MKV vs TS vs M2TS (for Blu-ray / HD-DVD rips)

Discussion in 'High Definition Software' started by jmone, Dec 13, 2009.

1. jmone

jmone Well-Known Member

I've have little luck in finding a good discusion on the relative merits of the different container formats for Blu-ray / HD-DVD rips for playback with standard Filters (eg FFDSHOW / Haali splitter) or streamed to UPnP/DLNA boxs. From what I've read:

- MKV: smallest in size but has a CPU overhead as the file needs to be parsed. Will now accept all the needed Video / Audio streams & codecs. Also supports Chapters but Blu-ray / HD-DVD SUP subtitles need to be convert to SUB/IDX.

- TS/M2TS: Slightly larger in size but lower CPU overhead as they do not need to be parsed. Will accept all the needed Video / Audio streams & codecs. Does not support Chapters and subtitles are an issue (you have to have them converted to as a seperate SUB/IDX file as if you there are no Filters to split and display the embedded SUP subtitles.

Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Thanks
    Nathan

2. fast eddie

fast eddie Well-Known Member

Just a comment:

All the source Blu-ray disks that I back-up associated with M2TS file(s) do have subtitles in the back-up.

If I go from a source Blu-ray disk to a ripped MKV format, and then build a homemade compliant Blu-ray structure then there are no subtitles.

Over 90% of the time associated with Blu-ray I will stay with M2TS files since there are quite a few software programs that work well with loading M2TS files.

I have only converted TS files to M2TS files to build a compliant Blu-ray structure.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009