Region Locked RPC2 Drive error/problem/issue/thing

Discussion in 'AnyDVD' started by stefanaalten, May 16, 2012.

1. stefanaalten

stefanaalten Member

AnyDVD HD version:

When I insert DVD ("A State of Mind") I receive this warning message:

I have found some posts that indicate I should set the region on my DVD drive. Is this a once-only operation that cannot be undone, i.e. region is set for all time, or can it easily be reset/changed as many times as I want?

Many thanks in advance for any help!

Attached Files:

2. Hawk

Hawk Well-Known Member

Normally you are allowed to change up to five time. However in your case the drive you are using will require you to change everytime you wanna watch movie from different region. This applies to you becuase of Matshita Drive. Again see point 3 in your first post for drive which is known to cause this problem. It should also be noted no software can over come this. However if you have drive which don't fall in any of the brand listed in point 3 then you only need to set region once and forget about it.
  3. libather

libather New Member

I have the same issue, with my acer aspire5733! really not happy as ive used AnyDVD for years :bang:

Where can i find rpc1 up to date patched firmware?
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  4. Ch3vr0n

Ch3vr0n Translator nl

There is no such code nor patch.
  5. libather

libather New Member

so is there nothing i can do to rectify this issue? Is an external dvd drive my only option? Sorry i have a bit of knowledge but i can't make head nor tail of this :(

My drive is a MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8BOAW
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  6. Ch3vr0n

Ch3vr0n Translator nl

the reason matshita (laptop drives) usually can't decrypt css protected dvd's from another region is because they have the region code HARDWARE embedded instead of desktop drive FIRMWARE (software based) inside the drive. If you want to avoid problems the best option is indeed an external drive.
  7. RBBrittain

RBBrittain Well-Known Member

Your drive (actually UJ8B0AW) doesn't show any RPC1 firmware available. Make sure your region is set in hardware (temporarily disable AnyDVD then use Device Manager); if it still won't work, replace it with another brand of drive. DVD drives are cheap nowadays; most brands don't have problem #3, so AnyDVD will work if the hardware region is set once. Just pick a brand other than Ricoh, Philips or Matshita/Panasonic and you'll probably be fine. (I've never seen that with any of my drives, including three LGs and a Samsung.)

OTOH, the OP's drive (Matshita UJ-862A) has RPC1 firmware available here.
  8. RBBrittain

RBBrittain Well-Known Member

I don't think that's quite accurate. The issue (as described in #3 in the OP) is that Matshita drives don't allow AnyDVD to bypass the RPC2 mechanism entirely by reading discs as encrypted data, as most other brands do. Flashing to RPC1 would get around this, but there's no RPC1 firmware for that drive; THAT part might be a hardware-vs.-firmware issue.

Being a laptop, an external drive would be the easiest solution. However, if he's comfortable with laptop repair he could try another brand of laptop drive.
  9. libather

libather New Member

Your right it just won't let me bypass it :0( So, my alternative is to purchase an external dvd drive that will but this girl is now lost to what to get!! Need help from you savvy boys!!

I tried windump and winflash and region killer but as you already know RBBrittan it won't work!!

Acer Aspire 5773 windows 7 64bit.......

10. libather

libather New Member

Samsung Super WriteMaster Slim External DVD Writer USB Powered (8x DVD / 24x CD)

Would this one be ok do you think??
  11. fatboyslim

fatboyslim Active Member

Hi Pal,

I'm using an Acer Aspire 7735 and use an external DVD writer - burner. I use an LG slim portable DVD writer and have never looked back. Its more powerful than the in built DVD in the laptop and since i have been using it I have not had any off the problems you are having. I chose the LG because a lot of the people in the know on here recommended the LG brand and have to say its bang on :disagree: