Nooobie-glitch in .avi file after converting

Discussion in 'AnyDVD HD (Blu-ray)' started by Ar-Pharazon, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon New Member

I have purchased licenses for both AnyDVD HD ( & DVDFab 8 (

I had previously fiddled around w/the trial versions and found these were the best bets for BD ripping.

I used AnyDVD HD to "Rip Video DVD to Harddisk" from the BD for Despicable Me. Seemed to go OK.

Then I used DVDFab 8 to "rip" from that folder since it would not read & open the BD itself.

I did 2 versions, one with 5.1 audio and one with stereo. Both were top level of video quality (1920x1040).

Now the issue is, they both glitch out in WMP12 at exactly the same point, which would lead me to believe the issue is with AnyDVD.

I can skip past the problem moment (1:25:07), only when I allow it to run normally to that point does it error out.

This is the message BTW:

I'm testing it by re-ripping it with AnyDVD but am trying the "Rip to image" option instead, mainly to see if it works.

Anybody have this kind of problem?

2. Hawk

Hawk Well-Known Member

First of all ditch dvdfab that is known cause weird problems. Just look around in there forum any you will get the point. It causes problem with almost every software out there.

If you think anydvd is problem rip the disc and then play in one of the offical players and see if this happens. By offical I mean windvd, arcsoft or powerdvd.

Also Windows media player is not the best choice for playback. Media player classic is better option or even vlc i think.

For converting try handbrake which is way better than dvdfab (a.k.a dvd crap) and it is also free.

On a side note fab also have ability to rip the disc. If it can't without help of anydvd then it is useless.
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  3. PrincipalityFusion

PrincipalityFusion Well-Known Member

So you first rip it with AnyDVD, then you process it through DFab and somehow you extrapolate that it's AnyDVD's fault.

Not sure how you come to that conclusion, but AnyDVD is a driver and does not touch the audio or video. DFab actually does touch the video/audio (to do things like compress it) so from that, I would lean more towards DFab being the culprit.

The only sure way to test however is to rip first with AnyDVDHD to iso or file structure. Then, using the original disk again, rip with DFab to iso or file structure. Play both and see what happens.

If DFab can't even read the original disk, then in my world, that's called a deal breaker, and i wouldn't even continue with the A/B comparison.

It's up to you though, but what i've recommended above would be the only fair way to judge between both i think.

Finally, if you want to convert to AVI, then i would use something like BDRebuilder to produce and MKV file and then download one of the many freeware MKV to AVI converters. Simply google "mkv to avi converter" and choose to taste.
  4. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon New Member

Well again, what gave me the idea to look at AnyDVD was that after converting two separate times into two slightly different .avi files (from the AnyDVD )ripped folders, the glitch occurs at exactly the same time in the video.

I figure DVDFab would make mistakes at different times and of different kinds if it's going to.

I had AnyDVD make an .iso file instead of ripping to a folder. When I get home in the morning I'll start DVDFab on the .iso file and see what happens. I did have AnyDVD do the slow&steady speed this time, instead of automatic, in case that has any bearing.
  5. Adbear

Adbear Well-Known Member

Doesn't Despicable me use seamless branching? I suspect the glitch is where it hits a file change. Try running it through something decent like Clown BD to make a movie only file then use that file
  6. Blackjack Davy

Blackjack Davy Active Member

Why are you putting h264/VC1 into an AVI container anyway? AVI is old and doesn't mix well with newer codecs and playback is likely to be flakey at best. Choose MKV, MP4 or M2TS instead.
  7. PrincipalityFusion

PrincipalityFusion Well-Known Member

Another thing. Don't process your AnyDVD created ISO with DFab. That's what I was trying to communicate. DFab is supposed to do everything AnyDVDHD can so it should be able to create it's own ISO file.

It's simple really.
    1) Create ISO with AnyDVDHD. Does it play?
    2) Create ISO with DFab. Does it play?

Take the ISO that plays the best and use that to make an AVI file. Although, i would recommend MKV as another poster did. It works much better with high definition material.
  8. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon New Member

What do I use to play an ISO?
  9. Adbear

Adbear Well-Known Member

You mount it in VCD and then use something like PDVD or TMT to play it as a disc