No more AnyDVD taskbar show??

Discussion in 'AnyDVD HD (Blu-ray)' started by Recycle, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Recycle

Recycle Well-Known Member

I noticed recently when I with 6.5.6.9 to 6.5.7.2beta that with my Avira A/V update and Nvidia driver update and spybot update that I am now missing Anydvd and Spybot teatimer on the taskbar? Does anyone know what is deleting those two resident taskbar programs from the registry? I know cause I compared images from 6.5.6.9 to 6.5.7.1 and found the registry needed to have those two taskbar resident program running is gone. Even a quick look at the msconfig shows that they are missing compared to previous msconfig images. I never had this happen before and stump as to how to fix it other then a new fresh install to see if that problem doesn't go away.

2. Webslinger

Webslinger Retired Moderator

This is almost always a security software related issue. And teatimer is known to cause conflicts with some installations of Anydvd.

If you're using Vista, then click this.

If you have Zonealarm on your system, ensure Anydvd is being given permission to access the trusted zone.
    Similarly if you have a firewall, antivirus or spyware program--ensure it's not blocking Anydvd from running.
    Provided you downloaded Anydvd from Slysoft's website, Anydvd is a safe program (you have nothing
    to be paranoid about).

If you have System Mechanic, System Mechanic Pro, or any kind of registry monitoring program, please ensure
    these programs are allowing Anydvd's installation program to modify your registry--as those programs can block
    Anydvd from installing properly.

If you keep getting "your trial has ended" messages, despite using your license key
    visit http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=196

If Anydvd says your drive is disabled, ignore the message unless you also receive it
    when you have a movie inserted in that drive.
    Some drives' firmware may report the wrong
    information to Anydvd. Often Anydvd will still function properly.
    visit http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=2891&postcount=12 (Zebadee's Anydvd works fine)

If Anydvd can't see your drives or they aren't listed, click the red fox icon on your toolbar. Navigate to "Drives"-->"Selection".
    Ensure your optical drives are checkmarked.

Right click the Anydvd icon on your desktop. Click "properties". Click the "Compatibility tab". If you're using
    Windows XP, ensure the box for "compatibility mode" is not selected. -- thanks to vbro for the information

linx05 says Teatimer enabled on Spybot can cause problems during installation: visit http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=36804&postcount=5

1. Exit out of all Slysoft programs and reinstall

a) Keep your license key file backed up safely
    b) Uninstall Anydvd (start-->all programs-->Slysoft--->Anydvd-->Uninstall)
    c) Reboot
    d) Try running a registry cleaner program at this point like CCleaner
    e) Download Anydvd http://static.slysoft.com/SetupAnyDVD.exe
    f) Exit all Slysoft programs (including Anydvd, Clonedvd2, Clonecd, Clonecdtray, Clonedvdmobile, etc.). Check Windows Task Manager if you have to.
    g) At this point disable your antivirus and firewall programs
    h) Reinstall
    i) Reboot
    j) Install your license key (if required) http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=732
    k) At this point enable your antivirus and firewall programs

3. Recycle

So then I should reimage back the old image and then shutdown and disable teatimer from running and install the newest version of Anydvd? I was also wondering as you mentioned if teatimer wasn't causing something to go array as well but couldn't confirm it. I did find some links to disable and stop tea timer so I give it another try again so that my resident AnyDVD will load and stay in the taskbar.

4. Webslinger

I would uninstall teatimer, and go through the steps I listed.

5. Recycle

I uninstalled and deleted all folder pertaining to spybot and teatimer. But even then the registry that loads Anydvdtray was missing? I had to manually edit the registery matching previous registry created by Anydvdtray just to get the taskbar icon to work. So now I don't have any trace of spybot or folder on my system. So now I edit it and installed 6.5.7.2 beta with this editing and it works now. But why did it work previous before with spybot and anydvd HD together and they both ran fine? Was there a change in AnyDVD or spybot to cause this problem when I updated both program?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
  6. fast eddie

fast eddie Well-Known Member

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.htm

In msconfig, you want to have as few start-up items as possible to gain performance from your computer. ONLY the items that are bare bone needed.

There are three methods of removing un-necessary start-up items.
    1. From the software program itself.
    2. From the start-up folder in start-up
    3. From the registry itself.

The above website will help you thru what start-up items to keep and what start-up items to get rid of.

This will make a HUGE DIFFERENCE in performance.

7. RBBrittain

RBBrittain Well-Known Member

Unless you think the OP's problem was caused by the registry being so overloaded that it "forgot" AnyDVD & Teatimer, I don't think this will solve it; in fact, overzealous registry cleaning may have caused the problem. (I run both AnyDVD & Teatimer in my startup tray with no problems.)

8. Recycle

That's my point exactly prior to this problem and any updates I did to my software either Spybot or Anydvd they co-existed just fine. And no there is no overzealous registry cleaning done over here. I updated the software reboot and then that when both taskbar for Anydvd and Teatimer are gone. And looking at past registry enteries of prior images and to compared to current registry they are gone from where they should be.

9. Webslinger

Do you have Spyware Guard or PC Tool's Spyware Doctor installed?

Possibly a change in Spybot, but I just installed Spybot (to test) without Teatimer, and I'm not having any issues. So I'm not sure what's going on in your case.

10. Recycle

That's my point exactly how come before it worked with both of them installed and now with Spybot updated it doesn't work and both resident program are gone plus the registry from previous registry comparisons show the two registry where they should be are gone now. I got it to reload Anydvd HD resident on the taskbar after having to edit the registry matching up with previous images of working Anydvd so that it would load AnyDVD HD in the taskbar when Win starts. But I noticed a odd thing about Anydvd that the autostart feature remains unchecked even after you check it. I check the box and restart the Win and then check Anydvd and the autostart feature is unchecked. I know from previous AnyDVD HD that autostart stay checked why it changes now I don't know why??

11. Webslinger

A couple people have mentioned that rolling back to an older Nvidia driver resolves this issue for them, but I can't reproduce the problem, and a friend of mine can't either.

12. Recycle

Now why would a Nvidia drive have problem with slysoft software? Did those users mention what version they were using and on what GPU? I did get it to work but what I did was to regedit and go to local machine registry and create a registry so that it would autostart AnyDVD taskbar and then reinstall AnyDVD and this time the user and local registry did stay along with teatimer. Not sure why this worked but it did and looking at the location where the previous registry in user registry was missing is now present there. So I am not wholly sure what went on or what happened???? I am still at a lost but now it working properly and coexisting well with teatimer.....If there any programmers whom knows more I would greatly apprieceted the explanation of why or what's going on?????

13. Webslinger

I have no clue since I have no issues on the systems I tested on.

GPU shouldn't matter.

It's this driver: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_190.38_whql.html

14. Recycle

That's the driver and software that I am using now. But with the edit to the registry it seems to work so far I find out when I get the latest release of Anydvd HD and install it and run it to find out how it goes.

15. Webslinger

They claim that's the one that's causing problems. I'm a little sceptical since I can't reproduce the problem on three different computers. That's not to say that driver isn't part of the problem--but I rather suspect security software (registry monitoring, anti-spyware, antivirus) to be causing the conflict in conjunction with that nvidia driver.

If that nvidia driver is the problem then why can't I reproduce the issue?

Yeah, sorry, I'm sure exactly what's going on there. I can't reproduce it.

16. Webslinger

Actually, here's what I would do.

1. Disconnect from the internet

2. Uninstall Avira.

3. Uninstall Spybot and teatimer.

4. Uninstall any registry monitoring programs

5. Uninstall Anydvd

6. Uninstall nvidia driver

7. Reboot

8. Disconnect from the internet

9. Install Anydvd

10. Reboot. Disconnect from the internet Any problems?

11. Install Nvidia driver.

12. Reboot. Disconnect from the internet. Any problems?

13. Install Aviria.

14. Reboot. Any problems?

15. Install Spybot and whatever else.

16. Reboot. Any problems?

That's a pain, but it might help narrow down where the problem lies.

17. Recycle

Here's what I found so far I went back to 188.xx nvidia driver and installed AnyDVD 6.5.7.4 befoer installing 190.38 nvidia driver-I might have the number version wrong but you understand what I am trying to eliminate if the older or newer driver is causing the problem in the registry. What I found out is with 188.xx the Anydvd and teatimer taskbar icon and registry remains but once you install 190.38 the registry for both vanishes and plus the autostart in Anydvd won't stay checked. So looks like this version of Nvidia is causing more problem then it was suppose to fix. Looks like I have to contact Nvidia and their forums and find out what is going on. So as far as my testing is concern Nvidia version 190.38 is removing the registries for both Anydvd and Spybot teatimer. So unless I hear differently from Nvidia I am saying it's their Nvidia 190.38 driver and software that is the causing the problem. Sounds more like a bug in 190.38 that is removing registry it shouldn't remove and worse it doesn't inform the user and only after restart then would you notice you have missing icons and registries that should be running.

18. Webslinger

Maybe . . . Doesn't really explain why I can't reproduce the problem though. But I don't have teatimer installed.

Also, click http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=213022&postcount=4

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  19. Recycle

Not sure why that happens but I know it happened when I went from 188.xx to 190.38 that when those two running taskbar icon stopped working. But since it happened after I installed 190.38 my hunch is leaning toward something 190.38 is doing.