My recent movies are darkening!!!

Discussion in 'General Hardware Issues' started by jsabath, Apr 19, 2012.

1. jsabath

jsabath New Member

Not sure what could cause this but it seems like some of the movies lately will get very dark on my screen almost like the brightness on my tv gets reduced then it will get bright again. Is there anything that could cause this? Is it my media/burner?

Thanks as always for help and suggestions

2. mike20021969

mike20021969 Well-Known Member

I'm not certain, but maybe your TV is going on the blink? Or maybe a cable connection is coming loose somewhere (pull them out and reinsert to make sure). Also, check disc playback on another DVD player/TV system or computer.

I've never had a copy of a DVD going dark/bright/dark/bright and I've got copies going back over 7 years that are still as perfect as the originals.

Maybe someone else can offer more assistance...

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  3. Adbear

Adbear Well-Known Member

That sounds like the kind of thing you used to get from Macrovision copy protection when trying to copy VHS tapes. Does it do the same thing on the original discs?

4. jsabath

jsabath New Member

Its not my tv/cables .. at least I don't think so.. it does it on my xbox as well as my dvd player in the bedroom. As for the tv no problems with either of them. I normally buy either memorex or sonys from Targay and have never had a problem with them. Not sure if that might be the issue or not but it's honestly the only thing that I can think of.

5. just curious

just curious Well-Known Member

Does your video signal pass thru a video recorder?

Does your video signal pass thru a video recorder on it's way to your tv?

As Adbear mentioned Macrovision can cause the dark/bright dark/bright issue if you run the video into a vcr than out to a tv even if you are not copying anything. Usually this only happens if you are playing a vhs tape or dvd disc with macrovision protection and you have run the video out from the player to the video input of a video recorder and the video out of the recorder to the video input on your tv.

Another possibility is a faulty video splitter if you are splitting the video signal or a bad video switch if your video goes thru either one on its way to your tv. I recently replaced a "one in - four out" amplified audio/video splitter that had symptoms similar to what you describe.

6. DrinkLyeAndDie

DrinkLyeAndDie Moderator (en)

I don't believe this is either an AnyDVD or CloneDVD issue. It just make sense to me. Definitely sounds like a hardware issue somewhere with the playback equipment, IMHO. I really can't see this issue as described being related to media or a burner, either.

What happens if the backup DVD is played on a PC with a software player? Does the same problem persist?

7. jsabath

jsabath New Member

I have a straight HDMI cable that goes directly to the tv for my xbox and the room with the dvd player. If I would take the movie out it would get dark at the exact same time on the xbox. So for example last night I was watching immortals and every night scene for the most part my tv got very very dim and when the scene changed to more of a daylight the brightness picked up. Some of the night scenes I could see fine but you can 100% notice a difference in the brightness when it's working and when it's not.

8. calcu007

calcu007 Well-Known Member

did you notice the problem if watch it in the computer??

9. jsabath

jsabath New Member

I have not actually.. I bought different media so going to test the PC as well the media tomorrow.. I will keep you all posted

10. Adbear

Adbear Well-Known Member

Did you test it with original discs?

11. mike20021969

I just had a thought...

I wonder if your TV has some sort of automatic picture adjustment (that works in the background).

We bought an LG TV a few months ago, and the picture changed in brightness with every scene (either broadcast TV or watching a DVD). I went into the picture settings and turned an auto setting off and that cured it for us. It was something like auto brightness or auto contrast or something. (It was a pain of a feature and should have been disabled by default).

12. raymon07373

raymon07373 Member

I Have the same it also does it in avi or mp4 files on the computer or any other device but it doesn't do it with all the movies it is like a macrovision protection

13. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g Well-Known Member

Macrovision protection only comes with VHS Tapes, not DVDs.

14. mike20021969

I've got many DVDs that say Copy Protected, and underneath, Macrovision on them.
    Here's the displayed logo...(the word Macrovision is missing, but it was the first image I found).

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  15. FurryGuy

FurryGuy Well-Known Member

I have seen dozens of DVDs that have a short clip the DVD is protected by Macrovision, as one of the annoying clips intro/outro clips that plays before or after playing the regular content. Universal discs seem to be the most prevalent in having Macrovision, mostly TV show collections.

If DVDs don't have Macrovsion (Analog Protection System) as a possible protection, then why is one of the feature you can remove listed as Analog Protection System? Right clock that selectable option and it says, in part, "(Macrovision)",

16. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g Well-Known Member

I admit, I WAS WRONG in saying Macrovision is only for VHS tapes! But Macrovision is checked as a DEFAULT in AnyDVD, and it's mostly used with older DVDs like TV shows. If no one plays arround with the original settings in AnyDVD, they shouldn't have thier original discs getting darker and lighter.:eek:

17. raymon07373

raymon07373 Member

I did not change any of the settings left everything default and it still does it on some movies not all