LG GGC-H20L firmware discussion

Discussion in 'High Definition Hardware' started by Tony1M, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Tony1M

Tony1M Well-Known Member

Sounds good, but is there any down side to installing the new 1.03 firmware?

I freely admit that I'm more than a bit paranoid about installing any new software on our machine that already does what I want it to do. I would not put it past LG to cave in to whatever functionality "requests" are made of it by Sony, AACS, MPAA, or whoever.;)

In short, I want the reader to continue to read both HD-DVDs and BDs at least as well as it did before any firmware update. But maybe I'm being overly cautious on a simple firmware update.

2. DrinkLyeAndDie

DrinkLyeAndDie Moderator (en)

You could probably patch the 1.02 firmware, too. My drive came already flashed up to 1.02 and I never had any reason to patch it.

I know of no reason to not flash using the 1.03 firmware. It's been out for a month or so, I believe, and I've heard of no reported issues and I've experienced none, myself.

3. Tony1M

Tony1M Well-Known Member

Great. I've downloaded the v 1.03 firmware zip file from the LG site.

I've looked in device manager, but when I look at the ROM, all I see are the MS drivers - not a firmware version, so exactly how do I determine the present firmware version on the ROM and, if necessary, update, or "flash", to the new version?

Does the unzipped firmware file (I haven't unzipped it yet) contain an exe file that, when executed, installs the firmware update?

Can the firmware update be reversed, if necessary? (I doubt it.)

Thanks for the help.

4. Tony1M

Tony1M Well-Known Member

I used Nero to determine that the ROM's present firmware version is 1.05

5. DrinkLyeAndDie

If it's the LG GGC-H20L then I am confused. There is no firmware v1.05. Open your AnyDVD preferences and look at the status window. Click on the tab associated with your drive. Next to the drive model you'll see your firmware version. What does it say?

6. Tony1M

Tony1M Well-Known Member

Here's the screen capture:
    [​IMG]
    Presumably, the 1.05, to the left of the @ symbol that appears at the beginning of the long number, indicates a firmware version of 1.05 - the same number Nero reported.

I unzipped the zip file and, sure enough, there was a readme that contained instructions for updating the firmware.

GGC-H20L Version 1.03 Firmware Update

To update the firmware of the GGC-H20L please refer to the following instructions:

Note: Not following the subsequent update instructions explicitly will result in
    permanent damage to your drive, for which LG will not be responsible.

This firmware update is for drives with original firmware versions below 1.02.
    The drives must be original LG branded drives with the DVD Writer model number
    GGC-H20L(no OEM units).

If you have an OEM unit, branded with another manufacturers name,
    please contact that manufacturer for support and firmware updates.

This firmware update is for use only on PC¡¯s with Windows Vista, Windows XP.

¡Ø Critical Instructions: (to be followed carefully)

1. Connect the drive as¡°master¡±by it self, on the secondary IDE controller
    with no other device on the same IDE cable, making note to set the jumper
    on the back of the drive to the¡°master¡±position.

2. Download the file GGC-H20L_1.03(EW).ZIP to a folder of your choice.
    This download includes this¡°Read me(ew)¡±text file,
    as well as the GGC-H20L_1.03.EXE program, which will auto-update your drive's firmware.

3. Close all other programs including: screen saver, antivirus and/or power-down programs.
    (If these programs are not closed, they will try to engage the PC,
    during the update process, thus interrupting the update and damaging the drive).

4. Check the drive to ensure that there is no disk in the tray before you start
    the update procedure.

5. Go into the folder with the update file and double click the GGC-H20L_1.03.EXE program
    and click the ¡°update¡± button. Once the update is complete,
    you will see ¡°Firmware Update Complete¡± and then advise you to reboot the system.
    You will need to reboot your PC.

The update will be complete, after you reboot your system.

WARNING: Do not open any programs or start any system functions during the update,
    as they will interfere with data transfer and damage the drive.
    Do not cancel the operation once it has been started or the drive will
    become permanently damaged, as a result.

Fortunately or unfortunately, the ROM was an OEM part of an off-the-shelf HTPC. It is an HP model s3330f. I guess, as the instructions suggest, I should get a firmware update for the drive through HP.

7. DrinkLyeAndDie

Yeah, I'd get your firmware from HP. I'd be hesitant to screw around with the HP OEM firmware since I don't have enough information on it.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  8. Tony1M

Tony1M Well-Known Member

Thanks for the help, DLAD.:)

9. Tony1M

Tony1M Well-Known Member

I just chatted with HP and downloaded a firmware update that is version 1.07.

The "person" I was chatting with told me that this firmware update was for the drive only, and nothing else. I asked if anyone had reported any problems with the update and I was assured that installation would go very smoothly. I was also told that the update is irreversible - not comforting.

10. DrinkLyeAndDie

Well, irreversible firmware upgrades aren't a new thing so while I can see it being less than comforting it isn't necessarily something to be scared of, either. You could do an online search for discussion on the HP 1.07 firmware and see if anyone is reporting issues. If you find issues reported then hold off on the flashing. If you aren't having any issues with your drive and the current firmware then you may not even want to update it.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  11. Tony1M

Tony1M Well-Known Member

The only reason I'd do it is for the reported improved ripping speed - with LG's own version 1.03, at least.

I won't do the update unless I am abosolutely convinced that doing so will only help. Therefore, I will indeed do some research on HP's 1.07 update.

Thanks again.

12. andy o

andy o Well-Known Member

I already get 4.8x speeds at the highest (the max spec for dual-layer BDs for this drive), but I have this annoying high-speed noise when playing DVDs. I've mentioned this before, and I think someone else did too. Anyone noticed if 1.03 fixes this? Basically, with 1.02 and before, the drive isn't put in low-speed mode when playing a DVD movie.

13. DrinkLyeAndDie

I haven't noticed any noise issues with my drive. I'll have to experiment, though. My case has sound deadening in it and it has a closing front door so it really cuts down on noise. Add 2 small fans for air circulation in the room, itself, and I hear nothing from my drives.

I'll check on it later after I finish up cooking diiner.

14. Bigrick

Bigrick Well-Known Member

this discussion made me currious so i check my drive and it also says 1.07 but i am also using an HP i bought this computer back in Decemeber and i havent updated it myself so it was th version that came with it

15. BDMinus

BDMinus Well-Known Member

1.03 disables hd-dvd...saw this in the comments on newegg.com

I added an underline for emphasis:

Pros: This drive is excellent. Plays everything out of the box. Included software should be ignored. PowerDVD Ultra had issues playing most Blu-Rays, but a recent update fixed it. Until then I was using Corel WinDVD for Blu-ray. Corel had a habit of screwing up the aspect ratio of HD's, so it was a perfect pairing, PowerDVD for HD's, and Corel for Blu-rays. That changed with the PowerDVD update though, and I didn't need Corel any more.

Cons: was getting ready to reinstall OS from XP-Pro to Vista 64 Ultimate. Got a notice of a firmware update (1.03). I installed it.. and now I can't play HD-DVD's. Blu-rays still play perfect, but HD's crash out no matter what player you use. I called Tech Support at LG.. they know about the issue and their IS NO FIX. Reflashing an older firmware fixes nothing. The drive is borked for HD's now, and they are sneding me prepaid shipping labels to replace the drive

Other Thoughts: Newest and freshest updates aren't always the best idea. if something aint broke... don't screw with it. :( . I just bought 40 HD-DVDs for like $3 a piece brand new and now I can't watch them till they send my replacement drive (cry). Leave the firmware alone unless the an update SPECIFICALLY addresses an issue you're experiencing.

16. Webslinger

Webslinger Retired Moderator

This is complete and utter nonsense. 1.03 does not break HD-DVD playback. I have no issues in XP Pro nor Vista 64 bit Ultimate edition.

There's certainly a problem when someone can't flash a drive properly, however.

17. DrinkLyeAndDie

Nope, no issues with 1.03 firmware on my LG GGC-H20L drive. HD-DVDs play just fine.

18. ala42

ala42 Member

The GGC/GGW read speed patch was added with the last release. It should just speed up DVD reads. Could you post a nero cdspeed transfer test graph ?
    LG firmwares and flashers are fair, you can up- and downgrade as you like as long as you have the firmware. HP did release 1.07 only.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
  19. DrinkLyeAndDie

All I can tell you is I never broke 8 MB/s before patching the firmware. I was never hitting 2x read speed. After patching the firmware I easily got up to 4x. Another forum member can confirm reaching speeds of up to 21 MB/s after patching the firmware.

My LG GGC-H20L came with the 1.02 firmware. I have no idea why the patched firmware would help with BD read speeds but it definitely did something beneficial in my case.

Attached are three images:

1. Nero DiscSpeed Transfer Rate test
    2. AnyDVD HD ripper
    3. ImgBurn BD to ISO rip

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
  20. ala42

ala42 Member