Old Computer Parts Going In The Trash

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by fast eddie, Apr 8, 2012.

1. fast eddie

fast eddie Well-Known Member

Ever looked inside a computer and the backplane of a computer built in 2001 compared to a computer built in 2012?

Where is the connection for a PS2 keyboard and PS2 mouse?
    Where are the IDE connections primary and secondary off the motherboard for a dual layer IDE connection optical drive?
    Where is the serial connection on the backplane?
    Most new high end motherboards don't have but one high end card slot and is used for the graphics card.
    Super light case almost looks like it is made of plastic.
    Is everything going to a USB connection?

File 13 for ALL my outdated computer spare parts:D

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  2. Adbear

Adbear Well-Known Member

A lot of current motherboards still have a PS2 socket, I have one on the latest 2011 socket boards, and full size ATX boards still have the same amount of slots on them as older boards, they've just moved on from PCI to PCIe. If your system only has one expansion socket then it's not a full size ATX or even mATX as even mATX has 4 expansion slots so I wouldn't consider it high end if it only has 1 expansion slot as those boards are MiniITX boards designed for HTPC's and not really as highend systems. Also you can get Sandybridge boards that still have parallel posts and serial ports. As to the IDE sockets, why bother putting them on when no one makes IDE drives anymore

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  3. Pelvis Popcan

Pelvis Popcan Well-Known Member

There are a LOT of businesses that still rely on equipment that needs things like parallel and serial ports and such, so there are still places that make motherboards that have them for businesses that still need them.

I think some of the latest EVGA boards still have a primary IDE port.

A lot of gamers actually prefer PS2 keyboards. For example, on Rosewill's Cherry MX mechanical keyboards, if you hook them up via PS2, you could press all 104 keys at the same time and not have any key jamming. In USB mode, you can only have a six key rollover.