the bottom to the left of the ARROW play button. When I click that a menu opens that lists:
    D: (Default)
    Open disc folder
    Open media file

I have tried opening both opens other than the drive letters. When I open the Open Disc Folder and navigate to thy My Movies folder with King Kong, the minute I select the King Kong folder or any one of it's subfolders the OK button is greyed out and does not allow me to select anything.

When I open select the Open Media File and navigate to the King Kong folder it requires that I open one of the subfolders and select something. I assume I need to select something under the HVDVD_TS subfolder. However, when I select ANY of the .EVO files contained in that subfolder (For example: FEATURE_1.EVO or MAINMENU.EVO I get a pop up that says:

ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre 3: Unsupported file type.

When I try to use the Windows Media Center ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre plug in, the plug in launches but there is no way to select any files to play so nothing happens.

Again, it has been clear from the beginning that ANY DVD HD allows one to rip to an image file (.iso) and to a folder structure. Even though I have not tried the image format way yet to play this movie I will. However, my question here is if ANY DVD HD allows one to rip to a folder/file format, how does one play that? Or, what is the purpose of ripping to that format if it cannot be played?

Those that are successfully getting this to play in this manner can you please outline exactly what you are doing incase it is different than what I am trying?

Also, I purchased the STANDARD version of TMT3. Does one need one of the other more expensive versions in order to do this?
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  16. Adbear

Adbear Well-Known Member

You need the TMT Platinum version to play back Blu-ray and HD DVD
  17. tonymuffin

The Platinum version? Sure would have saved a lot of time if someone had said that up front.
  18. mike_r

mike_r Moderator (de)

Use Clown_BD & convert your HD-DVD to Blu-Ray and watch the film with the standard version.
  19. SamuriHL

SamuriHL Moderator (en)

Uhhh, everyone here assumes that when someone says they're using PDVD9 they're talking Ultra, and TMT3 they're talking Platinum. :) So, that would have been good to make very clear in the beginning. However, yea, for folder playback you're going to need platinum.
  20. Adbear

Adbear Well-Known Member

Standard version doesn't play Blu-ray according to their website